JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
shaneyward (Offline)
New to JF

Visit Tokyo, need help - 01-20-2011, 08:38 AM

I'm going to Tokyo next month with some friends and will stay there for 2 weeks but haven't decided yet about which hotel to stay in. Can anyone suggest some hotels which have good view, good facilities in rooms, and good price too . Also, can anyone suggest some restaurants with special dishes. Because what I want is that in two weeks I can enjoy almost special dishes in Tokyo. Thanks for any suggestions! There's still one thing. I really love watching cherry blossom in Japan. Does anyone know the time of cherry blossom. Is it in this season???
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneyward View Post
I'm going to Tokyo next month with some friends and will stay there for 2 weeks but haven't decided yet about which hotel to stay in. Can anyone suggest some hotels which have good view, good facilities in rooms, and good price too . Also, can anyone suggest some restaurants with special dishes. Because what I want is that in two weeks I can enjoy almost special dishes in Tokyo. Thanks for any suggestions! There's still one thing. I really love watching cherry blossom in Japan. Does anyone know the time of cherry blossom. Is it in this season???
Hanami, flower viewing of sakura, is end of March, beginning of April....

As far as the other request, it's much too vast to delve into.... There are many threads regarding this topic on this very forum.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-20-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneyward View Post
How much do you want to spend? How many friends are you traveling with? I am going to be with 5 people in June, and currently we have booked Hotel Nikko in Odaiba. It comes out to be about 90USD per person per night:

Hotel Nikko Tokyo - JAL Hotels | Hotel Nikko - Hotel Nikko Tokyo Business Hotel Rooms and Affordable Luxury Hotel Accommodations
(#4 (permalink))
Old
redswinglinestapler (Offline)
New to JF

01-20-2011, 03:21 PM

What's your budget for hotel? We've stayed in everything from the Four Seasons to a mid-priced hotel in Ikebukuro to a traditional ryokan.

What part of the city would you prefer to stay in?

Here's a post I did on my blog of a very special dinner we had (scroll down) in Shinjuku. The entire meal was attended by our hostess who grilled each dish in front of us. If this sounds interesting to you, let me know and I'll look back at my diary to find the name of the place.

attentiondef... ooh! shiny!: Japan Diaries, Part 8: More subway exploration

Have you ever had shabu-shabu? I can let you know at least three places that are fantastic, depending on what part of Tokyo you're in.

- Dave
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Gahzirra (Offline)
JF Regular

01-20-2011, 05:01 PM

What's your age and how old?

I ask as I am 38 but a very young and athletic looking 38. I had booked hotels but ended up mid way on my month long vacation switching to hostels. I had a pretty much limitless budget but did this as I found I had a better experience at the hostels. It feels more like home, you get better information on whats the thing to do and see. For example, I asked my hotel concierge what were some great things to do in Tokyo...he pointed me to the rack of canned tour trips. Same question at the hostel I got a xeroxed hostel designed map of all the cool things within walking distance, along with favorite restaurants. Also at night and in the morning just chatting with the other gaijin is a wealth of information and first hand knowledge of the cool finds for the day. The hostels had a wide range of ages most were mid 20-30's, but I did run into several 40-50+ as well. (Hostels in my opinion were clean and modern and gave a home feel)

Also by staying at a hostel for like $30usd a person if you had been on a budget or even had a large budget, you don't think twice about dropping the coin for a night time helicopter ride around Tokyo. Japan is more about the experience then your accomodations. I bought box seats to Sumo, helicopter rides, waterbus around Odaiba, ate a $200 Ohmi steak in Gion, the list goes on...

Many of the Aussies, Brits, Fin's and Koreans I had met while at the hostel have become great friends and I continue to follow their travels.

If I were to go back to Japan I would stay in a hostel again I felt it to be the best experience.