JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Igawa29 (Offline)
KQUEST

Traveling to Japan Question - 12-30-2010, 01:49 PM

Hey guys I have a question regaurding the best and less hassel way to get to Kyoto.

I am flying in from the USA.. but I am not sure once I land in Tokyo if I should take the bullet train or get on an airplane and travel to Osaka, then take a shuttle bus to Kyoto.

My wife and I are going to have two large suitcases so we are unsure the best route to take. There does not seem to be any direct flights from the USA to Osaka.. everything looks to go through Tokyo first.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-30-2010, 02:16 PM

There are no direct flights to either Kansai (Osaka) or Chubu Centrair (Nagoya) from the States; you have to land at Narita or Haneda.

I don't know if you are going to travel any further by train or is Kyoto a final destination with no prospects of further travel in the country.

If you do travel further, the JAPAN RAIL PASS / ジャパンレールパス can be of value, since a round trip to Osaka from Tokyo on the Shinkansen is about the price of the pass for 7 days. You'll have to travel back to Tokyo to leave, so that's why I'm using that example.

The pass allows you to use any JR trains, with reserved or non-reserved seating, for the exception of the Nozomi service on the Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen. That means that any JR trains in Tokyo proper, Osaka and Kyoto will be free: just show the pass and you're in.

You can use Hyperdia | 乗換案内 路線検索 時刻表 ゴルフ場 旅費精算 通勤費なら to find out exactly how to get there and how much it'll cost if you are not using the JR Pass.... For example, if you wish to depart Narita Terminal 2 at 2pm, you can take the Limited Narita Express #28 to Tokyo Station at 14:18 and arrive at 15:14, then taking the Nozomi 47 at 15:30 and arriving at Kyoto at 17:51.... The grand total would be 16,630 yen (about $204)....each way (per person)

As far as luggage is concerned, there seem to be places on the train cars that can accomodate them, but I'm not totally sure.

As to which is more viable, flying to Kansai or using the train, it all depends on the price of the flight package. The train pass is 28,300 yen (the exchange rate varies-$347 as of today)....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 12-30-2010 at 05:53 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

12-30-2010, 03:07 PM

Hi.
If you plan to fly to Narita airport, you should know this;
Narita is not in Tokyo even if it is called Tokyo.
Narita is really far from Tokyo.
After you land Narita, you need to go to Tokyo railway station by train or bus.
It would take long time.

If you plan to land Haneda, the airport is near Tokyo railway station.
But few international planes goes to Haneda.

If you plan to go to Kyoto by Shinkansen(bullet train), you should know this;
You need to have a seat reservation!
American people seem to think you can wait the next train if the train is full,
But most Japanese trains are full!! It’s more terrible than you can imagine.
I recommend you to make a reservation.
Good luck! (Sorry, my English is poor!)

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

12-30-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Yuri, yoroshiku onegaishimasu!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
12-31-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
There are no direct flights to either Kansai (Osaka) or Chubu Centrair (Nagoya) from the States; you have to land at Narita or Haneda.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there is a direct flight form Detroit to Nagoya.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-31-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igawa29 View Post
Hey guys I have a question regaurding the best and less hassel way to get to Kyoto.

I am flying in from the USA.. but I am not sure once I land in Tokyo if I should take the bullet train or get on an airplane and travel to Osaka, then take a shuttle bus to Kyoto.

My wife and I are going to have two large suitcases so we are unsure the best route to take. There does not seem to be any direct flights from the USA to Osaka.. everything looks to go through Tokyo first.
Kansai International is the closest airport to Kyoto. It is in South Osaka, and is probably only an hour away from Kyoto by train.

There certainly are direct flights from the USA to Osaka... just the name of the airport is Kansai (KIX). You can go from Seattle, LA or San Fran, at least.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

12-31-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Kansai International is the closest airport to Kyoto. It is in South Osaka, and is probably only an hour away from Kyoto by train.

There certainly are direct flights from the USA to Osaka... just the name of the airport is Kansai (KIX). You can go from Seattle, LA or San Fran, at least.
I apologize. I was incorrect and arrogant in assuming that since there are no direct flights from Chicago, there are no flights period. My bad!

Last edited by JohnBraden : 01-02-2011 at 07:11 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Igawa29 (Offline)
KQUEST

12-31-2010, 03:49 PM

Thank you so much, I have got my research to do now. My flight leaves the US on Oct 31.. and I believe my hotel in Kyoto is for Nov 1.. so I am trying to find the best options.. I appreciate the insight.. this forum seems really helpful, so I know if I have more questions I can post here. Thanks!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-31-2010, 07:56 PM

Bus will take roughly 90 mins from Narita to downtown Tokyo, it's about $35 one way.

I'm sure the train is cheaper but ask yourself if after a 15 hour flight, you want carry luggage and navigate a subway at the same time

Heck, I could take public transit to our airport in toronto and I still spring for the bus, less headache and hassle
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-31-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igawa29 View Post
Thank you so much, I have got my research to do now. My flight leaves the US on Oct 31.. and I believe my hotel in Kyoto is for Nov 1.. so I am trying to find the best options.. I appreciate the insight.. this forum seems really helpful, so I know if I have more questions I can post here. Thanks!
It is worth finding a connecting flight to KIX if your hotel is in Kyoto.

And keep in mind you leave Oct 31, but will likely be landing on Nov 1.