JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
xkmkmlmx (Offline)
JF Regular

Bad areas in Tokyo? - 02-13-2011, 02:21 AM

The "dangerous men" thread had me thinking. Are there any known bad neighborhoods in Tokyo? More crime, higher chance of something bad happening to you, etc.

A lot of times when I visited, I stayed in Shinjuku and had to walk through Kabukicho to get to my hotel. Outside of the generally shadiness of the businesses and such, I never felt like it was dangerous in any way.

I honestly have never felt this way ever in Tokyo except for once... but I don't remember where I was haha. I think I remember being stuck in Ikebukuro late after the trains stopped running and I had to make my way back to Shinjuku so I decided to walk it. I remember getting weird vibes and stares on the way back, but I can't pinpoint where. You know, weirder stares than the usual.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows of any areas to stay out of. Especially if you're gaijin.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-13-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkmkmlmx View Post
The "dangerous men" thread had me thinking. Are there any known bad neighborhoods in Tokyo? More crime, higher chance of something bad happening to you, etc.

A lot of times when I visited, I stayed in Shinjuku and had to walk through Kabukicho to get to my hotel. Outside of the generally shadiness of the businesses and such, I never felt like it was dangerous in any way.

I honestly have never felt this way ever in Tokyo except for once... but I don't remember where I was haha. I think I remember being stuck in Ikebukuro late after the trains stopped running and I had to make my way back to Shinjuku so I decided to walk it. I remember getting weird vibes and stares on the way back, but I can't pinpoint where. You know, weirder stares than the usual.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows of any areas to stay out of. Especially if you're gaijin.
The only places in Japan where I ever felt an inkling that I might not be safe were Kabukicho and Roppongi.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
xkmkmlmx (Offline)
JF Regular

02-13-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The only places in Japan where I ever felt an inkling that I might not be safe were Kabukicho and Roppongi.
Did anything specific happen or was it just a general vibe type thing?

A friend of mine was robbed in a bar in Kabukicho once. They stole money out of her purse while another distracted her. It was a bunch of gaijin visiting from England, though, so I don't think that is a good example.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
skywok (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation Shinjuku - 02-13-2011, 06:57 AM

I was at the train station at night, and a lady there actually took me from the platform, paid for a cab and made sure I was at safe accommodation. Really, you shouldn't be at a train station at night anyway I know.

She said there's mafia (yakuza) around that area and it just wasn't safe for me to be there. During previous evenings, I noticed that there were mainly men on the streets, and they stared - much more than in other areas. When you first get Japan, you can easily mistake these stares for gaijin interest - but I got the vibe it was more than that.

A few times I saw the classic yakuza look - sunglasses and dark suits, one guy looked _very_ mafia and he kept staring at me. Quite unnerving. Tattoos also indicate mafia.

I had a cuban guy trying to get me back to his apartment after just meeting him on the street. I got the feeling that something was amiss.

Higashi-Shinjuku Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's all quite subtle, so pay attention to details. I'd also say read up about drink spiking, as that is pretty common in some areas.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2011, 07:02 AM

Yeah the only place I have heard about with a bad rep is Roppongi. Overall though Japan is ridiculously safe. If you wanna mug me or something Japan would be the place to do it, since I have my guard down like 95% of the time.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

02-13-2011, 07:09 AM

side question.
is yakuza armed in japan? since guns are not allowed for citizens guns should be rather rare...so-they run around beating people up with wooden swords or whatever and only special cases have involvement of guns?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
side question.
is yakuza armed in japan? since guns are not allowed for citizens guns should be rather rare...so-they run around beating people up with wooden swords or whatever and only special cases have involvement of guns?
I would say... generally no.. but if anybody was to have them it would be the Kuuz. Gun incidents are quite rare. So really I think your average gangster is rarely always packing heat.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-13-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkmkmlmx View Post
Did anything specific happen or was it just a general vibe type thing?

A friend of mine was robbed in a bar in Kabukicho once. They stole money out of her purse while another distracted her. It was a bunch of gaijin visiting from England, though, so I don't think that is a good example.
Totally vibe. I haven't been in either district for more than ten years, so I don't if things have changed.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
skywok (Offline)
New to JF

Blackberry from Bag in Harajuku - 02-13-2011, 07:54 AM

Harajuku's awesome - one of my favorite poky, hippy, diverse funky places in Tokyo.

Once there I did have a Blackberry taken from my backpack though. I'm a little more cautious where I store my electricals now. Also, a money belt is essential - perhaps two - one for your passport, just in case.

It was probably just a freak mugging in Harajuku (who knows - maybe by a gaijin), as I always feel great there.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
xkmkmlmx (Offline)
JF Regular

02-14-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywok View Post
Once there I did have a Blackberry taken from my backpack though. I'm a little more cautious where I store my electricals now. Also, a money belt is essential - perhaps two - one for your passport, just in case.
Do you know for sure it was a mugging and you didn't accidentally drop it or leave it somewhere? Did you notice any shady people around the time you lost it?