JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
WorkingToTravel (Offline)
New to JF

What to do with 21 Hours in Tokyo - 09-13-2010, 08:43 PM

I am traveling in October. I have a 21 hour layover in Tokyo and I'd like to get as much in as I can. My flight arrives around 6:00 Pm and I leave the next day at around 3:00 PM. Realistically I would probably need to get to the airport by noon.

Please let me know what you would do with such a short amount of time there.

I'm not sure there is much to do late in the evening or early in the morning, but I will go without sleeping if I can find something to do to fill the entire time.

I'll be traveling alone - just to keep that in mind with any tips.

Thank you in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-13-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingToTravel View Post
I am traveling in October. I have a 21 hour layover in Tokyo and I'd like to get as much in as I can. My flight arrives around 6:00 Pm and I leave the next day at around 3:00 PM. Realistically I would probably need to get to the airport by noon.

Please let me know what you would do with such a short amount of time there.

I'm not sure there is much to do late in the evening or early in the morning, but I will go without sleeping if I can find something to do to fill the entire time.

I'll be traveling alone - just to keep that in mind with any tips.

Thank you in advance.
There should also be a place you can store your luggage until you are ready to get back on the plane (for a fee, of course).
Give yourself about 90 minutes to get too and from the airport to central Tokyo.

There are always things open, but if you are planning on staying up all night, I hope it is a weekend.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
WorkingToTravel (Offline)
New to JF

09-13-2010, 08:58 PM

It is a Friday night - leaving on Saturday.

Good to know there is somewhere to leave my luggage - I hoped there would be.

Thanks for letting me know on travel time in and out of the airport. I think I will probably rent a car. Now I just need to decide where to go and what to do. And then figure out if I can get it all in.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-13-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingToTravel View Post
It is a Friday night - leaving on Saturday.

Good to know there is somewhere to leave my luggage - I hoped there would be.

Thanks for letting me know on travel time in and out of the airport. I think I will probably rent a car. Now I just need to decide where to go and what to do. And then figure out if I can get it all in.
Don't rent a car. Or prepare to add quite a bit to that lead time. It is faster and cheaper to take the train (Narita Express) to Tokyo station and go from there.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-13-2010, 11:01 PM

If you're young, (or even if you're not) the sight of thousands of people crossing the now-famous Shibuya crossing would be something to see. It's quite a spectacle in an area perfect for a Friday night. It will give you some idea of what young people do there.

I'm not someone who has been in Tokyo much-only 12 days so far (adding 11 more in 21 days!), but I can't imagine missing that place. Anyone beg to differ?

If you decide to crash, there are capsule hotels nearby as well, though I don't know how those really work.

Last edited by JohnBraden : 09-13-2010 at 11:07 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

09-14-2010, 12:21 AM

there are storage locker available in narita airport. hop on the limousine bus that will take you directly to shinjuku. When u get to shinjuku, remember where you got off, that is the same place you will get on the bus back to narita.

shinjuku is a fun if you like nightlife. go to the east side of shinjuku station and have fun.

the limo bus are on the west side btw.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-14-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
there are storage locker available in narita airport. hop on the limousine bus that will take you directly to shinjuku. When u get to shinjuku, remember where you got off, that is the same place you will get on the bus back to narita.

shinjuku is a fun if you like nightlife. go to the east side of shinjuku station and have fun.

the limo bus are on the west side btw.
The limo bus is surely cheaper than the Narita Express. Good thinking Samokan (though I always like riding the Narita Express when I can).
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-14-2010, 12:50 AM

Bus will run you 3000 yen each way.

Makes stops at various hotels, but the key stop is the bus terminal

It'll drop you in this neck of the woods in Shinjuku

(#9 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

09-14-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The limo bus is surely cheaper than the Narita Express. Good thinking Samokan (though I always like riding the Narita Express when I can).
i also like the narita express, but with a big/heavy luggage .. its no fun at all.

the bus although slowler than narita express, is convenient it stops directly at the departure gate in narita and get me to shinjuku without the hassle of stairs

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-14-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
i also like the narita express, but with a big/heavy luggage .. its no fun at all.

the bus although slowler than narita express, is convenient it stops directly at the departure gate in narita and get me to shinjuku without the hassle of stairs
It is the best train for big heavy luggage (like Rapito in Kansai) because of the bigger doors and wide space (though fewer seats). However, he is probably going to store his luggage at the airport, so no worries about that.

I still think the bus is a better call. You can see more, even if it is slower, and the seats are more comfortable.