JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

Heading back to Japan... - 02-24-2011, 02:44 PM

Hello again. It's been a long while since I posted here. Just busy with life I guess..

So this wonderful wife of mine and I are heading back to Japan to visit her parents and do the tourist thing again. It's been four years since my last trip so I'm kinda excited. My inlaws live in Hadano, about 45 miles south of Tokyo. I will be there March 16 to April 1st. My wife is staying for an extra week.

Here is a list of things we're planning to do so far. There is no particular order of preference..

1. Visit the Ghibli museum.
The official site of Ghibli Museum, Mitaka in Japan
2. Visit the Ramen Museum. (Miyako was told that the ramen here was great)
Shin-Yokohama Raumen Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
3. Visit Akihabara on a Sunday when the main street is closed.
Akihabara travel guide - Wikitravel
4. Check out various flea markets

We'll be here for 16 days. Some of those days will simply be filled hanging out with my In-Laws (they are incredibly nice people). However there is still a lot of time to do some great things.

I have had a life long interest in woodworking. Last time we came down I got to check out Japanese Marquetry in Hakone. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions on what to check out in relation to Japanese Woodworking. I am especially interested in furniture and joinery in general. I'll also be shopping for used handtools (chisels and planes) when visiting the flea markets. Any thoughts?

Another thing I want to check out is a Onsen. Preferably one that lets the wife and I enjoy it together. I hear there is a decent one in Hakone but anything else near Hadano would be great.

The last time we went together we also checked out the Emperors Palace, Odawara Castle, the temple in Asakusa, Akahabara (on a weekday), Yokahama, Ginza, Tokyo Disneyland, and Shinjuku. You can see photos from our last trip here: Japan Vacation 2007 - a set on Flickr

So any more recommendations? I would like to keep travel from Hadano to a minimum but we're willing to do over night trips if we can fit it into our budget.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions...

Last edited by SgtBeavis : 02-24-2011 at 02:48 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

02-25-2011, 01:24 AM

Not sure how far hadano from Izu .. but I also recommend Izu Peninsula.

if you love nature and coastal area , it is a very beautiful place.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

02-25-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
Not sure how far hadano from Izu .. but I also recommend Izu Peninsula.

if you love nature and coastal area , it is a very beautiful place.
It's not really that far. I'll check with the wife and see what she has to say..

anyone else have suggestions. Anything woodworking related would be greatly appreciated..

You don't have to say Tokyu Hands.. I'll be going there anyways. Its always been one of my favorite stores.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

02-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Well we checked out Izu and it looks very promising. We're definitely going..
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
02-26-2011, 05:21 PM

I remember visiting an Onsen Town that was famous for making Kokeshi (Japanese Wood dolls).

I found it in my webblog, klick here to see some pictures.
The place is called Naruko Onsen and is north of Sendai. Its not so close to Tokyo but with the Shinkansen you can be in Sendai really fast and if you spent a day in Senday seeing Matsushima as well it might be worth a trip.
For a nice relaxed Onsentown (even Naruko Onsen off course has lots of Onsen) i would recommend Akiu Onsen wich you can reach in less than 1 hour once you are in Sendai. Akiu Onsen is really out of the way and not so touristy as most places. I´m sure you can find a hotel there that offers a private bath or a mixed public bath.

You can also check for Ryokans in Naruko Onsen wich feature a private bath or a mixed one if you don´t have time to spent 1 day each.

I definetly recommend Matsushima bay if you can make it. I´ve travelled most of Japan and this was one of my Top 3 places and it is considered one of the Top 3 offilialy as well. Naruko Onsen was nice as well and would eventually be interesting for wood making (even its no furniture).

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

02-28-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBeavis View Post
Well we checked out Izu and it looks very promising. We're definitely going..
My friend also recommended Nishi -Izu , unfortunately traveling there can be a pain without a car, which I think you don't have a problem with .

So have fun in Izu. I wish to visit the west part come summer

My Japan Life

(#7 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

03-10-2011, 03:24 AM

So this is how our trip is looking so far. None of this is in order. I'm leaving it to my wife to set up the actual itinerary.

1. Going to the Ramen Museum.
2. Going to the Ghibli Museum.
3. Spending a day in Izu. Going to a private Onsen and checking out a furniture workshop.
4. Going to several flea markets around Tokyo (I'm looking for woodworking tools, my wife for other things).
5. Spending an evening at a Karaoke room with some old friends.
6. Going to Akihabara and Harajuku on a Sunday
7. Visiting my wife's relatives (duh)
8. Checking out Kamakura (other than the Amida Buddha... been there done that)
9. Visiting friends around Zama City
10. Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum
11. Some woodworking museum in Tokyo (I forgot the name)
12. Hanami time (with much beer)
13. Shopping.. Ginza, Shibuya, etc,....

It's starting to shape up to be a good trip. We bought some new luggage today. I bought a few new books for my Kindle (for the flight).

Wheels up on March 16th... I can't wait!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

03-10-2011, 07:02 AM

Wow next week already, have fun. Sakura is not starting but the Plums are prettily blooming.

Also you might like to check out Inokashira Park on a Sunday. If I'm not mistaken they have a flea market there and I saw some people with woodwork for sale ( although i went there saturday )
the place is also very nice for hanami its near Ghibli musuem by the way

My Japan Life

(#9 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

03-10-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
Wow next week already, have fun. Sakura is not starting but the Plums are prettily blooming.

Also you might like to check out Inokashira Park on a Sunday. If I'm not mistaken they have a flea market there and I saw some people with woodwork for sale ( although i went there saturday )
the place is also very nice for hanami its near Ghibli musuem by the way

Thanks for the heads up on that info. I'm hoping the cherry blossoms will be out on the 2nd week of my trip. I won't be flying back until April 1st.

Of course, with my luck they'll bloom on April 1st. It is April Fools Day after all..

I'll forward all that info to my wife and see what she thinks..
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

03-11-2011, 03:20 PM

I'm going to wait until Monday to make a decision, but it is looking like I'll be postponing our trip due to the Earthquakes.

Fortunately no one in my wife's family was hurt. My Sister-In-Law has no natural gas but has electricity and internet. My Mother and Father-in-law were shaken up but otherwise in good shape. They live down in Hadano and there was very little damage there.