JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
stewartcraigie (Offline)
New to JF

Culinary Trip to Japan - 12-21-2010, 12:29 AM

Hello

I am a 21 year old culinary student with a huge passion for food, and I have recently won an Award called Toyo-Orc, which means I will be moving to Tokyo in April 2011 for 2 months to experience the best food, drink and markets the country has to offer! I have already researched yakatori stalls, sushi restaurants, fish markets and other foodie places I want to visit.

But I would LOVE to meet an indigenous Japanese person, or some one who has lived there for a long time to show me all those little places tourists never see! I would be truly grateful if you can help. Please get in touch if you can be of any use what so ever

Stewart Craigie
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-21-2010, 09:07 PM

Sounds like fun! I loved trying a lot of different foods in Japan! Here's 1 bit of advice... DON'T just stay in Tokyo. Japan has a lot of regional foods and local ways of preparing common dishes, and the best way to experience that is to travel to different places. Try Hakata ramen in a street stand in Fukuoka, not some place in Tokyo. Try the different styles of okonomiyaki in their native regions, and experience shojin ryori at a temple on Koya-san.

Not only will the food be more authentic, you'll get to see a lot of Japan! Oh, and be sure to try lots of little mom-'n-pop restaurants, not just fancy places. A lot of the best food I ate there came from simple little family-run places. Ask the locals where to eat, they can usually tell you, and stress you want really good, flavorful food, not necessarily someplace fancy or expensive.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-22-2010, 10:56 PM

Tokyo is not known for it's Japanese food. I would go to Kyoto/Osaka area for a spell.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
stewartcraigie (Offline)
New to JF

12-27-2010, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I have a train pass and do intend to travel around, especially to Osaka area as I hear great things about there food!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
konbini (Offline)
JF Regular

12-27-2010, 09:27 PM

Go to Nagano and try oyaki. おいしいでした