JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Things to do in Koto? - 04-24-2011, 06:39 PM

I'll be staying in Koto, Tokyo for 9 days.
What are some things to do/see nearby while I figure out/get used to riding the train?

(#2 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-24-2011, 06:41 PM

when do you go?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-24-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
when do you go?
I'll be there May 23-31.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-24-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
I'll be staying in Koto, Tokyo for 9 days.
What are some things to do/see nearby while I figure out/get used to riding the train?
It appears that Koto-ku is predominantly residential and doesn't offer much for entertainment. It's close enough, however, to Chuo and Taito wards, where much of the shopping and entertainment can be found. Chuo ward is directly west and contains Ginza, while Taito ward has Akihabara, Ueno and Asakusa.

I have heard people and some travel books say that the transport system is very difficult to navigate. Perhaps they were born in one-line subway cities. It's not hard at all to figure out. You can learn that quickly and then Tokyo is your town.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-24-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
It appears that Koto-ku is predominantly residential and doesn't offer much for entertainment. It's close enough, however, to Chuo and Taito wards, where much of the shopping and entertainment can be found. Chuo ward is directly west and contains Ginza, while Taito ward has Akihabara, Ueno and Asakusa.

I have heard people and some travel books say that the transport system is very difficult to navigate. Perhaps they were born in one-line subway cities. It's not hard at all to figure out. You can learn that quickly and then Tokyo is your town.
Thanks John. I guess I'll just have to man up and brave the train. I never had any problems with the subway in NYC, and I hear that the subways there are much more difficult to understand than Tokyo's subway. I'm mainly afraid of missing my stop due to the supposedly incomprehensible English voice that plays over the loudspeakers. Oh well, gotta learn sometime

(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-24-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks John. I guess I'll just have to man up and brave the train. I never had any problems with the subway in NYC, and I hear that the subways there are much more difficult to understand than Tokyo's subway. I'm mainly afraid of missing my stop due to the supposedly incomprehensible English voice that plays over the loudspeakers. Oh well, gotta learn sometime
No train=No life in Tokyo. It couldn't be easier. Many of the trains have animated screens in English and Japanese telling you the next stop and showing the map. Children ride alone every day. It's only intimidating because you haven't done it yet. Two rides later you'll be an expert.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-24-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I'm mainly afraid of missing my stop due to the supposedly incomprehensible English voice that plays over the loudspeakers.
The Englsih is perfectly clear....... no japanese accent on the pre-recorded ones.

These days navigating in Tokyo on trains and subways is a piece of cake even if you don;t speak any Japanese. It used to be much harder many years ago... but that has changed dramatically. Maybe you were reading older guides?

best,

..................john
(#8 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-24-2011, 07:39 PM

Thanks guys. Are the animated screens and perfect English voices just on the JR trains? It looks like I'm going to have to take some other private line from Koto into mainland Tokyo, and I'm wondering if the features ya'll described will be present. Or am I just worrying too much?

(#9 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-24-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. Are the animated screens and perfect English voices just on the JR trains? It looks like I'm going to have to take some other private line from Koto into mainland Tokyo, and I'm wondering if the features ya'll described will be present. Or am I just worrying too much?
The Tozai line seems to run across Koto-ku. Once you hit "mainland Tokyo" (I guess you mean across the river!), you can transfer to the Maronouchi Line at Otemachi, etc....

I think all trains systems were upgraded for the 2002 World Cup and all the lines I took in 2005 and 2010 had a female voice announcing the upcoming station in perfect English. I had absolutely no problems and never got lost. The only slight hitch was traveling from Mitaka (Ghibli Museum) to Hongosanchome (Tokyo University) and transferring from the JR Chuo line to the Maronouchi at Ochanomizu. The JR line station is on the south side of the river, above ground and you have to cross the river and take the subway station on the north side of the river. It was a pleasant surprise to be able to run into this bridge, where I saw many photographers snapping away at the same scene I'd seen on the internet.

I never took the Tozai line, so I can't be sure about its ease of use language-wise. Apart from that minor hiccup, and I mean MINOR, I've never run into any difficulties with Tokyo transport. MMM was correct in adding that any apprehension you may have about the system is due to you not having ridden it. As he said, that will all go away the minute you get there. And once you take your first ride and see how simple it is, you will own the city....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 04-24-2011 at 08:56 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-24-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
The Tozai line seems to run across Koto-ku. Once you hit "mainland Tokyo" (I guess you mean across the river!), you can transfer to the Maronouchi Line at Otemachi, etc....

I think all trains systems were upgraded for the 2002 World Cup and all the lines I took in 2005 and 2010 had a female voice announcing the upcoming station in perfect English. I had absolutely no problems and never got lost. The only slight hitch was traveling from Mitaka (Ghibli Museum) to Hongosanchome (Tokyo University) and transferring from the JR Chuo line to the Maronouchi at Ochanomizu. The JR line station is on the south side of the river, above ground and you have to cross the river and take the subway station on the north side of the river. It was a pleasant surprise to be able to run into this bridge, where I saw many photographers snapping away at the same scene I'd seen on the internet.

Apart from that minor hiccup, and I mean MINOR, I've never run into any difficulties with Tokyo transport. MMM was correcting in adding that any apprehension you may have about the system is due to you not having ridden it. As he said, that will all go away the minute you get there. And once you take your first ride and see how simple it is, you will own the city....
Ahhhhh.. <-- sigh of relief
I plan on going to the Ghibli Museum, but it looks like you have to make reservations.. :/