JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Silchuki14 (Offline)
New to JF

14 days trips in May 2011, need advices! - 12-16-2010, 09:11 PM

Hello Japanforum! (Sorry in advance for the long post!)

Like I said in my title, I'm going to Japan for the first time in May 2011, alone.

I'm trying to make my itinerary now and I fin dit hard since I don't know how much time I should predict (anticipate) for each attractions I want to do.

I'll be landing in Haneda on 14th of May at 22h45 so I'll sleep in Toyoko Inn for one night. So the first day is Sunday, May 15th and I need to be at Narita Airport on Sunday 29th at 19h to fly back to Quebec.

Before putting the long list of things I want to visit/do. Here's some things to not forget...

- When I'll be in Tokyo, I'm sleeping at a friend's house in Fuchu, so I'll take the train from Bubaigawara station. When I'll be in Kansai area, I'm sleeping in a rent in Osaka.

- Not sure yet, but I'll probaly need a JR 14 days pass. I'll need your advice about this ^.^

- I would like to see the Sanja Matsuri on May 20,21 or 22 (Not all days) in Asakusa

- I would like to be in Tokyo for the first week, since my friend live there and I'm not used to Japan.

Now...here's the long lists, if you know an average of the time I should predict for each place (Or the complete district). I would really appreciate! Also, this is not the final lists, if you think there's place worth of going that aren't in the list, please suggest it! And if there's place you think I should not waste my time that are on the list, feel free to tell me please!

You'll see that I want to visit both Kanto and Kansai region.

*Tokyo*

-Asakusa-
Kaminarimon
Nakamise Dori
Sensoji Temple
Shin-Nakamise Dori

-Ueno-
Ueno Park
Ueno Zoo
Shitamashi Museum
Ameyoko

-Akihabara-
Visit the District, suggestions?

-Tsukiji & Tsukishima- (Okonomiyaki)
Hamarikyu Garden
Just go visit and eat sushis for breakfast or dinner(possible?)

-Tokyo-
Imperial Garden

-Korakuen-
Koishikawa Korakuen

-Shinjuku-
Metropolitan Government Office Building
Shinjuku Gyoen
Shinjuku Station Mail
Visit the district

-Shibuya,Harajuku- (Harajuku on sunday)
Koen Dori
Yoyogi Park
Meji Shrine
Daiso Harajuku (100yen shop)
Oriental Bazaaz
Takeshita Dori

*Side Trips close to Tokyo*
-Motegi Twin Ring (Honda Museum), Motegi (Utsunomiya St. 90min N)
-Jiyugaoka & Shimokitazawa (Visit)

-Yokohama-
Minato Mirai
Sankein Garden
Chinatown

*Between Tokyo & Kyoto*

-Fuji Five Lakes- (Pictures & Onsen)
Kawaguchiko Lake
Chureito Pagoda
Oshino Hakkai

*Kansai*

-Nara Perfecture-
Todaji Temple
Isuen Garden
Yoshikien Garden
Horyuji Temple

-Osaka Perfecture-
Osaka Castle
Kaiyukan
Minami (Den Den Town)
Umeda Sky Building

-Kyoto Perfecture-
Kiyomizudera Temple
Ginkakuji
Kinkakuji
Kyoto Station
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Daigoji Temple
Toji Temples
Tetsugaku no Michi
Imperial Palace/Sento Gosho
Nishikikoji Dori

-Side trips outside of Kansai-
Miyajima: Itsukushima Shrine
Okayama: Korakuen Garden & Okayama Castle

(I think people will be scared to read all this post....)

By the way, I'm aware that I may have too much place to visit for two week. That's why I would like to know the time needed for each place.

I will wait for other questions (I think this post is enough for now).

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Guillaume

Last edited by Silchuki14 : 12-23-2010 at 11:35 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-16-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silchuki14 View Post
Tsukiji & Tsukishima- (Okonomiyaki)
There is not the okonomiyaki.
Monjyayaki is famous.

Quote:
Shibuya,Harajuku- (Harajuku on sunday)

Cult

Quote:
-Rippongi-
Rippongi Hills (Night)
Roppongi
Foolishness all over the world and criminal area

Quote:
There is no race during your length-of-stay.

Quote:
-Hyogo Perfecture-
Himeji Castle
It is repairing. (2010-2014)

Quote:
-Osaka Perfecture-
Osaka Castle
Imitation

Quote:
Okayama Castle
Imitation

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-17-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
If you're still going to go to Utsunomiya Station using the Yamabiko or Tsubasa Shinkansen from Tokyo or Ueno, instead of going to Twin Ring Motegi, go to Nikko instead! Nikko is loaded with shrines and temples and has World Heritage sites....

Nikko travel guide - Wikitravel

Last edited by JohnBraden : 12-17-2010 at 11:17 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Silchuki14 (Offline)
New to JF

12-17-2010, 12:40 AM

Siokan

Thanks for the answer! Thanks for the head up on Monjyayaki! I may have mistaken when I was taking notes.

Why do you say "cult" about Harajuku and 100yen shop?

Rippongi Hills will be deleted, thanks!

About Motegi Twin Ring, I want to go there for the Honda Museum only since I'm a dead fan of the company

It's sad for Himeji....but Osaka Castle and Okayama Castle will be visited for 3 reason:

-I'll stay in Osaka when I'll be in Kansai
-Oakayama one is close to Korakuen Garden which is my main purpose of the visit
-I don't mind them being imitation.

JohnBraden

Thanks for the head up on Nikko! I thought about visiting the Toshogu Shrine while I'll be in the area. Like I said above, I'm not going to Motegi for the race but for the Honda Museum so I don't think I'll need the complete day.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-17-2010, 02:19 AM

Roppongi Hills is fine for high end shopping and eats.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Silchuki14 (Offline)
New to JF

12-20-2010, 12:29 AM

Thanks MMM.

If got answers from two of my friends in Japan (One in Tokyo, one in Osaka) regarding the time needed for each places. I've putted comment about each places in the list. I would love to know your opinions as well about them.

*Tokyo*

She told me that the best thing to do would be to spend one day in each district to visit everything. Sadly, I don't have that time...

-Asakusa-
Kaminarimon
Nakamise Dori
Sensoji Temple
Shin-Nakamise Dori

She told me it was a must see, she didn't tell me how long to take though. Do you think I can visit both Asakusa and Ueno in the same day??? (Morning,Afternoon and Evening)

-Ueno-
Ueno Park
Ueno Zoo
Shitamashi Museum
Ameyoko

See above

-Akihabara-
Visit the District, suggestions?

Can take only an afternoon or a complete day depending on me.

-Tsukiji & Tsukishima- (Morning, 0.5 day)
Hamarikyu Garden
Just go visit and eat sushis for breakfast or dinner(possible?)

I think I sould be okay with the first half of the day.

-Tokyo-
Imperial Garden

Still don't have any info yet...

-Korakuen-
Koishikawa Korakuen

Still don't have any info yet...

-Shinjuku-
Metropolitan Government Office Building
Shinjuku Gyoen
Shinjuku Station Mail
Visit the district

See below

-Shibuya,Harajuku- (Harajuku on sunday)
Koen Dori
Yoyogi Park
Meji Shrine
Oriental Bazaaz
Takeshita Dori

She told me that Shinjuku, Shibuya and Harajuku, since there so close to each other, I should be able to make it in a day.(1 Day)

-Roppongi-
Tokyo Mori Midtown Tower

I'm thinking of deleting this one from the list, is there really a must see thing in Roppongi?

-Motegi Twin Ring (Honda Museum), Motegi (Utsunomiya St. 90min N) (1 Day)
-Jiyugaoka & Shimokitazawa (Visit) (1 day)

-Yokohama- (1 day)
Minato Mirai
Sankein Garden
Chinatown

*Between Tokyo & Kyoto*

I want to take the day to visit Fuji Five Lakes but I'm including the time I'll be in the train

-Fuji Five Lakes- (Pictures & Onsen) (1 day)
Kawaguchiko Lake
Chureito Pagoda
Oshino Hakkai

*Kansai*

-Wakayama Perfecture-
Nachi Tashi
Garan
Kangobuji Temple

I'm thinking to delete the visit to this perfecture since it's far, what do you think? Is it worth to take the day to go or not?

-Hyogo Perfecture-
Himeji Castle
Kokoen Garden

Thinking to delete the visit since Himeji Castle will be in reparation

-Nara Perfecture- (1.5 day)
Todaji Temple
Isuen Garden
Yoshikien Garden
Horyuji Temple

Do you think I could visit Nara's attraction in one day?

-Osaka Perfecture-
Osaka Castle
Kaiyukan
Minami (Den Den Town)
Umeda Sky Building

Didn't have the information...

-Kyoto Perfecture- (3days)
Kiyomizudera Temple
Ginkakuji
Kinkakuji
Kyoto Station
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Daigoji Temple
Toji Temples
Tetsugaku no Michi
Nishikikoji Dori

I'm a bit suprised here since my friend told me I'll need 3 days to visit every sight in Kyoto, is he right or I can do everything faster?

Miyajima: Itsukushima Shrine (1day)
Okayama: Korakuen Garden & Okayama Castle (1 day)

Since I have only 14 days avalaible to visit Japan, I'm a worried I will not be able to visit everything.

Thanks again!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

12-20-2010, 01:36 AM

When you're planning trips such as these down to the minute, one feels like you're on a timetable and you end up rushing things. Sometimes it's best to have a general idea and plan accordingly. Not that you are doing so, but plan on breaking from your itinerary some....

Asakusa and Ueno can be done in one day if you centralize your "targets". The area around Senso-Ji in Asakusa and the museum campus in Ueno. If you like going to museums, that'll add time to your stay there....

Akihabara can be done in half a day but it depends on how much you want to do there. If you're an anime fan you may want to go in and out of every store there, so plan accordingly. Sunday would be the best day to go there, preferably afternoon to evening so you see it in its full splendor of activity and lights.

As far as Shinjuku, Harajuku and Shibuya... it's best to start in Shinjuku and visit the TMG towers for the view.... then proceed east back to the station and the eastern part of the station, stopping by the discount camera and electronic places that rival Akiba in deals. Once you're done there in Shinjuku, take the Yamanote to Harajuku, get off , go to the right to cross the tracks to get to Yoyogi Park and the Meiji Shrine. Once you see that head back the way you came back to the station and cross the tracks once again to the station entrance and you'll run into Takeshita Dori. Take that to the Meiji Dori, hang a right and take it until you hit Omotesando. Take a left and go up to Aoyama Dori, then back down until you hit the little side streets on the left just prior to the old site of Kiddyland toy store... take those little streets down until you hit the Meiji Dori, which will take you to
Shibuya.... It's a nice walk and if the weather's good, so much better....

I wouldn't do Roppongi either.... though I haven't been there so I can't say if it's worth it.... there are so many places to see, you have to chose wisely and really savour and relish the ones you're in, because if you hit too many places, you feel rushed and don't enjoy them as much as you should....

Have these places in mind, along with a vague itinerary, with the plan that they can change in a moments notice.... If it's raining outside, then it wouldn't be a good day to go taking photos outside, etc. When I was there last, I had my Sunday reserved for Harajuku and Akiba, since I thought they would be where the action was. There was not a soul at the Harajuku Station cosplay area and this was past noon on a sunny 75 degree October day. I headed to Akiba after the Formula One race (I'm a fan).

If this is going to be your only trip to Japan in your life, then I'd cram as much as possible, but if it isn't, then plan to see what you missed, if it's worth it, on your next trip. My last one was the second tourist trip the Japan for me and while I saw more than the first one, I still missed many parts of Japan, which I plan to rectify in about 14 months....

I don't know what more to say, I am not even close to being anywhere near the vicinity of knowing my way around Tokyo, much less, Japan, so just take my advice as one person's observation, based on his own experience. Hope it helped a bit and, with the advice of others here, you can get a better picture of what's ahead for ya....

Just have fun and enjoy what you DO see and do.... Everything else will still be there for the next time you go!

And I apologize for the excessively long post....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 12-20-2010 at 02:22 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

12-20-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
-Kyoto Perfecture- (3days)
Kiyomizudera Temple
Ginkakuji
Kinkakuji
Kyoto Station
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Daigoji Temple
Toji Temples
Tetsugaku no Michi
Nishikikoji Dori

I'm a bit suprised here since my friend told me I'll need 3 days to visit every sight in Kyoto, is he right or I can do everything faster?

Thanks again!
I went to Kyoto and took and entire day to visit Ryoan-ji, Kinkaku-ji, and do the Philosopher's walk, so I tend to believe your friend.... Don't rush what you do, enjoy it fully....
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Silchuki14 (Offline)
New to JF

12-20-2010, 03:21 AM

Thanks a lot for your post.

That's exactly that kind of advice I wanted to know! It's really appreciated!

It's my first trip to Japan but I'm pretty sure it won't be the last one. (Hopefully)

Thanks for the advice about the itinerary. I want this itinerary to be a guide for me, only. So I won't waste time thinking what to do and to much train travel time.

Thanks again!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-20-2010, 08:56 PM

Your interenary for Tokyo is pretty decent, heck I walked to Akiba from Shinjuku and you go through Shibuya getting there, killing two birds with one stone, took me roughly 2 hours to walk all the way. Took the subway back.

However Shibuya does have some killer buildings if your into architecture. Fashion row along with Catwalk St, that's a couple hours right there.

As for the Imperial Gardens, I found Shinjuku Goyen (which is actually the Imperial gardens as well) more interesting, it costs you I think 2-300 yen or so.

Awesome park !

You could throw in Meiji-Jingu as well, pretty cool Shinto shrine and a HUGE one at that. Pretty much next door to Shinjuku.

As for Shinjuku station heh ... it's got over 150 exits, one of the more popular places to meet up was/still is the Studio Alta LCD display. It's a seriously kick butt subway station.

Roppongi is worth a walk around during the day, some neat stuff to be seen

AVOID it at night.