JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Himeji, Kyoto and Nara - 04-19-2011, 09:31 AM

Spent the last week down south doing a bit of a tour of the castles, temples and shrines in Himeji, Kyoto and Nara. Not an extensive and exhaustive tour by any means but that is pretty hard to do with a 2 yo who needs her afternoon nap each day!

We arrived late in the evening in Kobe and stayed in a nearby hotel. Next morning we had intended to just go strainght to Kyoto but decided to make the short trip down to the Himeji Castle. Unfortunately the main keep of the castle is currently being restored and was completely covered in scaffolding and nettting but the gardens and surrounds were still very beautiful and it was nice and warm (well at least for us northerners. The locals still seemed to think it was pretty cool). We also got to see some sakura almost at their peak.

We hopped back on the train and then headed into Kyoto. I must admit to personally having done very little research for this trip (my wife organised it all) and Kyoto wasn't really what I had envisaged. I was expecting something like what I now know Nara to be, a reasonably small town with lots of temples and shrines set amidst forests. Kyoto is actually a rather large and bustling city and the temples and shrines are fairly spaced apart around the city. It would be good on a bike but with a 2 year old this wasn't really an option for us. As I don't really like big cities I was a little dissappointed even though the temples were quite spectacular.

After a couple of days in Kyoto we then jumped back on the train to Nara. Now this was exactly the sort of place I was hoping to see. Spectacular temples and shrines set in a beautiful forest and parklands with a very nice little town/city which although quite touristy was at least a lot quieter than Kyoto. We had a day and a half in Nara but I could have spent much longer.

Overall it was a great trip. After nearly 8 years in Japan I had seen very little of the country beyond Hokkaido.

To the pictures which I'll break into each area in separate posts because of the pic limit per post.

Himeji Castle area

Our little girl love the ramen!

Last edited by GoNative : 04-19-2011 at 05:42 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

04-19-2011, 09:57 AM

Kyoto area

(#3 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

04-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Nara Area

(#4 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-19-2011, 01:23 PM

THANKS! Wonderful images.

I was thinking of getting to Himeji in June (never stopped there yet), but was thinking to save it for the future since they are doing the restoration work. But the images are making me maybe reconsider for a quick stopover on the way to Kyoto.

Thanks for posting.

best,

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
04-19-2011, 02:17 PM

:envy:

Beautiful photos though,
thank you for sharing them with us!

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-19-2011, 02:23 PM

Wow great photos. Those are honestly three of my favorite cities in Japan. At least out of the ones I visited. They seem to have the right amount of history but also have other, more modern things to do. Its a good combination.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-20-2011, 03:29 AM

If you want "spectacular temples and shrines set in a beautiful forest and parklands with a very nice little town". you definitely need to go see Koya-san, if you've never been there. It's just what you are looking for.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-20-2011, 05:46 AM

What kind of camera are you using? Those pictures look great!

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

04-20-2011, 06:27 AM

Just a point and shoot Casio Exilim 14.1 megapixel. Cost less than $400. It does take a pretty good pic.
I did a little altering exposure and colour in the Picnik program on Flickr.

Last edited by GoNative : 04-20-2011 at 06:29 AM.