JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Booking train from Narita (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/36098-booking-train-narita.html)

lanceoak 02-13-2011 08:19 PM

Booking train from Narita

Hello everyone... This will be our first trip to Japan and we are looking at landing at Narita Airport for a stay in Tokyo. We've not been on a high-speed train before so we are looking at taking the JR Narita Express (N'EX) train.

I understand you need reservations. We are flying standby so we could end up arriving the next day from our plans. How far in advance must you reserve seats on this train...... We are reading the forum as well to get some good travel points...

In advance, thank you and any travel hints are also welcomed...

Lance

MMM 02-13-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanceoak (Post 850918)
Hello everyone... This will be our first trip to Japan and we are looking at landing at Narita Airport for a stay in Tokyo. We've not been on a high-speed train before so we are looking at taking the JR Narita Express (N'EX) train.

I understand you need reservations. We are flying standby so we could end up arriving the next day from our plans. How far in advance must you reserve seats on this train...... We are reading the forum as well to get some good travel points...

In advance, thank you and any travel hints are also welcomed...

Lance

You need to purchase a ticket, but I don't think you even can in advance. It runs a couple times an hour, so I would suggest just going to the N'EX station and purchasing the next available ticket. I don't think it ever sells out.

About N'EX | Narita Express | JR-EAST

lanceoak 02-14-2011 03:37 AM

Thank you.. good news... we will be flying from eastern Canada so we'll be a little tired. Nice to see we can get on so easily... appreciate your help.

godwine 02-14-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanceoak (Post 850957)
Thank you.. good news... we will be flying from eastern Canada so we'll be a little tired. Nice to see we can get on so easily... appreciate your help.

There are frequent trains from NRT to Tokyo, so don't worry too much about it. The airport layout is also not complex.. it should be quite simple for you to get yourself to tokyo.....

steel 02-14-2011 11:42 AM

lanceoak 02-14-2011 03:33 PM

Godwine and Steel.. appreciated.. Interesting clip on the subway but, not having taken a high speed train - well, have to take it from the airport. But, I understand with the Nex train, you can get a deal that includes the transit card - we'll do that as we know we will be taking the subways while there.

xkmkmlmx 02-14-2011 09:51 PM

Interesting. I have never seen the Suica card before. How long have they been around? Does anyone know how to recharge them after you buy one?

steel 02-15-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xkmkmlmx (Post 851065)
Interesting. I have never seen the Suica card before. How long have they been around? Does anyone know how to recharge them after you buy one?

Suica wiki: Suica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How to re-charge: Suica | Fares & Passes | JR-EAST

The SUICA development story: JR-EAST:Research and Development - R&D Story

MMM 02-15-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanceoak (Post 851036)
Godwine and Steel.. appreciated.. Interesting clip on the subway but, not having taken a high speed train - well, have to take it from the airport. But, I understand with the Nex train, you can get a deal that includes the transit card - we'll do that as we know we will be taking the subways while there.

I want to make sure you are not confusing N'ex with the bullet train, or Shinkansen.

samokan 02-15-2011 05:16 AM

Just a question, where are you staying in Tokyo?

I just asked because, I want to suggest using the Limousine Bus instead. From the arrival area in Narita going to the platform is a few minutes walk and then there are the stairs too, with heavy luggage with you it is not fun.

The bus is basically just outside the arrival area and getting the ticket is much easier too. Someone will also stow your luggage in the bus for you.

there is also another train from narita, called the keisei line, have not used it personally but I heard good things about it and much cheaper than NEX.

anyways, lots of train and buses from narita to Tokyo, you won't have any problem :)