JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
katkwong (Offline)
New to JF

Lots of luggage AND small children on train from Kansai to Kyoto... - 07-30-2010, 11:50 AM

We (2 adults + baby + 5-year-old) would be flying into Osaka (international flight) arriving at around 3pm on a Sunday afternoon. We'll be staying in Kyoto the whole trip and are wondering about the train from Kansai to Kyoto.

How hard would it be for us to take the train with 2 big suitcases, 2 small bags, a stroller + baby, and a small child who can only carry her own backpack? Do you know if we could use the baggage push-cart from the baggage claim area all the way to the door of the train?

Is there any porter service to help passengers put luggage onto the train? Or am I only day-dreaming?

After we arrive at Kyoto Station, are we even in more trouble to go from the train to the taxi stand? I suppose there wouldn't be any porter service available to help us take the luggage right from the TRAIN all the way to the taxi stand until the taxi arrives? Or can we at least use s baggage trolley from the TRAIN all the way to the taxi stand?

We thought of the baggage delivery service, but they can deliver only as quickly as 10am the next morning. Which means I'll have to pack a bag for the night. And packing a bag "for the night" is like packing the whole house when you have a baby!

We also thought of renting a car right at the airport, (since we'll be renting one later on anyway), but they ran out of English-GPS cars that are big enough to hold our luggage...... sigh

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by katkwong : 07-30-2010 at 11:53 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-30-2010, 06:21 PM

I answered this exact question yesterday.

Highway Bus ticket help?

I recommend the limo bus. I know of no porter service on the trains, although people tend to be pretty helpful.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
katkwong (Offline)
New to JF

07-31-2010, 12:16 AM

Oh thanks a lot, MMM!

OK, so i emailed the hotel last night. Turns out there's a porter service for 500yen a piece from baggage claim area to the train platform, and up to the train too if there's enough time. But I suppose the luggage storage situation would be better on the bus?

We're going to the Hyatt Regency, so do you think it's faster to go by train or by bus on a Sunday afternoon? (Our flight arrives at Kansai at 2:45pm)

Also, after we arrive at Kyoto, is it easier to get from the bus or from the train to the taxi stand? Thanks a lot, MMM!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
crossmr (Offline)
New to JF

08-01-2010, 09:07 AM

I took the more expensive train out of Kansai into Osaka last november. A few people had big bags. there was lots of room on the train, they stowed their bags without issue. The train was pretty spacious and comfortable