LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-18-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monorella View Post
Yeah, the tickets I found were in the 1300-1500 range. Now the only major problem we have is lodging, which just happens to be the most important. I did a bit of searching, and hostels seem to be a good choice, but most don't offer stays that long. Are there any cheaper ones anyone can suggest? Maybe a longer month or two stay is just something I need to email them directly about. If not, then staying at multiple ones over the course of one or two months is always an option.
i highly recommend looking on one of those sites that lets you bundle airfare and lodging (orbitz, priceline, etc.)

usually when you bundle everything you get a pretty big discount. plus you can search for the cheapest hotel options.

admittedly, the way i mentioned is the only way i've ever booked flights and such, but if you're like me and you don't want to have to pick through tons of listings, then hit up orbitz or something like that. you gotta love easy

(#12 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-18-2011, 04:38 AM

For the accommodation part of your question, I believe one of the cheapest, if not cheapest place to stay in Tokyo is a chain of backpackers hostels called 'Khaosan Tokyo.'

The rooms are the tiniest things you can imagine, literally the bed, a space to put your suitcase, and that's it. All facilities including toilets and showers are shared.

But it does have many good points, like free internet access, free baggage keeping etc. And of course, the price.

Rooms vary from shared dorms if you don't mind being in a room with strangers, or private rooms (I think you only have the options of 'double' or 'twin' bed rooms though, but I'm not sure) if you prefer privacy.

Price example: For a private, twin bed room (it's a bunk bed), it only costs 2500 Yen per person per night

To look up specific Khaosan branch options, and prices for other types of rooms that may suit you better, this is their website:

khaosan Tokyo Guest House ::Backpackers Hostel in Tokyo, Kyoto, Fukuoka, Beppu::

(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-18-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Also keep in mind that people are considered adults at 20,not 18, so there are going to be some places the young members may not be able to get into.
I was just going to point this out myself. 18 is not an adult in Japan. 18 is something like 15 or 16 in the US in terms of how people are treated. If you`re unlucky, you might not even be able to get a room without a guardian. A family friend couldn`t get a long-stay room (3 weeks) at 19 without me co-signing for them.

Nightlife might let you slide because you`re not Japanese, but chances are it will be 20+ so those below 20 will have to do something else.

As for room recommendations - for a long term stay in one area I always recommend LeoPalace21. It is basically like renting a small apartment, and they will rent you extra beds so you can usually have 4 people per room... At 50,000/month for a room, it comes out to a very low price per person.

But limiting yourself to Tokyo seems like such a waste. If you want to see non-touristy things off the beaten track (and spend a lot less money...) try another city.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Monorella (Offline)
New to JF

04-18-2011, 06:38 AM

Whoops, I took into account our ages now, not in a year. Depending on what month we go, I think everyone should be 20 by then, but that does help in case we get another who wants to go, but is only 18 or 19.
Quote:
Just curious, why such the long stay? It sounds like you are on a limited budget, so why not go for three weeks and be able to spurge a little, rather than live like a poor person. There are lots of things to explore in Tokyo, but especially for non-speakers, you are likely to run out of things to do after a week or two.
No real reason, it's just that none of us have ever been out of the country before, and this might be the one time we get to so we just wanted to make it count, but when you put it like that, maybe just one month is a better idea. The reason for the frugal living is just because we'd like to save as much money as we can lol, at least to spend on having fun, since a decent amount will end up going towards the ticket and lodging.

@Nyororin Thanks, I'm checking out the LeoPalace21 website, and it looks right up our alley, except I'm noooot quite sure on how getting a room for just a month or two works, this seems to be for longer stays. Over the course of this next year, we'll probably think of more things we'd like to see, but we'd like our "home base" for the trip to be Tokyo.

I'm not sure on the price of real hotels in Tokyo, but if it's anything like the hotels here, I don't think we'd have near enough to spend on a month's worth of hotel rooms.

Last edited by Monorella : 04-18-2011 at 08:02 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-18-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monorella View Post
No real reason, it's just that none of us have ever been out of the country before, and this might be the one time we get to so we just wanted to make it count, but when you put it like that, maybe just one month is a better idea. The reason for the frugal living is just because we'd like to save as much money as we can lol, at least to spend on having fun, since a decent amount will end up going towards the ticket and lodging.
I have seen people here, and in my own personal experience go through this. The thing is, without a language base and a pretty full schedule bad things can start to happen after a couple weeks. That tiny room you are sharing can get REALLY damn small, especially if your roomie snores, farts, etc. in his sleep. Easy to put up with for a week or two, but nerves start to get frayed after that. I know two inseparable friends that thought spending two months touring Japan together was the best idea in the world. They have not spoken since that trip. Every annoying habit, from playing drums with chopsticks to whistling as they walk is magnified 100 times when in such a foreign situation. "What do you wanna do today?" is going to become a mantra of frustrations, and compound that with the hot and humid summers, which I assume is the time you would go.

Time your trip so you leave Japan wanting more, not wanting to get out.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Monorella (Offline)
New to JF

04-18-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I have seen people here, and in my own personal experience go through this. The thing is, without a language base and a pretty full schedule bad things can start to happen after a couple weeks. That tiny room you are sharing can get REALLY damn small, especially if your roomie snores, farts, etc. in his sleep. Easy to put up with for a week or two, but nerves start to get frayed after that. I know two inseparable friends that thought spending two months touring Japan together was the best idea in the world. They have not spoken since that trip. Every annoying habit, from playing drums with chopsticks to whistling as they walk is magnified 100 times when in such a foreign situation. "What do you wanna do today?" is going to become a mantra of frustrations, and compound that with the hot and humid summers, which I assume is the time you would go.

Time your trip so you leave Japan wanting more, not wanting to get out.
I can somewhat understand this, I've had one of the guys going with me live with my parents and I for a couple months after some family problems he was having, and it definitely wasn't what we had in mind during our middle school talks about all moving in together when we got older lol. We're a fairly tight knit group, but those are still some things I'll keep in mind. We'll plan some things, but for now we're just getting the necessities out of the way.