(#12 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-08-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXdeathnotexX View Post
How much would you reccomend, then?
What kind of things do you need to spend money on? GIve a list of things thats paid for and a list of things that you think are not paid for and will need moeny for and i can give you a rough idea

I am going to recommend to budget for $50 a day for food, another 20 a day for souvenir.. or if you have a list of people who you must get things for, then do a count.....

What about entrance fee? Like to temples and such? ANd what about additional transportation (Do you see yourself going off course from the school group to do your own exploration)

Any museum you want to visit?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
xXdeathnotexX (Offline)
New to JF

03-08-2011, 01:12 AM

Transportation, fees, and everything else is payed for. the absolute ONLY thing I need is souveniers and food.

It's just a class trip, and I'm not planning on eating in five-star restaraunts every day, just enough to keep me going throughout the day, and maybe a bit more in Osaka since it's the home of the wonderful food,

My dad, who has been to japan ( I have but dont remember it) Suggested that I get onigiris for breakfast, bentos for lunch, and see how much I have left and let that determine dinner, but yah, I would like a rough estimate from whoever can give one

:3

L: If you keep my secret, I'll give you this strawberry - Death note
(#14 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-08-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Transportation, fees, and everything else is payed for. the absolute ONLY thing I need is souveniers and food.

It's just a class trip, and I'm not planning on eating in five-star restaraunts every day, just enough to keep me going throughout the day, and maybe a bit more in Osaka since it's the home of the wonderful food,

My dad, who has been to japan ( I have but dont remember it) Suggested that I get onigiris for breakfast, bentos for lunch, and see how much I have left and let that determine dinner, but yah, I would like a rough estimate from whoever can give one

:3
Ok, if you really follow that, then yes, 30 a day may be enough for food. Souvenir, depends on how many people you need to get souvenir for, but I am going to say expect to spend anywhere between 5-15 for a typical sounvenir... and of course, all the little smaller cute things that you may want too..... so, prepare for about 40-50 a day won't go wrong...
(#15 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-08-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Good advice for "Japan on the cheap" from your dad.

On a tight budget you can do a quick but decent breakfast out of convenience stores easily for about 500-600 円. A simple but good ekiben or similar might only set you back about 1000 円 plus about 130 円 for a drink out of a vending machine. Plan on needing some extra drinks during the day out of vending machines on occasion, at about 130 円 a pop. Then you can allocate the rest of your budget money to a good dinner.

best,

....................john
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-08-2011, 09:25 PM

Ask your leader if you are staying in hotels that provide breakfast. I would be surprised if you are going to be literally eating out three meals a day.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Lunch sets are price fixed meals at restaurants almost everywhere running you about 800 and 900 yen, remember there is no tipping in Japan, it's a great way way of trying dozens of places.

McDonalds et all will run you the same price there as North America maybe a little more with the exchange rate.

I tended to focus on making lunch the big meal, breakfast I normally skip now and so it seems does most of Tokyo, the odd ones I had were around the 600 - 800 yen range.

As for dinner if you factor 2000 yen you should be good, you can do it cheaper or more expensive but I would say that's a safe number.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Toiim (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to Toiim
03-09-2011, 12:27 AM

FOOD IN JAPAN IS CHEAPER THAN YOU THINK.

I'm not even joking, I spent, like, ten dollars a day. I got breakfast from 7 Eleven, or a local supermarket. They heat the food up for you and everything.

There's this really good place in Shibuya that was like, 200 yen per dish. It was fantastic. It's under a bridge and then down a alley. If you know your basics it's easy to order. That was my favorite food the whole time I was there.

Food is cheaper than you think in Japan. In Harajuku, just go down alleys. Don't go with to main street restaurants. Shintaka street (I think) had some small restaurants, but they were HEAPS more expensive than the small places. I spent $15 a day tops on food. And I always ate out, except for breakfast.

Lollies are cheap too.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-09-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiim View Post

I'm not even joking, I spent, like, ten dollars a day. I got breakfast from 7 Eleven, or a local supermarket. They heat the food up for you and everything.

There's this really good place in Shibuya that was like, 200 yen per dish. It was fantastic. It's under a bridge and then down a alley. If you know your basics it's easy to order. That was my favorite food the whole time I was there.

Food is cheaper than you think in Japan. In Harajuku, just go down alleys. Don't go with to main street restaurants. Shintaka street (I think) had some small restaurants, but they were HEAPS more expensive than the small places. I spent $15 a day tops on food. And I always ate out, except for breakfast.

Lollies are cheap too.
No it's not, I could do New York on hot dog carts and cheap pizza slices and spend $15 a day but you miss the point and not to mention ... UGH !

For most of you Japan is going to be a once in a lifetime trip and as MMM has constantly stated "Why would you want to do it as a homeless/poor person ?"

This person is on a school trip and probably will not stumble across "It's under a bridge and then down an alley" places. Except every place I ate at was at a similar address.

I had a Big Mac in Tokyo because I wanted to taste a Big Mac in Tokyo, not because I could only afford 500 yen for food.

Combini food is better quality then your used to but it's still a crap meal when you think about it
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-09-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiim View Post

Lollies are cheap too.
Polar said it all, but I want to second his opinion. After two days of conbini lunches, you will be ready for something different. Yes, they heat your cup-of-noodles for you. How many days in a row do you want to eat 200yen meals that are 50 cents in America (but you provide the hot water and chopsticks)?

Last edited by MMM : 03-09-2011 at 10:46 PM.