JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Taylor22 (Offline)
New to JF

Tokyo - Ghibli Attractions - 01-28-2011, 07:41 AM

My husband, teenage daughter, and I are planning a trip to Japan this summer. Our last week is in Tokyo and since my daughter has always loved Studio Ghibli movies we're taking her to the museum in Mitaka. She also wants to go to a place called Venus Fort Mall in Odaiba because she read there is a set up there for Ghibli and also that the shopping is good around there. I know nothing of this place and was just wondering if anyone can tell me anything because I can't seem to find any information on the place.

I have however found that the two places are quite far from each other (2 hours I believe?) and also not very close to anything else we're doing around that area. How we plan to solve this is to save them for the last 2 days of our trip so I was wondering if anyone knows of a hotel we could stay at between the two or where I could look to find that information.

Thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
josebrown (Offline)
JF Regular

01-28-2011, 08:16 AM

from my readings you should reserve tickets because you cant walk in and get them, you needs to reserve months in advance! start now.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Taylor22 (Offline)
New to JF

01-28-2011, 08:30 AM

You mean for the Ghibli museum? Yes, we have that all taken care of but thanks anyways! Right now we're just wondering how we should go about going to both places since they're not close. And also information about Odaiba and the Venus Fort Mall.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-28-2011, 08:52 AM

Odaiba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Odaiba VenusFort

Good for shopping and some attractions. I like Odaiba, as there is a TV studio there.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor22 View Post
My husband, teenage daughter, and I are planning a trip to Japan this summer. Our last week is in Tokyo and since my daughter has always loved Studio Ghibli movies we're taking her to the museum in Mitaka. She also wants to go to a place called Venus Fort Mall in Odaiba because she read there is a set up there for Ghibli and also that the shopping is good around there. I know nothing of this place and was just wondering if anyone can tell me anything because I can't seem to find any information on the place.

I have however found that the two places are quite far from each other (2 hours I believe?) and also not very close to anything else we're doing around that area. How we plan to solve this is to save them for the last 2 days of our trip so I was wondering if anyone knows of a hotel we could stay at between the two or where I could look to find that information.

Thanks in advance!
How much do you want to spend on hotel? I stayed at Tokyo prince last time, it wasn't expensive. Short walk to Hamamatsucho station, which give you access to Daiba and Yamanote line.

My wife and I are also big fan of Ghibli, we visited both places, also on different days. Ghibli is not something that will last uyou an entire day. What we did was we went there as it opens, watch the film and did a bit of shopping (The gift shop is PACKED, and its darn expensive), we had lunch, by the time we are done its only around 1:00ish, so you can still travel back to Odaiba and visit Venus Fort, Pallette Town and such.....

Odaiba is also one of my favourite destination. That and Yokohama
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Taylor22 (Offline)
New to JF

01-28-2011, 06:55 PM

Thank you godwine! We were actually thinking of staying at Tokyo Prince. I also wasn't sure if it would be too rushed to do both in one day but if you say it's not that's definitely helpful and is what we will plan to do.

I figured the gift shop at the Ghibli museum would be expensive. Would it be cheaper to wait until we reach Odaiba to pick up some Ghibli souvenirs?

Thank so much for the help!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

01-28-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor22 View Post
Thank you godwine! We were actually thinking of staying at Tokyo Prince. I also wasn't sure if it would be too rushed to do both in one day but if you say it's not that's definitely helpful and is what we will plan to do.

I figured the gift shop at the Ghibli museum would be expensive. Would it be cheaper to wait until we reach Odaiba to pick up some Ghibli souvenirs?

Thank so much for the help!
The "museum" isn't that big, its interesting to walk around the many path inside, but thats about it.... i think we spend maybe 3 hours there all together...

assuming you the museum at 2:00, you will definitely get to daiba at no later than 3:15. most store don't close until 7ish 8 anyways... THOUGH, i don't remember seeing a ghibli place at daiba... others maybe able to comment more

I do remember seeing a Ghibli store inside landmark tower... it was there the last i visited in 2009.... they have things that the Museum gift store doesn't have, they also have un-official ghibli items... the museum sell very very unique and rare thing.. i bought a statue/music box thing (the robot from Laputa), it cost me about USD60.. but its definitely something you cannot buy elsewhere... they also had a DVD player with a remote in the shape of an acorn.... there are a lot of unique items... darn expensive, but if you want to make money, the same statue i have was sold on ebay for like 140 USD....

Last edited by godwine : 01-28-2011 at 08:04 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Taylor22 (Offline)
New to JF

01-28-2011, 09:08 PM

This is the link my daughter gave me about the Ghibli place in Odaiba. At Venus Fort mall Flickr: aranmanoth's Photostream (just scroll to the bottom) It is an old link though so I'm wondering if maybe that store isn't there anymore...?

Either wall, Odaiba seems like a fun place to visit and I think we'll go check it out anyway.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-28-2011, 09:31 PM

Odaiba is a shopping mall for the tourist.
It is different from a usual discount house.
Because the license is severe with Ghibli, it is not possible to sell cheap.
totoroshu1[1].jpg

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#10 (permalink))
Old
josebrown (Offline)
JF Regular

01-28-2011, 09:58 PM

wow those are cupcakes?
how much?