JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   January trip (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/35489-january-trip.html)

Clayton 01-04-2011 12:04 AM

January trip

Hello folks, I joined here some time ago but haven't got around to posting until now. On January 17 my wife, son & I will be travelling from Australia with another couple & child to Japan for a 10 day whirlwind tour.
We arrive in Osaka at 19:10 on the 17th. Then take a Limousine bus to the New Miyako Hotel in Kyoto. (Q1. It seems we will arrive at the hotel at 22:00. Is this too late to find somewhere to eat?)
The next day we do a morning tour of Kyoto. 2 more nights there (Q2. Any recommendations of other things to see and do in this time? We were going to see Himeji Castle but it's being renovated and is under scaffolding.) then off to Hiroshima on the Shinkansen for 1 night staying at Benten-no-Yado Itsukushima Japanese Rooms. A visit to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial is on the cards.
Next day back on the Shinkansen to Tokyo staying at the Grand Prince Takanawa Hotel for 3 nights. We do a morning tour of Tokyo on the 22nd and then off to the Sumo Tournament that evening. At some stage we hope to visit the Tsukiji fish markets. (Q3. More recommendations for activities is appreciated here)
Next we take the Shinkansen, then a local train, then a bus to Nozawa Onsen for 3 nights and 2 and a bit days skiing before heading back to Tokyo for a 20:25 flight home on the 27th.
I know it's all rushed but it's better than not going. Anyone see any major flaws in our plans? Your input is appreciated.
Regards.

MMM 01-04-2011 02:03 AM

How young are the children? I haven't been to Hiroshima, but I have hear the Peace Memorial Museum can be a quite moving and disturbing experience, so it might be worth checking out.

You should be able to find a bite at that hour, though it may be convenience store food (which isn't as bad as it sounds). Izakaya places are often open late.

I am not sure where your tour will take you in Kyoto... do you know?

Clayton 01-04-2011 03:33 AM

Hello MMM and thanks for the reply. The boys are 15 and I'm know the experience will be sobering but a valuable one none the less.
I'm not sure where the Kyoto tour will be going, only that it starts at 8:45am and goes till 12:20pm.
It seems our airport bus leaves us at the JR station which is 2 minutes walk to our hotel. Hopefully we will see somewhere to eat on the way.

MMM 01-04-2011 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton (Post 844895)
Hello MMM and thanks for the reply. The boys are 15 and I'm know the experience will be sobering but a valuable one none the less.
I'm not sure where the Kyoto tour will be going, only that it starts at 8:45am and goes till 12:20pm.
It seems our airport bus leaves us at the JR station which is 2 minutes walk to our hotel. Hopefully we will see somewhere to eat on the way.

OK... I just wanted to make sure they weren't elementary school age.

Here are a couple places I like, and are very much on the beaten path:

Kiyomizu-dera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kinkaku-ji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also like Iwatayama Monkey Park, but I do not know if it is open in January.

A visit to Iwatayama Monkey Park in Kyoto Japan - Boing Boing

siokan 01-04-2011 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton (Post 844870)
(Q1. It seems we will arrive at the hotel at 22:00. Is this too late to find somewhere to eat?)

It is easy and is a certainty.

Convenience store 24h
Yoshinoya(Beef bowl) 24h
CoCo Ichibanya(Japanese Curry) 11:00~01:00
Creepy pierrot;) (hamburger) 06:00~23:00

Is a high restaurant better?

Clayton 01-04-2011 11:02 AM

Thanks guys, I will put the attractions & eateries to my fellow travelers as potential targets.

oumishounin 01-04-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton (Post 844895)

It depends on where your bus leaves you.Kyoto station is not so small.
Kyoto Station, Japan to Shin Miyako Hotel - Google Maps

EDIT
It seems your busstop is here.
Google Maps
Gusto is on the first floor of "EL INN KYOTO".

I don't recommend dinner at Izakaya,especially after your long flight. Not only there are drunken people,but also they don't always have English menus or picture menus.
I think family restaurants are easiest and safest for Japan-beginner foreigners at 22:00.
Nearest from your hotel
"Gusto"
新・都ホテル to ガスト 京都駅南店 - Google Maps
ガスト|株式会社すかいらーく|すかいらーくグループ
business hours 07:00~02:00

Clayton 01-04-2011 01:41 PM

Thanks Oumishounin, will definitely check it out. Also thank you for the map references, they're a great help.