JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Nomihodai clubs/types of alcohol - 05-02-2011, 05:45 PM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows what kinds of drinks are normally served in dance/gaijin/young people clubs in Japan, thinking Osaka and/or Tokyo central areas.
I know they can be a bit crowded and smoky, perhaps a little cattle market like, but still think they might be a good experience as I like clubbing in the U.K.

Looking at places like this
Pure Osaka

which I noticed is nomihodai, and from the sponsors seems to have energy drink/beer etc.

I wondered what other kinds of drinks these places usually have, especially girly drinks, would there be say vodka/bacardi/rum+mixer, anything like an alcopop, or even white wine?

Aside from nomihodai clubs, what are drinks like in other clubs? I found a few links to cocktail bars which look delicious, but also like a whole nights budget would be blown in two drinks!

Thanks!

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-02-2011, 08:01 PM

In my experience "nomihodai" tends to be beer and chuhai, which is something like a wine cooler. I would not count in mixed drinks or wine with the nomihodai option, nor would I count on the nomihodai being a particularly good deal.

Outside of nomihodai, it really depends on the club. Mixed drinks tend tend to be weak at "gaijin bars" and those sorts of clubs. You are right, nicer places with name-brand alcohol tend to be more expensive.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-02-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
In my experience "nomihodai" tends to be beer and chuhai, which is something like a wine cooler. I would not count in mixed drinks or wine with the nomihodai option, nor would I count on the nomihodai being a particularly good deal.

Outside of nomihodai, it really depends on the club. Mixed drinks tend tend to be weak at "gaijin bars" and those sorts of clubs. You are right, nicer places with name-brand alcohol tend to be more expensive.
Thanks for the info MMM, I have never had a wine cooler, I guess it is like a spritzer?

It did seem a good deal if it really was all drinks, but now this makes more sense

You say the mixed drinks are weak, is there not a standardised, regulated amount for a single/double?

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-02-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmarisa View Post
Thanks for the info MMM, I have never had a wine cooler, I guess it is like a spritzer?
To me, it's sorta like a weak sangria, but a bit less fruity and more fizzy....
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:

It did seem a good deal if it really was all drinks, but now this makes more sense

You say the mixed drinks are weak, is there not a standardised, regulated amount for a single/double?
In cheaper clubs and gaijin bars they do whatever they can to save a little money here and there.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-02-2011, 09:54 PM

So I'm assuming it's the end of the WKD? I knew this day would come!
What about Smirnoff Ice?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-02-2011, 10:41 PM

Club PURE has all kinds of drinks. The mixed drinks tend to use cheap liquor though. But you can't beat it for a great time.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-02-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows what kinds of drinks are normally served in dance/gaijin/young people clubs in Japan, thinking Osaka and/or Tokyo central areas.
I know they can be a bit crowded and smoky, perhaps a little cattle market like, but still think they might be a good experience as I like clubbing in the U.K.

Looking at places like this
Pure Osaka

which I noticed is nomihodai, and from the sponsors seems to have energy drink/beer etc.

I wondered what other kinds of drinks these places usually have, especially girly drinks, would there be say vodka/bacardi/rum+mixer, anything like an alcopop, or even white wine?

Aside from nomihodai clubs, what are drinks like in other clubs? I found a few links to cocktail bars which look delicious, but also like a whole nights budget would be blown in two drinks!

Thanks!
Most of the clubs I have been to are only nomihoudai on certain nights, most of the time I find you pay a cover charge and get anywhere from like 1 to 6 "free drink" tickets (although you basically paid for them with the cover), and a decent club will make you whatever you want. Bars and restaurants that offer nomihoudai usually have a set list of drinks and the standard usually has beer, whiskey, shocho mixes, and certain cocktails, for me I only drink beer, so I cannot really tell you what I think of the cocktail quality at most places.

Also to get the nomihoudai deal at a lot of places you need 3-4 people or more, and many times it must be coupled with the selection of a certain course that everyone will pay a set price for, ranging from I usually find 2500 yen to 5000 yen at most places (which includes the price for a 2 hour nomihoudai). It can be a real steal sometimes I think (if you can drink a lot).