JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
drudown99 (Offline)
New to JF

interested in moving to japan need feedback!! - 01-17-2011, 11:45 PM

I live in the U.S. but just dont feel right here. Everything is centered around how much money u have and how can u show it off. I practice daoism and am happy with the small things in life, martal arts, meditation, just being one with yourself and enjoying life. I know everyone needs money to survive and i will work hard for what i need but i dont need all the excess that americans love.

I beleive that the chinese and japanese cultures are more intuned to a life i would like to live.

I need help deciding if i should move to china or japan. Which is more tranquil and layed back. and once i decied where i will start to study the language and culture but first i need to decide where to go? any suggestions?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-18-2011, 02:40 AM

If you are really studying "Daoism", then you probably know that the things which go on in the world around should have know affect on the things going on inside you. You would learn more by staying where you are, happiness is not a place which exists outside yourself.

Japan is a more materialistic place than America, where even poor housewives and struggling university students go without food so they can afford a Louis Vuitton bag, or a new iPhone.

China is such a dirty place that I cough for several days after leaving, and the Chinese are no less materialistic, they just have less money to buy things with.

Between the two, I would much prefer Japan, where manners are important and are followed, rather than China where people will cut in front of you or even push you out of line at the train or bus station.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-18-2011, 02:42 AM

Have you been to either place? You sound like Asia is full of Buddhist Monks who do Karate and Kung Fu. This might have been true in the 1600's, but there are now Louis Vittons and Mercedes in both places. People are the same everywhere, they like nice things and like to show it off.
I recommend you visit first, because you can't just move there even if you learn the language and culture.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sakusakusakura (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Sakusakusakura
01-18-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drudown99 View Post
I live in the U.S. but just dont feel right here. Everything is centered around how much money u have and how can u show it off. I practice daoism and am happy with the small things in life, martal arts, meditation, just being one with yourself and enjoying life. I know everyone needs money to survive and i will work hard for what i need but i dont need all the excess that americans love.

I beleive that the chinese and japanese cultures are more intuned to a life i would like to live.

I need help deciding if i should move to china or japan. Which is more tranquil and layed back. and once i decied where i will start to study the language and culture but first i need to decide where to go? any suggestions?
It's hard to say, because I think it's not important of a place but way of thinking.
If you know what you should do you can do anywhere you live.
Of course if you really think you should move to act like yourself I support you.
I think Japan is not a contry like you think. Everything is centered around how much money u have and how can u show it off. Same with America.

I understand your feeling though, I've been to Australia.
And I got it. The problem is not place, the problem is me.

I know you are not me and I think you are much more adult than me.

Anyway I agree with bELyVIS, you should visit first and then decied by yourself.
If you need any help to find Japanese school or some support feel free to contact with me.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tazzy (Offline)
JF Regular

01-18-2011, 07:19 PM

China is super materialist.

Try Scandinavia or the Netherlands, the pace of life is more laid back there than in the anglo countries.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-19-2011, 12:19 AM

I'd like to point out the fact that not everyone in an apparently materialistic country is materialistic. I'm sure you could find a lot of people in any of the countries listed who couldn't give a damn about expensive handbags and luxury cars.

If you're looking to work hard AND have a laid back existance in Japan, I think you'd be dissapointed. If you do intend to move to another country, I think you should definitely learn basic communication skills before you go. That can take years to accomplish though.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Gahzirra (Offline)
JF Regular

01-19-2011, 12:44 AM

I would spend some time there first before making such a huge commitment. Materialistically Japan or China are even more so when it comes to the big cities. That's not to say all of Japan is like this. I found Yufuin to be beautiful and would probably be to your liking. It was a small country area and many of the people I had met there were from the bigger cities who had wanted a more quiet and peaceful existence so they had settled there. The lake in town is geothermal so the valley is blanketed in a mist in the morning.

As others have said Japan is more respectful and well mannered than China in general, but best would be to visit them first.

WWOOF - World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms <---is a good way to experience Japan or China for an extended period.