JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Named Pasmo Card - 08-24-2011, 06:15 PM

I was wondering if there is any additional charge slapped on the purchase of a Named Pasmo Card? Unless the automated machines can handle katakana, I know I'll have to go to a Pass Office for that, since I'll have to produce my passport so they know which name to attach to the card. I've never purchased a SUICA or Pasmo card in the times I've been there since I used my JR Pass or walked it. But this time I want to add more money to it for the ability to use the pass other than for transportation purposes. I'd like to have it "personalized" in case I lose it or at the very least, to have a different souvenir. I understand I'll lose the deposit on the card by not returning it. I was just curious if anyone has done this purchase before or knows what's involved.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

08-25-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
I was wondering if there is any additional charge slapped on the purchase of a Named Pasmo Card? Unless the automated machines can handle katakana, I know I'll have to go to a Pass Office for that, since I'll have to produce my passport so they know which name to attach to the card. I've never purchased a SUICA or Pasmo card in the times I've been there since I used my JR Pass or walked it. But this time I want to add more money to it for the ability to use the pass other than for transportation purposes. I'd like to have it "personalized" in case I lose it or at the very least, to have a different souvenir. I understand I'll lose the deposit on the card by not returning it. I was just curious if anyone has done this purchase before or knows what's involved.
As far as I remember there's no charge to get your name on your Suica if you don't already have one. If you buy a new one for like 1,000 (500 fee and 500 deposit) then you can go through the process and get a new Suica card, and they should ask you for your name. Mine actually has my name on it in English because I wasn't paying attention to what the machine was going to do so I wrote in English and that's what the machine printed lol.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
As far as I remember there's no charge to get your name on your Suica if you don't already have one. If you buy a new one for like 1,000 (500 fee and 500 deposit) then you can go through the process and get a new Suica card, and they should ask you for your name. Mine actually has my name on it in English because I wasn't paying attention to what the machine was going to do so I wrote in English and that's what the machine printed lol.
Thanks for the reply. So, what I gather from your answer is that the automated machines allow you to buy one with a foreign name?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

08-25-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. So, what I gather from your answer is that the automated machines allow you to buy one with a foreign name?
Yeah, you can get one with kanji, katakana, or English/romaji.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-25-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you can get one with kanji, katakana, or English/romaji.
I was under the impression you had to "register" the card. That way, if it were to be lost, it could be cancelled and a new one issued. But if one can buy a named one wherever, and it's lost, how can they replace it? It's more of a rhetorical question-I don't expect you to know the answer.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I just have to figure out what my name is in katakana, and that's not too difficult.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

08-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression you had to "register" the card. That way, if it were to be lost, it could be cancelled and a new one issued. But if one can buy a named one wherever, and it's lost, how can they replace it? It's more of a rhetorical question-I don't expect you to know the answer.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I just have to figure out what my name is in katakana, and that's not too difficult.
No, as far as I know having a name on your card is for your own safekeeping, I assume in the event you lose it and if it has something like 10,000 on it you can prove that it's actually yours. In fact, I have many friends (Japanese) who don't have their names on them. I guess they just didn't care to do it when the machine asked them to. But yeah, there's nothing official about having your name on your Suica, unless; see below.
If you lose your card, and you don't have your name on it, I guess that's just it.

I think the only REAL registration you can do for a Suica is if you have it set up as a commuter pass for your work or school, in which you can fill out paperwork and they print your designated route on the Suica card, and they may be able to pull up your name if you lose it. But if you're just a tourist or something without the commuter pass Suica, I don't think there's any way to track it.

Last edited by WingsToDiscovery : 08-25-2011 at 12:05 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
No, as far as I know having a name on your card is for your own safekeeping, I assume in the event you lose it and if it has something like 10,000 on it you can prove that it's actually yours. In fact, I have many friends (Japanese) who don't have their names on them. I guess they just didn't care to do it when the machine asked them to. But yeah, there's nothing official about having your name on your Suica, unless; see below.
If you lose your card, and you don't have your name on it, I guess that's just it.

I think the only REAL registration you can do for a Suica is if you have it set up as a commuter pass for your work or school, in which you can fill out paperwork and they print your designated route on the Suica card, and they may be able to pull up your name if you lose it. But if you're just a tourist or something without the commuter pass Suica, I don't think there's any way to track it.
Gotcha, thanks!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-26-2011, 02:52 AM

most people who have name on their pasmo or suica cards are the ones who used it for monthly pass. It even has its own security number if you want to change the current information on it.

The name on my pasmo is in katakana, very long . It even has my telephone number just in case I lost it.

My ICOCA card does not have any name on it. I usually just charged it when I use it so name is not that important

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
09-17-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:

I had a montly pass with pasmo but i think to remember i registered it on the machine. I put my name in english and my phone number.
When you lose it you can issue a new one and even the money left on the card will be reissued. I got my Suica with a route and name registered stolen with my wallet and i could just get it back from the office. I had to show my passport and thats it. Even the 2000 yen i had left on it besides the monthly route was restored.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)