LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-14-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Totally vibe. I haven't been in either district for more than ten years, so I don't if things have changed.
Kabukicho improved a lot, I mean, i am sure there are still some Yakuza that have bases in the area, but thy are not as visible, and as long as people mind their on thing its all good. Tourists are no longer unwelcome as long as they don't do anything stupid or crazy

Roppongi, the only thing that makes me worry are the number of illegal immigrants (without prejudice, but specifically the Nigerian) hanging around the area. As far as I am concern, Nigerian bouncer = bad news
(#12 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-14-2011, 11:17 AM

How do you know they are illegals?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-14-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
How do you know they are illegals?
I don't... i just don't believe everyone there are staying there legally... especially the bouncers...
(#14 (permalink))
Old
xkmkmlmx (Offline)
JF Regular

02-14-2011, 09:58 PM

Hmmm now that you mention it, I do remember getting into two separate arguments in Shinjuku. One was right outside of kabukicho.

One was with a Nigerian who grabbed my arm trying to get me into a club. But they way he did it was forceful and totally caught me off guard. I was visibly upset but he didn't get mad, he just kind of shrugged it off. Definitely did not apologize.

The other was with a Filipino guy in his early 30's maybe? He was following and harassing a group of girls that were in my group. I did not know them well, but we were all kind of together and they were obviously annoyed. I said something to the guy and he got in my face aggressively. I don't remember what I did, I think I just stood there waiting for him to do something and he ended up not? I don't remember.

Those were BOTh in my first trip there weirdly enough.

At any rate, thanks guys for helping me remember blocked bad experiences! :P And answering my own question lol.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
steel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-15-2011, 12:19 AM

Although I do not see him there any more, there used to be this white American guy who used to tout alongside the Nigerians in Roppongi. He put out a weird defensive vibe and did not take rejection very well - I remember him yelling pathetically after a businessman who told him to get lost.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
skywok (Offline)
New to JF

Pretty Sure.. - 02-16-2011, 12:10 PM

I am pretty sure that I didn't drop it, but I can't be sure as I didn't see it dropped or taken. I do recall putting it into my bag on my back as I left Harajuku station and then go down the mall.

The zips on the back of my bag were made for easy access.

I checked with the local train station lost and found, and no one had seen it.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

02-16-2011, 06:50 PM

My question is a bit-related to the thread... where are the places where the yakuza are located? Say if I went to Tokyo, is there a probability that I will encounter the japanese mafia?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-16-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenwe View Post
My question is a bit-related to the thread... where are the places where the yakuza are located? Say if I went to Tokyo, is there a probability that I will encounter the japanese mafia?
Your chances of interacting with the Japanese mafia are somewhere between slim and none. And if you were to interact with one chances are you wouldn't know he was yakuza.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

02-16-2011, 07:08 PM

I see, thanks.