JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
lmp1984 (Offline)
New to JF

Coming to Tokyo in 2 weeks!! - 10-15-2010, 03:54 PM

Hey all,
My name is Lisa, and I'm a 26 year old gal' from Australia.
My family and I are heading to Tokyo for 15 days in a few weeks, and we were after some advice! What do you believe are the 'must-sees' and 'must-dos' in Tokyo?? We're after the things that you don't find in the travel guides, cool little neighbourhoods, weird things to see and eat, etc etc.
Also...
*Does anybody know any cool places to find toys ala kidrobot?
*Does anybody know of any flea markets that are worth a visit?
Thank you all for your time!!
Lmp1984
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Just curious, how did you come to choose Tokyo as a vacation spot?

I believe it is under the rails at JR Ueno station there are many stalls/shops set up like a flea market. (It has been a few years since I have been there.)

You can find toys at the MANDARAKE shops. I believe the biggest one is in Akihabara.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
lmp1984 (Offline)
New to JF

10-16-2010, 01:28 AM

I studied Japanese as a kid, and have always been fascinated with the culture, especially all the kooky things you hear! My folks went to Tokyo last year and just raved on about it, so this year the husband and I are going. He is also extremly interested in Japanese culture - plus - we hear it's a real foodie city and we are both extreme foodies! - Extremly exciteda about our trip to say the least!!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-16-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp1984 View Post
I studied Japanese as a kid, and have always been fascinated with the culture, especially all the kooky things you hear! My folks went to Tokyo last year and just raved on about it, so this year the husband and I are going. He is also extremly interested in Japanese culture - plus - we hear it's a real foodie city and we are both extreme foodies! - Extremly exciteda about our trip to say the least!!
Within Japan Tokyo is probably the least "food conscious" city by reputation. If you want to go to a real foodie area, split your trip in two and go to Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe (all very close to each other). Tokyo has good food if you want to pay an arm and a leg. In Osaka you can get a fantastic meal at a fantastic price, and Kobe is a very international city with terrific restaurants with chefs from everywhere from India to Brazil.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
lmp1984 (Offline)
New to JF

10-16-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Within Japan Tokyo is probably the least "food conscious" city by reputation. If you want to go to a real foodie area, split your trip in two and go to Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe (all very close to each other). Tokyo has good food if you want to pay an arm and a leg. In Osaka you can get a fantastic meal at a fantastic price, and Kobe is a very international city with terrific restaurants with chefs from everywhere from India to Brazil.
Think right now we are just sticking with Tokyo, but will be going back to Japan to spend some more time in other cities/parts in a few years time. Didn't want to rush through the whole of Japan in a few weeks - I like spending a few weeks in one places, enjoying it, and then moving on to another city if I have time.
Thank you for your comments.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
10-16-2010, 07:33 AM

MMM i think you´re talking about Ameyoko-cho wich is just across the street as you exit Ueno Station. It looks kinda like a flea market but they are mainly selling food items. Its a nice walk anyway because its so different from the rest of Tokyo, so i´d recommend to go there! There is a nice Shop somewhere on the other end of Ameyoko-cho wich sells rice with raw fish for a good price.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-16-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp1984 View Post
Think right now we are just sticking with Tokyo, but will be going back to Japan to spend some more time in other cities/parts in a few years time. Didn't want to rush through the whole of Japan in a few weeks - I like spending a few weeks in one places, enjoying it, and then moving on to another city if I have time.
Thank you for your comments.
To be perfectly honest, I think five days in Tokyo is more than enough to see what is really interesting. Two hours away is Kansai, with the real "foodie" culture. Kansai includes Osaka, Wakayama, Kobe, kyoto and Nara (on the far edge depending who you talk to).

Tokyo isn't nearly as big as people think it is, so to limit yourself when visiting an isolated island county seems, to me, to be a little of a waste.

I can't tell you what to do, but if you are going to Tokyo for the food, you are making a little bit of a mistake. If someone wants to tell me I am wrong, I am open to arguments.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
fujikuro2 (Offline)
New to JF

10-16-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, I think five days in Tokyo is more than enough to see what is really interesting.
Tokyo isn't nearly as big as people think it is, so to limit yourself when visiting an isolated island county seems, to me, to be a little of a waste.
OP might refer to Greater Tokyo Area.If so,I think two weeks is not so long.
I might be wrong,but people from Australia come to Japan more lightly than people from the US and EU.So,this time Tokyo,next time Kansai is not so strange plan for OP.
Quote:
I can't tell you what to do, but if you are going to Tokyo for the food, you are making a little bit of a mistake. If someone wants to tell me I am wrong, I am open to arguments.
I don't think you are wrong.And going to Tokyo for the food is not a mistake too.Tokyo is richer than Kansai in diversity(rest of the world and Japan,from Hokkaido to Okinawa).Even Kansai style food is available in Tokyo,though they might be mediocre.If OP is in love with Kansai style,she should go Kansai.If she is in love with Soba noodle and soy source taste,going to Kansai is a waste.

@OP
I personally like Kagurazaka.Kagurazaka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But it is my taste.
You have enough time in Tokyo.Walk around the streets and find something wired for you!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-16-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, I think five days in Tokyo is more than enough to see what is really interesting. Two hours away is Kansai, with the real "foodie" culture. Kansai includes Osaka, Wakayama, Kobe, kyoto and Nara (on the far edge depending who you talk to).

I've been in Japan for three years now, spending most of my time in Tokyo. I know the city better than many Japanese, but in all that time I have not come close to seeing it all.

Visit Tsukiji and Hamarikyu, Odaiba, Tsukishima, Nihonbashi, Kanda, Ameyoko, Ueno, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Omotesando, Daikanyama, Meguro, Yurakucho, Ginza, Yokohama, and the Tokyo Disney Resorts. These are just the larger destinations, I couldn't begin to list the smaller districts and neighborhoods worth seeing. Tokyo is one of the great cities of the world, even if you spent the summer here you could find something different to see and do every single day.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-16-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujikuro2 View Post
I don't think you are wrong.And going to Tokyo for the food is not a mistake too.Tokyo is richer than Kansai in diversity(rest of the world and Japan,from Hokkaido to Okinawa).Even Kansai style food is available in Tokyo,though they might be mediocre.If OP is in love with Kansai style,she should go Kansai.If she is in love with Soba noodle and soy source taste,going to Kansai is a waste.
I don't know what that means "richer in diversity". That's a little like saying Los Angeles is richer in diversity, in the fact that the city is made up of people who aren't from Los Angeles, but the problem is everyone pretends they ARE from Los Angeles, so sayonara to diversity.

Yes there is Kansai food available in Tokyo, and in my experience, unless you are willing to pay outrageous prices, it is mediocre. That is my point. I doubt the OP is in love with Kansai food, soba noodles or soy sauce, my point is food is better in Kansai, so if this is a foodie trip, jump on a shink and head west for a couple days, at least. It's like going to Disneyland but only going to Tomorrowland, saying we will visit the other sections in future visits as the People Mover rolls by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I've been in Japan for three years now, spending most of my time in Tokyo. I know the city better than many Japanese, but in all that time I have not come close to seeing it all.

Visit Tsukiji and Hamarikyu, Odaiba, Tsukishima, Nihonbashi, Kanda, Ameyoko, Ueno, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Omotesando, Daikanyama, Meguro, Yurakucho, Ginza, Yokohama, and the Tokyo Disney Resorts. These are just the larger destinations, I couldn't begin to list the smaller districts and neighborhoods worth seeing. Tokyo is one of the great cities of the world, even if you spent the summer here you could find something different to see and do every single day.
I would agree in the "greater area" there is more to do. Yokohama is the second largest city in Japan, and has a great Chinatown. Of course "Tokyo Disneyland" would more accurately be called "Chiba Disneyland" but then it loses that special appeal people seem to have for the word "Tokyo".