LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-18-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujikuro2 View Post
In this case,very simple.Many restaurants from all over the world and Japan. These restaurants never pretend they are originally from Tokyo.
Kansai-jin never pretend too.
You said,"Kobe is a very international city with terrific restaurants with chefs from everywhere from India to Brazil."
I say,"Tokyo is a very international city with terrific restaurants with chefs from everywhere from India to Brazil."
Accessibility is the difference, in my experience. Really good international cuisine in Tokyo seems more expensive than it is in Kansai.

In Kanto people brag how expensive things cost. In Kansai they brag how cheap things cost.

Quote:
Going west for a couple days costs more eating some of Kansai style food in Tokyo.
Again, she said it is a kind of "foodie" vacation. I am just recommending where the best food is, not only in my personal opinion, but what I have heard time and time again from people from both parts of the country.

Quote:
different from "richness in diversity",soba noodles and soy souce are the icons of Kantou cuisine. No one think soba and Tenpura in Kansai is better than in Kantou.
My point is all food is not better in Kansai.not better in Kantou.
What is popular in Kansai compared to Kanto is different when it comes to soba. You can say neither is better, but try takoyaki or okonomiyaki in Kansai, then try and eat it in Tokyo. I have never wanted to return food in Japan before, but the sad excuse for okonomiyaki I got in Tokyo.

On top of that, pound for pound (and yen for yen) the Italian food (spaghetti, pizza, etc.) has been better and a better value in Kansai.

Quote:
If they want,no problem. Especially,when they live near and have chances of next visit.Actually,Tokyo Disneyland is full of repeaters.
If that is convenient for them, that is fine, but, again they said it was a foodie vacation. I wouldn't go to Tomorrowland to see the Haunted Mansion.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
10-19-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
I think Inokashira Park have flea markets every weekend, especially sunday.
and the park itself is worth a visit too.

I am not a flea market fan, but I think there is a website where u can check flea market schedule all over tokyo. maybe just google flea market tokyo.
Right, i totally forgot about the market in Inokashira Koen.
The market on Sunday is kind of an artist market where they mainly sell selfmade stuff, like photos or pictures or some other handcrafts. This is a really nice place to go as there is almost always someone playing musik and there is a lake in the park. Its especially beautifull in Autum. It can be combined with visiting the Ghibli Museum (if you are interested, book tickets ahead) and a stroll through kichijoji (in walking distance) is very nice as well, as this is a spot where many Tokyotes go to hang out or shop but its not so popular with tourists.

Have fun

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)