JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Question Most traditional village in Japan - 02-15-2011, 05:34 AM

Well I'm back after a bit of a break from JapanForum, and coming back with this thread.

So first of all, I'm not dillusioned that there are places in Japan where people still walk around in Kimonos and are Samurais etc.

What I'd like to know is if there are any traditional villages in Japan. It can be in any way, like the architecture or customs.
The only way to see places like these nowadays is probably in museums.

But if there are any places like this outside of museums, either inhabited or even abandoned, then be sure to drop in some names here. :P
Location also doesn't matter. Anywhere in Japan, from Hokkaido to Okinawa, is welcome.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
konbini (Offline)
JF Regular

02-15-2011, 06:08 AM

Depends how old u mean? I went to a tiny village in Nagano called Narai. Most people there were old and there was traditional buildings.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

02-15-2011, 06:53 AM

I would have to mention Shirakawa-Gou in Gifu Pref. for its physical beauty. The houses with thatched roofs make it extremely unique in the 21-century Japan.

Last edited by masaegu : 02-15-2011 at 07:08 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-16-2011, 01:18 AM

Wow, thanks guys!
Those are a lot closer than I would have thought possible to get!

I liked Narai, but wow the train fare to there from Tokyo is sky high, even if I don't take the Shinkansen! XD
Thanks for the future destination though konbini!

And Masaegu, Shirakawa looks amazing! The fare to go there is quite cheap too, even though on Google Maps it actually looks further than Narai. XD
And by a HUGE coincidence, I've literally just today finished watching Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. Now I swear that up until I researched your village just now... I had no idea it was what the village in that was based on! Now that's gotta be a good coincidence!

I think I'll go there in July. I see that you can have tours of the houses and see some good shrines, so there seems lots to do.

Looks absolutely perfect for photography too.
Thanks a bunch Masaegu!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-17-2011, 05:00 AM

Ahaa, just discovered that the website was taking me to the wrong Shirakawa, and the real one is really complicated and expensive to get to lol

Anyhow, if there's any more you can think of then I'd appreciate it.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
konbini (Offline)
JF Regular

02-17-2011, 06:46 AM

I did look even better than Narai. But u know u can take a bus to Matsumoto much cheaper and quicker than a train. Then it is a short train ride to Narai. Even better u can explore the beauty of the Nagano region.