JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miciah (Offline)
New to JF

Graduated senior needs advice about college in japan - 01-07-2011, 09:35 AM

As the title of my thread said I am a graduated senior thinking about going to Japan to college. For my major I'm at a loss between being a normal veterinarian and a marine mammal veterinarian, but I know for certain that I want to work and live in Japan once I'm done with college it's been a dream of mine ever since I was little and visited Japan when I was a kid. I currently live in the U.S.A in a very very small town and have no knowledge of the Japanese language.

I'm at a loss at which path to take though- as to go to Japan right away and learn the language of the country I'll be living in soon or if I should go to college in America take a Japanese course here and study abroad as well then eventually go to vet school there. Personally I want to go to Japan though and I have browsed through the forums but I didn't quite get everything I red though. Like to get a student visa do I apply to a language college finish it THEN go to a real college..? Or do I apply at the real college and they refer me to the language college I didn't quite get it. Also if anyone could give me any advice on the steps I need to take or anything I'll gladly take it.

Thank you all for your time in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

01-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Even if you were to come to Japan straight away for college, I'm probably sure any of the universities you would be able to get into (non-Japanese) wouldn't even have your degree major. Most people (like myself) who come to Japan to study are here to do something affiliated with actually being in Japan, such as international relations/business, asian studies, Japanese, etc. Even if you could find a school with your major, you'd then also need to ensure some kind of fluency in the language over the course of your stay due to the fact that you're getting into a fairly complex subject.

You don't even need to go to a language school unless you'd plan on becoming fluent enough first to join a Japanese university. There are several universities in Japan that accept non Japanese students (with no Japanese language ability). These schools should issue you a visa, and all that is is a piece of paper in your passport saying that you're allowed to be in the country as a student. If the school you apply to sponsors visas, they will have the according paperwork for you to fill out as you're applying to the school.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Miciah (Offline)
New to JF

01-07-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
Even if you were to come to Japan straight away for college, I'm probably sure any of the universities you would be able to get into (non-Japanese) wouldn't even have your degree major.
Your right Zoology and Marine Biology are really hard to find as bachelor degrees..most schools only offer them as associates degrees so I wouldn't expect it to be any different in Japan but it shouldn't be non existent either. But thanks for being truthful...By the way is our degree system the same as theirs? 4 years for a bachelors and stuff or is it different?

Quote:
You don't even need to go to a language school unless you'd plan on becoming fluent enough first to join a Japanese university. There are several universities in Japan that accept non Japanese students (with no Japanese language ability). These schools should issue you a visa, and all that is is a piece of paper in your passport saying that you're allowed to be in the country as a student. If the school you apply to sponsors visas, they will have the according paperwork for you to fill out as you're applying to the school.
Ah I see thank you for the information. So basically the schools the accept non Japanese students issue you the visas. Alright I get it now thanks.

Um if anyone else can offer advice about me becoming a vet or a marine mammal vet in Japan, I'm all ears >< or any advice in particular! Thanks in advance.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Miciah (Offline)
New to JF

Thanks for the reply! - 01-07-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Even if you were to come to Japan straight away for college, I'm probably sure any of the universities you would be able to get into (non-Japanese) wouldn't even have your degree major.
Your right Zoology and Marine Biology are really hard to find as bachelor degrees..most schools only offer them as associates degrees so I wouldn't expect it to be any different in Japan but it shouldn't be non existent either. But thanks for being truthful...By the way is our degree system the same as theirs? 4 years for a bachelors and stuff or is it different?

Quote:
Ah I see thank you for the information. So basically the schools the accept non Japanese students issue you the visas. Alright I get it now thanks.

Um if anyone else can offer advice about me becoming a vet or a marine mammal vet in Japan, I'm all ears >< or any advice in particular! Thanks in advance.