JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
katkwong (Offline)
New to JF

Kyoto with 5-year-old and toddler? - 07-19-2010, 12:26 PM

Hi we're a family of four, with a soon-to-be-5-year-old girl and a 16-month-old boy.

We'll be visiting Kyoto for 9 days (7 full days) in early August and were wondering if people have any recommendations for special things to do with children. For instance I'm thinking of having my daughter go to one of the mochi making workshops while her brother takes a nap. Also thinking of the 45-minute geisha performance.

Which temple / shrine and garden would be most suitable / tolerant of children who might not be the quietest and willing to sit still?

Every day we'll need a relatively quiet place to walk around so that the baby can fall asleep in his stroller. Any suggestions in that direction also?

We'll be staying at the Hyatt Regency. Might take a couple of excursions, perhaps to Kibune, and perhaps another one of Arashiyama.

Thanks a lot!
Katherine
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kingindou (Offline)
New to JF

07-19-2010, 05:13 PM

Where are you from?
Kyoto is too hot and humid in Early August.If you are from an Asian country which is hotter than Japan,it would not be a problem.But if you are from other country, you will experience hottest and most humid summer in your life.
I think it is worst season to walk around.Especially for a 16-month-old boy.I never recommend walking around with him in the daytime.You can never be too careful of Hyperthermia.

As for temple / shrine and garden,you don't need to worry about.Kyoto receives over 30 million tourists annually.They are not so strict about the quiet in famous sightseeing spots.In other words,you can't expect the quietest atmosphere there too.

Do you know eigamura?
Toei Kyoto Studio Park
Though it is an amusement park and doesn't have real temple / shrine ,I think normal five year child prefers it to old religious buildings.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
katkwong (Offline)
New to JF

07-20-2010, 09:36 AM

Thanks a lot, kingindou.

We're from Hong Kong.