JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-25-2011, 11:52 AM

The ground and sea water around Tokyo have no contanimation. The tap water is completely safe.

There is dangerous contanimation within a very limited area surrounding the reactors. People have been evacuated from this area.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-25-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
That is good to know guys!

but is this really true? I heard that the ocean and the groundwater is heavily contaminated still. Or is this already gone out of the water?

How did people wash themself, when the ground water was contaminated? I mean could you even take a shower then?

Also, is it really already safe again to drink out of the tap water as well?

All this goes for Tokyo of course.
Watch it here for yourself:

http://mextrad.blob.core.windows.net..._Tokyo_en.html

http://eq.wide.ad.jp/files_en/110424water_1300_en.pdf

Monitored data on environmental radiation levels in Tokyo

To understand it better...... look here:

http://eq.wide.ad.jp/files_en/110315whatsmsv_en.pdf

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

best,

.....................john
(#23 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-25-2011, 02:51 PM

Thanks guys really appreciate it!
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-25-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
but is this really true? I heard that the ocean and the groundwater is heavily contaminated still. Or is this already gone out of the water?
It may be - if you are hanging around in the direct vicinity of the plant. Of course, if you were, I think the contamination of the ground water would be one of the least of your concerns.

Quote:
How did people wash themself, when the ground water was contaminated? I mean could you even take a shower then?
They weren`t in the area that was contaminated. The area around the plant has been evacuated, and there doesn`t seem to be any significant contamination of ground water beyond it.

Quote:
Also, is it really already safe again to drink out of the tap water as well?
It was always safe to drink the tapwater... Unless you were an infant planning to drink nothing but it for a year straight. (Assuming that the levels didn`t drop at all during the year, which they did almost immediately.)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-25-2011, 05:48 PM

I caught a bit of news from Russia-- where they were discussing Chernobyl and the fact that their other replacement could be a danger-- so they are manufacturing a sort of Safety COVER

but they also think that the fukishuma situation is extremely serious and believe that TEPCO is not being honest or realistic with their predictions.
Please do not downplay the seriousness of the risk to the Japanese re radiation.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-25-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Please do not downplay the seriousness of the risk to the Japanese re radiation.
Please do not overestimate or fear monger about it either.
Unlike in the case of Chernobyl, the situation is being monitored by numerous entities. TEPCO is not the only group able to check radiation levels, and to monitor the situation. The government is not trying to keep it all a secret, and monitoring equipment is now cheap enough that pretty much anyone can buy it.

It is not downplaying at all to say that there is no danger to those in Tokyo, and that you`re not going to eat contaminated food unless you walk around picking things from the side of the road in the affected areas.

No one has said that there are not going to be lasting, serious issues for the immediate area around the plant. But the core was not burning in the open like Chernobyl, and did not create massive clouds of high radiation to rain down upon huge areas. That simply did not happen, however much the media would like to fear monger about things.

Please keep in mind that the foreign media loves to hype things and keep viewers watching... So have seriously stretched the facts, and have been using "what if" scenarios so far removed from reality that it is not even funny...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-26-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Please do not overestimate or fear monger about it either.
+1... for sure.

Multiple radiation monitoring sites on the web all seem to put the levels in similar orders of magnitude. That says that either there is a huge overarching conspiracy..... or likely the data is somewhat accurate.

Ops....what's that....... there is a big black SUV with dark tinted windows parked in front of my house....... hey..... wait a mintue... who are you? Wait!...... What ............