JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Dutchie (Offline)
New to JF

Japan vs wheelchair - 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM

Hi al ,

I always wanted to go on a vacation to Japan.
There is one thing that is holding me back...how is it to see Japan if you are in a wheelchair.
10 years ago i broke my back in a motorcycle accident and that made me bound to a wheelchair.
Now i live in the Netherlands (or Holland if you will) and here it doesn't make a difference if you are in a wheelchair or not.
People treat you as normal and don't act different because of it.
Also Holland if a flat country and stores and such are easily accesable.
How are things in Japan...how do the people react to a person in a wheelchair?
Do they treat you as a full person or do they react different?
I know much depends on myself to , i'm a easy going guy who is always looking for fun and not the silent type
(my looks also work as a big plus hahaha)

My plan is to visit Tokyo and i know a couple of hotels that are perfect for wheelchairs so that is sorted out.
I have seen in youtube films the sidewalks and streets in Tokyo and they seem to be no problem to.
The shops seem a little tight from what i saw.

So to sum it up :

How are the Japanese people to guys in wheelchairs?
Are the shops in town accesible?
I can take a taxi but how is public transport?

If you guys have any questions please ask.

Hope you can help me.

Last edited by Dutchie : 02-21-2011 at 11:08 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

02-21-2011, 11:20 PM

I can't really answer your first question but I really don't know, sorry.
For your second question, yes and no. Most major places and stations will generally provide an elevator or ramps that are wheelchair accessible, but unfortunately Japan is also a city of boutique style shops that are tight and vertically rather than horizontally due to space constraints. Tokyo is abound with stairs and tight spaces.
Also Tokyo is quite a hilly city in some places, so this may be a small problem. I've seen plenty of automatic wheelchairs that may be a reason to help alleviate this problem, but I don't know your situation. Are you traveling alone?
Public transport from what I've seen is more than accommodating. The train conductors will lay down a ramp for you and clear a path for you to get on and off the trains, allowing you very easy access on and off.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Dutchie (Offline)
New to JF

02-22-2011, 12:01 AM

Thank you for your answer dear WingsToDiscovery.
The ramps and elevators for public transport are good news
The tight spaces in the shops can be a problem but on the other hand i can turn my wheelchair on a dime sort of speak.It's a sportwheelchair which is realy agile and small.
Mabye there are big malls that are easier accessable?
Stairs are a problem though...
Elevations i can handle , i'm a strong dude

The thing i have in mind is eating in the hotel if there are no accessable stores to grab a bite. (which i really hope there are...can't wait to try out the dilicious foods) , get out at night and see the clubs , see the parks and try to find the rockabilly/psychobilly scene.
Do you think i can get in the clubs or do they all have stairs?

I'm thinking to go on my own but on the other hand i know my friends want to come along.
It's more of a challange and much more exciting on my own though.
Hard to explaine what i mean i guess
It's something i always dreamt of and on your own you don't have to think for the other.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

02-22-2011, 12:53 AM

There are non-step bus available that are very convenient for you. Trains staff will go all the way to take you all the way to the door of the train. Basically they have a car where there is a special space for people in the wheelchair.

In the trains, they have a special ramp that they put at the door of the train so that u can use it . You can also inform the staff where you are heading so that somebody will be waiting at the end bringing the ramp.

I've seen a guy too without any aide from the train staff and basically other passengers gave him some space.

I don't think you will have any problem. Although if you can just avoid the rush hour in the morning .

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------

Last edited by samokan : 02-23-2011 at 12:19 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

02-22-2011, 05:31 AM

This website seems to provide fairly comprehensive information for wheelchair users traveling in Japan.

Accessible Japan Travel Guide for Wheelchair Users, Top page
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Dutchie (Offline)
New to JF

02-22-2011, 03:33 PM

Thank you for your responds Samokan.
I have to tell you it all sounds great.So no problem in the transport department then.

And thank you masaegu for the great link you provided.
This is a big help.

*edit* i just found an article saying the japanese are the shortest people as a nation....and me being Dutch as the tallest nation.
Thank god i'm in a wheelchair or else it would look really weird with me being almost 1,92 meters (6 feet 3 inch) tall hahaha. (1,92 meter isn't actualy tall over here)

Last edited by Dutchie : 02-22-2011 at 05:20 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-23-2011, 04:50 PM

One thing to consider... in smaller/more rural train stations, you might be let off right next to the station exit or you might be let off on a platform, with stairs either up or down to get to an overpass/underpass. The larger, more urban stations might have an elevator as well, but in my experience across the country, they were the exception, not the rule. Of course, I was there many years ago, so maybe they've installed more elevators since then.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan