JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
callagga (Offline)
New to JF

do I need to learn Japanese in this case... - 10-28-2010, 05:53 AM

do I need to learn Japanese in this case...

* some time in Tokyo
* some time skiing in Japan (not sure which resort)
* some time spent driving around the Japanese mountains, say around the general area where skiing is

In general would it be highly advisable to learn some Japanese in this case? Or like would outside of Tokyo would a lot of people still understand some English?

thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-28-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callagga View Post
do I need to learn Japanese in this case...

* some time in Tokyo
* some time skiing in Japan (not sure which resort)
* some time spent driving around the Japanese mountains, say around the general area where skiing is

In general would it be highly advisable to learn some Japanese in this case? Or like would outside of Tokyo would a lot of people still understand some English?

thanks
I've been to Italy, Germany, France, even an African country without knowing any of their languages and it was fun. It would have been more fun if I knew the languages, or was it? Actually, I took French in college and tried it in France. Apparently my "C'est combien?" went through but I had no idea what they said back to me. So I stopped using it. It was fun regardless though.

You wouldn't NEED Japanese for staying there for 2-3 weeks, but it would definitely be more fun if you know the language, methinks.

Last edited by cranks : 10-28-2010 at 06:29 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
callagga (Offline)
New to JF

10-28-2010, 07:11 AM

So outside of the big cities in Japan, do you think people here would typically know less English than say if you were in France outside of the big cities?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

10-28-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
So outside of the big cities in Japan, do you think people here would typically know less English than say if you were in France outside of the big cities?
You cannot compare Japan with other European countries, the percent of English speaking folks is just not the same. Most European countries made their tourist hot spot as tourist friendly as possible, also there is the fact that being Europe, most of the population is educated in English enough to communicate. While there are enough people who have knowledge to the English language in Japan, very few actually felt comfortable enough to use it. Japan is definitely a tourist friendly country, but it just doesn't have enough English speaking folks around.

It will not harm to learn a few simple phrase.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-28-2010, 06:44 PM

Unlike some countries in Europe, where you can count on the English ability of strangers to get you where you need to go, you cannot count of the English ability of strangers to get you where you want to go in Japan.

I ran into a foreigner in Tokyo earlier this year. He was trying to get to the American embassy. He was amazed that the train station staff did not speak English and had spent (according to him) 90 minutes asking strangers "Where is the American Embassy". He was only a couple blocks away, but since he didn't have a dictionary and hadn't looked up the word "taishikan" (embassy) he might as well have been on a life raft in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Every word you can learn will make your trip that much easier.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
callagga (Offline)
New to JF

10-28-2010, 09:29 PM

interesting story re Tokyo

One thing I find in some European tourist areas is, whilst you've spend hours trying to learn some of the language before you go, when you actually get there they often (being in the tourist area) swap to English to speed the conversation. So you kind of get the depressed feeling (on these occasions) you've tried to learn the language for nothing

Sounds like this won't be too frequently the case in Japan than?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
nicolelord2 (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2011, 07:57 AM

You can't compare the Japan with Europe. Japan is japan........
(#8 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

04-05-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
interesting story re Tokyo

One thing I find in some European tourist areas is, whilst you've spend hours trying to learn some of the language before you go, when you actually get there they often (being in the tourist area) swap to English to speed the conversation. So you kind of get the depressed feeling (on these occasions) you've tried to learn the language for nothing

Sounds like this won't be too frequently the case in Japan than?
That you tried to use their language in the first place will usually get you much much much better service or help than had you just been like "excuse me, English ok?"

I came to Japan knowing no Japanese, at all. I did just fine, lots of people had no English speaking ability or were far too shy to even attempt remembering their high school lessons. That said, what do you really need any language for as a tourist?? give money, take item, get change, salute.
instead of "where is (place name)?" just say (placename)? with the question intonation and then watch where they point while not understanding the words lol

Survival Japanese does make the whole trip a lot more enjoyable!

Here is a list of stuff that I wish I had known before coming!
Some Tips for Travelers to Japan

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.

Last edited by RealJames : 04-05-2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: add link
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ahm12ed34 (Offline)
New to JF

04-11-2011, 08:44 AM

If i just off with mere English Language slipping from my tongue, than i think it will become much more difficult to Travel through JAPAn.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

04-11-2011, 09:19 AM

i'd say you don't need to learn any Japanese. My friend was coming over for a month to Japan, I showed her around Tokyo a bit and then she took off on her own south, as far as Kyushu, and had no problem with anything whatsoeve, knowing no words in Japanese. She is travelling heaps all over the world, even though her English is weak (basic communication). If you have an outgoing nature you'll get around with no issues. Japan has changed a lot, and more people can speak English. It's messy and broken but better than nothing. Also, many road signs, stations (well unless somewhere in sticks) are in English, too. Restaurants have menues with pictures, or little displayes outside with plastic food, so buying a meal is not that copmplicated either, if you have a finger to point out what you want.