JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
yefeng (Offline)
New to JF

Looking for travelers to Japan during January and February - 01-20-2011, 05:09 PM

Hi guys,

My name is Yefeng Liu, I'm a PhD candidate from Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan.

For my PhD research I am developing a mobile social search system where a community of local experts will help foreigners, that are either traveling or staying/living in Japan, who do not have Japanese skills and have language/cultural problems or questions while staying in Japan. I am looking for foreigners who are willing to test this system. The system works like this: when being in Japan due to language difficulties, cultural differences or just curiosity, in many situations you as a foreigner/traveler, need translation, explanations, suggestions or advice. This could range from signs, posters, events to strange Japanese customs. This service will answer all your questions, just take a picture of what you are interested in and then upload it via our free iPhone app, or even more simpler, by mobile emailing (due to research reason we prefer geotagged photo sent from mobile, thus photo took by camera is not supported) with your question related to the picture. A local expert from an volunteers' community will support you and answer your question.

If you are in Japan in January or February, I would like to invite you to participate in my user test. I will send you the beta version iPhone application or the email addr and when you are in Japan you can send pictures whenever you want (if you are worried about overseas 3g usage fee, you can also take the picture and save it, and send it when you arrive to any free WIFI spot). At the end of your stay in Japan we will send you an e-mail with a few questions, which will only take about 10 minutes to fill out. Participation in this test will only take about 30 minutes of your time (installing the software and answering the questions) and you benefit from the knowledge of the local experts that answer your questions.

If you're interested in participating, please drop me an email and I will get back to you with detailed information.

My contact: [email protected]
My hp: Yefeng Liu(刘野枫)'s Homepage

Thank you very much,

Best Regards,
Yefeng