JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Passau (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation cheap tokyo? - 01-28-2011, 05:00 PM

hi everyone! a friend of mine and me, we're planning to travel to tokyo in march. i just heard that tokyo's very expensive, is that true? as i'm a student, i don't have a lot of money. so maybe you can give me some advices how we can have good but cheap time in japan. where can we live? (is camping too cold in march? if not, do u know good camping places?) is food in supermarkets expensive? what can we visit, that does not cost too much?
thanks for helping
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passau View Post
hi everyone! a friend of mine and me, we're planning to travel to tokyo in march. i just heard that tokyo's very expensive, is that true? as i'm a student, i don't have a lot of money. so maybe you can give me some advices how we can have good but cheap time in japan. where can we live? (is camping too cold in march? if not, do u know good camping places?) is food in supermarkets expensive? what can we visit, that does not cost too much?
thanks for helping
If you don't have any money, why are you going to Tokyo? I am sure you would have a better time locally than living like a homeless person for a week in Tokyo.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-28-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passau View Post
thanks for helping
You have to plan to spend money. There no fun in using all your savings to get to Japan from Germany only to live the life of a bum there.... Plan to spend about $250/day there (lodging included-if not more) if you want to have a decent time without going overboard in your purchases. Anything else is just not advisable.... You're going half-way across the world to a great country-take advantage of all its benefits!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-28-2011, 10:15 PM

Well $250 a day if it includes your hotel rate, sounds good.

$250 a day on it's own and you'll have a VERY nice time in Tokyo.

Tokyo is on par with Manhattan and Toronto, some things are a little more others are a little less.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
steel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-28-2011, 10:37 PM

Bike Camping in Japan- on a shoestring .. probably provides an extreme example.

Japan Youth Hostels, Inc. probably provides a better example of affordable accomodations for students. And backpacking hotels like the New Koyo at Y2500 per night are about as cheap as you can get.

Cheap 'traditional' "Japanese fast food" shops like Yoshinoya are ubiquitous with their beef bowl still priced at Y280. Not exactly healthy but at least you have a benchmark to work from.

Last edited by steel : 01-28-2011 at 10:51 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
josebrown (Offline)
JF Regular

01-28-2011, 10:48 PM

it CAN be done cheaply.

hostel: $30
train ticket if tokyo metro ONLY if you get the open pass: $5 ($10 for a 2 day pass)
food: $10, you live ultra cheap.

tokyo for only $45 a day!

Not saying that this is how it should be done. but it can.
you would be much happier delaying your trip and saving more of course! But maybe you just want to experience the environment so its up to you.

Last edited by josebrown : 01-28-2011 at 11:17 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Passau (Offline)
New to JF

01-31-2011, 02:16 PM

thanks josebrown. well, i don't pay anything for the flight anyway (my mum works at lufthansa and gives me a free ticket) and i found a place to stay (a nice person who'll lend us his couch) so this will cost nothig, too. so just for food, metro, enty prices etc do u think 400€ (that's abot 550$) will be enough for two weeks.
by the way I had a very good time travelling europe last summer, spending very less money. but well, i spoke the languages, i knew the culture and people under 25 get free in every museum..
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-31-2011, 09:21 PM

I think two weeks in Tokyo at $40 a day for food/travel/site-seeing is very very difficult. If the plane ticket is free, then spend one week and be able to enjoy yourself a little.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-02-2011, 12:35 AM

It's doable but why ?

Your free museum options are quite limited, this is not EUR or NA. Your admission would be $6.00+,and some parks $2-$3.

Double it to $80 and you'll have a better time, I mean in terms of options.

Subway is $2.50 - $3.50 one way, heading out to Yokohama or other regions are around $10+ each way.

Yes Tokyo can be done on the "cheap" but only after being familiar with it and by that I mean several visits by yourself not reading a guide.

I can do Manhattan quite well on $40 a day but that's because I have family to stay with when I'm there. However that's pretty limited compared to what the city has to offer

Last edited by Polar : 02-02-2011 at 12:50 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
josebrown (Offline)
JF Regular

02-03-2011, 04:47 AM

he's getting a free ticket + free place to stay.
better than not coming to tokyo!