JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
katkwong (Offline)
New to JF

Driving: Kyoto --> Kibune / Arashiyama - 07-19-2010, 12:13 PM

We're a family of 4 including a 16-month-old baby. We'll be visiting Kyoto for 9 days in early August. We have some questions regarding driving--

(1) We'll planning to have a couple of excursions, one to Kibune (Kurama) and another to Arashiyama. We're wondering whether it would be better for us to rent a car - how is parking and how would the traffic be outside Kyoto?

Renting a car would mean giving the baby a chance to nap on the long ride - he doesn't nap well except in cars (or in my arms!! )

(2) On day 1, should we drive from the Osaka airport to Kyoto (Hyatt Regency)?

(3) Would it be REALLY insensible to drive INSIDE Kyoto? How bad is parking?

Thanks a lot!
Katherine
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-20-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkwong View Post
We're a family of 4 including a 16-month-old baby. We'll be visiting Kyoto for 9 days in early August. We have some questions regarding driving--

(1) We'll planning to have a couple of excursions, one to Kibune (Kurama) and another to Arashiyama. We're wondering whether it would be better for us to rent a car - how is parking and how would the traffic be outside Kyoto?

Renting a car would mean giving the baby a chance to nap on the long ride - he doesn't nap well except in cars (or in my arms!! )

(2) On day 1, should we drive from the Osaka airport to Kyoto (Hyatt Regency)?

(3) Would it be REALLY insensible to drive INSIDE Kyoto? How bad is parking?

Thanks a lot!
Katherine
When it comes to driving - I would say it depends on where you`re coming from and if you have experience driving in Japan.
For a lot of people, it seems that Japan is an extremely stressful driving experience - not to mention driving on the left instead of the right as is most common. Roads tend to be very narrow and road rules and manners may be considerably different from what you`re accustomed to.

I personally don`t think parking is usually all that bad - but it may be fairly pricey... Particularly in tourist areas.
You may find it a better value to do long distance travel by train and then the shorter bits by taxi.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
katkwong (Offline)
New to JF

07-20-2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks, Nyororin.

We're from Hong Kong and are used to city traffic (though not sure how Kyoto traffic compares to that of Hong Kong!) We drove in Hokkaido 2 years ago but I guess the Hokkaido roads are a much different story!

Last edited by katkwong : 07-20-2010 at 09:40 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
07-20-2010, 01:25 PM

I don´t think driving in Japan is to bad, but roads around Osaka/Kobe are very different from Hokkaido.
Parking can be difficult in Kyoto itself and a bit pricy in touristy areas.
I´d recommend to go by train because you´re covering quite short distances and i think its less of a hassle going by train than by car ( both places you want to visit should be connected by a more or less frequent train).
Renting a car can be a good experience outside the city areas but i wouldn´t recommend it in your case.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-21-2010, 03:24 AM

If you`ve driven around in Japan before, you really should be okay. I don`t think Japanese traffic is a quarter as bad as people seem to think it is. And to top that, Kyoto isn`t really a huge city. I drive around in Nagoya pretty much every day - have driven through Kyoto quite a few times, and drive around Osaka fairly regularly... And it`s not that bad at all. Maybe Tokyo is horrific and it is coloring the perception of the entire country - I`ve never driven there.

Chances are Kyoto traffic is going to be much lighter than that in Hong Kong. It really isn`t that big of a city.

With kids, a car beats the train in almost every way for travel convenience. Riding the train alone is fine and all, but dragging children around through the train system is the opposite of what I`d consider "convenient". Even more so if the place you`re heading isn`t right in front of the station. Walking a km or more with a baby in your arms and a small child in tow probably isn`t going to be fun.

But this is just my opinion as a mother with a car.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
07-21-2010, 01:09 PM

I also think driving in Kyoto shouldn´t be as bad as in HK. I just experienced the train to be very convenient, on time and frequent in Japan, that is why i recommended it. Of course i was looking from the point of a single traveller who wanted to get around cheap. Parking usually is not cheap and neither is renting a car (except in Okinawa or 1month + ) so i suggested the train.
But i guess that for a family a car might be more convenient and eventually cheaper.
Personally i prefer a car, but i experienced Kyoto itself to be very easy to get around (by foot or train) but i was alone so i guess Nyorin is right.

: )

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
katkwong (Offline)
New to JF

07-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Thanks a lot for the tips. It's great to get your blessing, Firebird. We've decided to rent a car!

Nyororin, it's always nice to be able to talk to another mom-in-car in another country! I'm so relieved to know that driving in Kyoto wouldn't be that bad as we've suspected - you know, with 2 kids to drive around, I basically live in a car during the day! And you're right, I still remember how we had to drag our daughter's stroller up and down the stairs in subway stations in Osaka 2 years ago! (We have a photo to prove it.)

Now I have a question - are there any popular sights in Kyoto that have parking far away from the main attraction area? We might have to avoid going there then.

Thanks again,
Katherine

Last edited by katkwong : 07-24-2010 at 03:16 PM.