JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Japan over-the-counter painkillers (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/3630-japan-over-counter-painkillers.html)

monkpalmer 04-11-2007 04:42 AM

Japan over-the-counter painkillers

I've got to spend some time in Japan, and I was just wondering:

1. Can you get ibuprofen and paracetamol (ie. Tylenol, common painkillers) over the counter?

2. If you can, then over which counter? Last time I was there I couldn't see anything that looked like a chemist. Maybe I was unlucky.

I know you can't take stuff with codeine in it into the country. Just like to know where you get the over-the-counter stuff.

Any help appreciated!

samokan 04-11-2007 04:51 AM

I got Bufferin and benza block S for my colds and headache. Basically known as the self medication medicine. Actually I got them not over the counter but on the shelf :D.

monkpalmer 04-11-2007 05:17 AM

Thanks!

But over what shelf? I mean, what kind of store. Like a supermarket, mini-mart kind of place?

Excuse my ignorance. Guess I just don't wander out among the shops enough.

samokan 04-11-2007 05:34 AM

you can buy them in convenience store or drug store. Most of the time I go to a store name "Power One" drug store. Its store which sells stuff from toiletries, make up, house items, medicine among others.

monkpalmer 04-11-2007 05:40 AM

Thank you samokan.

Now I know where to go crawling the morning after the next time I drink too much.

samokan 04-11-2007 05:47 AM

lol.. oh so that kind of sickness huh .. :D

they do have medicine for those who drink too much :D and eat to much, I saw them on TV but I have not had the experience of buying them.

jasonbvr 04-11-2007 06:28 AM

I heard about that medicine. I think it was called Self Control. There is this other brand too, Intelligence, that has all the same ingredients as Self Control but is more effective. Be forewarned though, Korean Soju will render each of these meds completely useless. In the event of severe Soju induced toxification, I suggest seeking The Toilet.

samokan 04-11-2007 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonbvr (Post 87837)
I heard about that medicine. I think it was called Self Control. There is this other brand too, Intelligence, that has all the same ingredients as Self Control but is more effective. Be forewarned though, Korean Soju will render each of these meds completely useless. In the event of severe Soju induced toxification, I suggest seeking The Toilet.

LOL :D nice one :cool:

monkpalmer 04-11-2007 07:48 AM

thanks, I certainly need Intelligence and sure could do with some Self-Control. Nice to know you can buy these at yr local store here.

As for The Toilet, afraid I know too much about that after last night.

Nyororin 04-11-2007 09:13 AM

I don`t know about other parts of Japan, but around here it`s against the law for convenience stores to carry any type of "medication". They had to fight for permission to carry vitamin supplements, but as far as I know they still aren`t able to carry actual medications.

So you may have to actually go to a drug store.