JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mackan (Offline)
New to JF

A spot of trouble, please assist. - 07-05-2010, 06:06 PM

I have made reservations to a trip to Tokyo tomorrow actually, going from Copenhagen, transferring by Amsterdam to Narita airport.

Here is the pickle, I tried to make reservations to a hotel but my card (VISA) gets a decline becasue it lacks the capacity to pay for 13 days and I wanted to pay in cash upon arrival

I hate paying with my card over the net, I simply do not trust it. The problem is I made the reservation over a week ago and they decide to decline me one day before I go! If they had gotten to me earlier I might have been able to arrange something by my bank.

Do anyone have any tips on hotels (capsule or whatever) were I can just show up, get a room and pay cash. I simply couldn´t get through all the paperwork needed in one single day so basically I go on cash for now.

Please advise

Love my tunes, love my life.

Greetings all
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-05-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
I have made reservations to a trip to Tokyo tomorrow actually, going from Copenhagen, transferring by Amsterdam to Narita airport.

Here is the pickle, I tried to make reservations to a hotel but my card (VISA) gets a decline becasue it lacks the capacity to pay for 13 days and I wanted to pay in cash upon arrival

I hate paying with my card over the net, I simply do not trust it. The problem is I made the reservation over a week ago and they decide to decline me one day before I go! If they had gotten to me earlier I might have been able to arrange something by my bank.

Do anyone have any tips on hotels (capsule or whatever) were I can just show up, get a room and pay cash. I simply couldn´t get through all the paperwork needed in one single day so basically I go on cash for now.

Please advise
I never booked hotels when I traveled around Japan. There was always something available somewhere. I doubt every hotel in Tokyo will be fully booked, just ask around or look up some when you get there.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Mackan (Offline)
New to JF

07-05-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
I never booked hotels when I traveled around Japan. There was always something available somewhere. I doubt every hotel in Tokyo will be fully booked, just ask around or look up some when you get there.
Thank you, I continue to read up on travelstories from people that has been in japan, seems as if I would simply get in trouble if I just relied on my swedish VISA/bank card.

So... is cash "king"?
Can I get rooms using cash only?

Love my tunes, love my life.

Greetings all
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-05-2010, 09:14 PM

You will not be able to stay at a hotel without a credit card. You can pay cash at the end of your stay, but will need to hold the room with a card. Luckily there is no shortage of hotels.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-05-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You will not be able to stay at a hotel without a credit card. You can pay cash at the end of your stay, but will need to hold the room with a card. Luckily there is no shortage of hotels.
That must have changed recently then, because I always paid cash up front and had no problem, they didn't ask for a card. It might depend upon where you go, though.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-05-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
That must have changed recently then, because I always paid cash up front and had no problem, they didn't ask for a card. It might depend upon where you go, though.
I haven't stayed at tons of hotels, but stayed at a couple in Tokyo this year and a credit card number was required up front, and then I had the option to pay cash at the end of the stay. The card was to ensure I paid for room service, laundry, etc.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-06-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
I haven't stayed at tons of hotels, but stayed at a couple in Tokyo this year and a credit card number was required up front, and then I had the option to pay cash at the end of the stay. The card was to ensure I paid for room service, laundry, etc.
If you pay for everything up front though before you stay I do not see why they would need a credit card.

Last time I stayed at hotel I just paid in cash when I arrived.

So unless room service etc, works on a charge system I do not see why more hotels would not opt just to do a cash upfront system. This is Japan (the land of paying in cash) after all.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-06-2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
If you pay for everything up front though before you stay I do not see why they would need a credit card.

Last time I stayed at hotel I just paid in cash when I arrived.

So unless room service etc, works on a charge system I do not see why more hotels would not opt just to do a cash upfront system. This is Japan (the land of paying in cash) after all.
But if I want to purchase a movie or take a drink or snack from the fridge, who am I supposed to pay?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-06-2010, 03:03 AM

I know in the properties I manage in Niseko we require a credit card even though we always get payment in full up front. It's mainly in case of damage to the apartment which you may not be aware of until well after they've checked out.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-06-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
The places I stayed at weren't fancy enough to have laundry, room service, etc. And this was 12+ years ago when credit cards were rarer in Japan... apparently, they are starting to move away from such a cash-based society, though it's still more-so than the US. Finally, nearly all the places were outside of Tokyo, mainly from Hiroshima to Nagasaki and in between.