JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ugeda (Offline)
New to JF

February/march: Things to do in Kansai (?) - 10-26-2010, 04:09 PM

Hello there JF'ers,

I'm planning a trip to Japan in the end of feb/beginning of march 2011, and I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions on things to do when staying for 10 days in the Kansai area. Accommodation is already booked and I'll have my base in the Umeda-area of Osaka. (Very close to Osaka station @ JR Loop line & Umeda station @ subways.)

I'm 20 years old, love temples, gardens, traditions and tea. My japanese is passable since I've lived in Osaka before. At that time however, I was very focused on studying, and didn't see too many touristy-things.

I've seen some of the must-see things though, so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions to things worth checking out, that I might not already know about/have seen. I've never been to Kobe, so I'll be spending one day there. I'll also be spending a day in Kyoto and one in Wakayama...

Also, if anyone has suggestions on places to eat. Or else I'll just end up going back to the places I ate when I was studying, and where's the fun in that?

Nothing too expensive though, since I'll be on a food budget at around ¥2000/day.

Thank you!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-26-2010, 04:46 PM

I spent a day in Kyoto and it wasn't enough. I went to Ryoan-ji, Kinkaku-ji, and the whole Philosopher's walk and felt I didn't see enough. I was based out of Tokyo, which is 2:45 away, while you're only :30 from there. I also made the mistake of getting a bus pass instead of riding the rails there. If I were you, I'd allocate 2 days at least for Kyoto.

As far as anything else in the area, I didn't travel much in that direction...Kansai....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
10-26-2010, 06:04 PM

This is my 3rd year in Kansai region but I still think that there are many places I need to visit before going back to my own country.. For places to eat, I recommend you to try a buffet seafood in Kobe which I think is quite famous for foreigners as well.. Hope you enjoy your trip in Kansai and looking forward reading your comments about it..

cheers..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-26-2010, 06:16 PM

I would allocate at least a couple days for Kyoto, and one day for Nara, to visit the Great Buddha and see Nara Park.

If you only have 2000 yen a day for food, I hope you have more to visit the attractions. The most interesting temples and shrines have entrance fees.

In South Osaka there is a nice temple called, I believe Shitennoji.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Ugeda (Offline)
New to JF

10-26-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I would allocate at least a couple days for Kyoto, and one day for Nara, to visit the Great Buddha and see Nara Park.

If you only have 2000 yen a day for food, I hope you have more to visit the attractions. The most interesting temples and shrines have entrance fees.

In South Osaka there is a nice temple called, I believe Shitennoji.
Exactly! Well, I don't really eat much, even back home... I mean, I can eat a かつカレー plate for lunch and a plain onigiri and I'll be good for the whole day if I have a bottle of tea.

Anyway, I have lot's of money saved up, so it's not like I don't -have- more money to spend, it's just that I want to spend more on other things*. That's why I've chosen cheap accommodation and put a pretty strict budget for myself. Of course if there's something especially good-but-expensive food you think I should try, I'll keep it in mind!

*Souvenirs, attractions, transport.

Thanks for the tip about Shitennouji! Actually, I've already been there. It's just down the street from my old school! On one of my first days in Japan, knowing no japanese at all, I stumbled across Shitennouji temple on a festival day, when admission was completely free. We even got to go to the top of the towers. Beautiful indeed!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

10-28-2010, 12:13 AM

Koyasan in Wakayama is beautiful. maybe a side trip to Shirahama too if you still have the time and try the Sand Onsen there and wakayama ramen is good too.

Inari Taisha in Kyoto is also a another place to visit and try to get a glimpse of the maiko's walking along the street in gion

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------