JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
konbini (Offline)
JF Regular

02-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Tons of Chinese go to Japan and encounter no problems. From what I observed, Japanese society is not more discriminatory than others. There are many second and third generation Chinese and Koreans in Japan. The Chinese are often seen as model citizens. Koreans are sometimes stigmatized due to the yakuza and North Korean issues. Some Chinese have also been involved in organised crime, but somehow their image is better. I don't really know much, I would be more interested in what a Japanese person thinks.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Tturtle (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-16-2011, 03:04 PM

I live in the U.S. in the South and I would say I encounter racism much more here if I go out of town to an area I'm not familiar with than when I went to Tokyo and Osaka in a country where I don't even speak the language. On top of that random people helped me. People helped me even when I didn't ask for help. One guy was mean to me, but I think he was in a bad mood anyway. So adding to what everyone else is saying I think you will be fine.

Has anyone checked the coring room?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

02-16-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywok View Post
I had a drink with a Chinese guy who grew up in Japan (he just sat down next to me and we started talking). He told me that there was quite a strong difference between the cultures, and he was aware of that. He said that they didn't really like each other because they're so different, however since he understood the culture - that it was okay for him and he didn't notice it much.

I would also say that American culture is pretty different to the Japanese one.

As someone who has had experience of the Chinese culture, I would say it will probably be okay if you have respect for their culture and try to assimilate to some extent. (For me, that's all part of the experience)

Just as if some loud Australian or loud American went across to Japan (I did travel with a loud Australian, I was so embarrassed - by the way I am Australian) they too would feel like they are shunned a little. It probably a lot less about where you come from, and a lot more about how you present yourself.

Imagine a foreigner came to China - would you want them to behave in a way that upsets your culture, and your idea of manners?

I would say:

* be gentle and humble in all circumstances (*never push or be aggressive, talk gently, smile, allow people to go in front of you, never block the path of others)

* give and be open, without expecting anything in return.

* respect hygiene (eg. handwashing after bathroom with soap)

* try and learn the language (even just a little, this makes a huge difference)

* take your time & respect people's personal space as much as possible (eg.
not walking too close to people on the street)

* being aware of who is around you and what they are doing

* be happy! people in any country love people who are enjoying being in their country (and really what is not to be happy about) - appreciate the people, there's nothing wrong with a smile if you see someone laughing or doing something funny.

* respect their manners (eg. chopstick methods and manners) people in restaurants often comment to me how they are surprised at how I handle chopsticks I am always surprised that they even notice, but I figure it must be a bit important to them (probably different for Chinese, though there are some specific manners involved)

In short - if you can still enjoy yourself whilst being completely considerate of others around you, you should be okay - and even help the relations and respect between your countries by just a little.
Well, I live in North America, Canada, so yeah you coul say that I'm very americanized. RT, I understand nothing of the blog, I don't speak japanese (Well, a little, but learnt from the japanese anime and whatnot!). And judging from what everyone said, I guess the Chinese are much more prejudiced against Japanese people.

Last edited by Elenwe : 02-16-2011 at 04:04 PM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-16-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenwe View Post
Well, I live in North America, Canada, so yeah you coul say that I'm very americanized. RT, I understand nothing of the blog, I don't speak japanese (Well, a little, but learnt from the japanese anime and whatnot!). And judging from what everyone said, I guess the Chinese are much more prejudiced against Japanese people.
Not saying its the right thing to do, but Chinese also have more reasons to. I am not one of those people, I am pro Japan and Japanese if anything, but its true Chinese are far more prejudiced against Japanese. And really, in my opinion, all that for nothing
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

02-17-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Not saying its the right thing to do, but Chinese also have more reasons to. I am not one of those people, I am pro Japan and Japanese if anything, but its true Chinese are far more prejudiced against Japanese. And really, in my opinion, all that for nothing
I see, well, my parents are that type of prejudiced chinese people, extremely traditional, anti-Japan and the chinese community I know as well, so that's why I asked this question.