JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Is 1700 US dollars enough? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/36171-1700-us-dollars-enough.html)

Sitron 02-17-2011 07:47 PM

Is 1700 US dollars enough?

After paying for the flight ticket and hotel I will have 1700 US dollars for food and some shopping in Toyo. I am planning on staying there for 9 days. Will 1700 dollars cover my costs including food?

Things I am planning to buy (besides food of course):

- children's books in Japanese

- maybe a couple of t-shirts and jeans.

alanX 02-17-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitron (Post 851610)
After paying for the flight ticket and hotel I will have 1700 US dollars for food and some shopping in Toyo. I am planning on staying there for 9 days. Will 1700 dollars cover my costs including food?

Go for it, my friend. You're as free as the wind.

Maruchan Ramen.
Just don't plan on high rolling. Apparently, Tokyo is the most expensive place in Japan.
I'd set a maximum budget of about $150 a day.
That way you'll have a little emergency cash afterward.

josebrown 02-17-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitron (Post 851610)

if you go hostel living you should have plenty of cash left!

MMM 02-17-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josebrown (Post 851620)
if you go hostel living you should have plenty of cash left!

The 1700 doesn't include hotel.

Sitron 02-17-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 851622)
The 1700 doesn't include hotel.

So what do you think MMM? You're the Japan expert here

MMM 02-18-2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitron (Post 851632)
So what do you think MMM? You're the Japan expert here

That should be more than enough to enjoy yourself.

RealJames 02-18-2011 03:29 AM

that's about 140k yen these days I think,

for just shopping, food and transportation you should be fine, not fancy but fine :)

jesselt 02-18-2011 04:42 AM

Some things I would watch out for:

Taxis. If you take a Taxi everywhere you go, your money will drain pretty quickly. The Subway system and local trains may seem intimidating, but it is pretty simple once you are actually there.

Jeans. I bring this up because you mentioned buying jeans. I bought a pair of jeans in Tokyo last time I was there and they are the best jeans I have (quality wise and stylish) but they also cost around $160. I wanted several other pairs of jeans while in Japan, and several of them exceeded $200 or $300 each. Just don't buy too many and you should be fine ;)

godwine 02-18-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesselt (Post 851664)
Some things I would watch out for:

Taxis. If you take a Taxi everywhere you go, your money will drain pretty quickly. The Subway system and local trains may seem intimidating, but it is pretty simple once you are actually there.

Jeans. I bring this up because you mentioned buying jeans. I bought a pair of jeans in Tokyo last time I was there and they are the best jeans I have (quality wise and stylish) but they also cost around $160. I wanted several other pairs of jeans while in Japan, and several of them exceeded $200 or $300 each. Just don't buy too many and you should be fine ;)

I guess it depends on where you get it from... I did most of my clothing shopping at jeans mate and the like, they are very affordable.... my friend bought a sweater at shibuya for well over 250, so it depends on where and what you are getting..

RickOShay 02-18-2011 11:36 PM

I am really tempted to make a sarcastic comment but in the name of civility I will just say that 1700 bucks should be plenty under normal circumstances.