JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
philostyle (Offline)
JF Regular

Red face anyone who has rented an iPhone 4 SIM in Japan? - 04-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Hi all!

It's a long shot but I had just called my phone carrier regarding their roaming rates in Japan and it is quite BIG. Like US$5 a minute.

So anyway, I am now looking to rent either a phone or a sim card. I do have an iPhone 4 that is unlocked and I am thinking to use it still and rent a sim card over renting a phone. Has anyone experienced this? *hopeful*

I have read previous threads on phones but nobody has mentioned having used the iPhone 4 or renting an iPhone Sim Card with Feedback. I am just scared that my bill could rack up to huge $$$$ without my knowing. If I turned off or unabled the cellular data network switch, do you think my phone might still connect to the net? I only need the phone for calling or SMS.

Regardless, I still would rather get one myself in person in the airport than booking for one in advance online because I want to look at the phones still and see whether my iPhone will really work properly too. Are these sim cards readily available in Narita airport?

Thank you so much for reading my long thread. I am doing all the preparations as I am flying by myself. Thank you.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-07-2011, 09:25 PM

I'm afraid I can't add any first hand experience but I'm looking forward to the replies.

My 3G plan is nearing the end of its contract and I'm also thinking of buying an unlocked 4 so I can rent a sim card and use it in Japan.

Phones: Japanese SoftBank 3G SIM Card | SoftBank Global Rental

One way to avoid unnecessary roaming is to keep your phone in airplane mode or to disable 3G when don't need it. This way, it'll prevent any sort of roaming to take place - while helping you extend battery life.

I did that with my 3G during my last 2 visits and had no problems.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
philostyle (Offline)
JF Regular

04-08-2011, 04:26 AM

I emailed softbank and they are advising me to book for a rental simcard online to be sure that there is one for me when I get there... I wonder if I should go ahead and pay online..
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-08-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philostyle View Post
I emailed softbank and they are advising me to book for a rental simcard online to be sure that there is one for me when I get there... I wonder if I should go ahead and pay online..
Softbank is a very very big company, they will not scam you. The only worries you should have is vulnerability of online payment, it will not be any different from making a paypal transaction or purchasing something form amazon..
(#5 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-08-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philostyle View Post
Are you concerned about purchasing online in general?

There's a Softbank rental office at the arrival terminal at Narita but as they said, you run the risk of them running out of SIM cards if you don't reserve online.

If you reserve now, you'll also know your cell # prior to your arrival.

By the way, I did find some cheaper SIM rentals (via Google) but you can't go wrong with Softbank. After all, I believe they're the official Apple vendor for the Japanese market.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
philostyle (Offline)
JF Regular

04-08-2011, 03:54 PM

Not really about online purchasing that I'm worried about. I have purchased online in more than one occasion so I am comfortable with that..

More like, I want to be sure it works on my iphone first and also whether the phones they have in the airport may be better to rent (such as a no data capability one so that I wouldn't run the risk of racking up a huge bill when my iphone connects all of a sudden)

would they refund if it doesn't work? or maybe in case it doesn't can they deduct the amount I paid online and let me get a rental phone instead of the sim? i hear refunding isnt a customary practice in japan.

thanks so much godwine and spicytuna.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

04-08-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Softbank is a very very big company, they will not scam you. The only worries you should have is vulnerability of online payment, it will not be any different from making a paypal transaction or purchasing something form amazon..

Softbank is the worst provider i ever used. Range is so weak it is beyond irritating. It's a sdecond phone now i have with Softbank and it sucks sweaty donkey balls behind a rotten shed, on a very dungy and gloomy winter morning in northern Siberia. Iphone4 is not much better either. The issues with transferring pictures, itunes retarded functions and disabilities, windows compatibility iusses and other things are really irritating. It's a great concept, really great, but Apple messed it up. Not impressed tbh.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-08-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Softbank is the worst provider i ever used. Range is so weak it is beyond irritating. It's a sdecond phone now i have with Softbank and it sucks sweaty donkey balls behind a rotten shed, on a very dungy and gloomy winter morning in northern Siberia. Iphone4 is not much better either. The issues with transferring pictures, itunes retarded functions and disabilities, windows compatibility iusses and other things are really irritating. It's a great concept, really great, but Apple messed it up. Not impressed tbh.
You may want to read my post again. I didn't comment on whether they are reliable or if signal strength was a concern. I was simply saying that she doesn't have to worry about doing an online purchase with Softbank as a company.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

04-08-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
You may want to read my post again. I didn't comment on whether they are reliable or if signal strength was a concern. I was simply saying that she doesn't have to worry about doing an online purchase with Softbank as a company.
I didnt read it, i saw Softbank and that was it lol.