LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
Proper Gift for Family Taking Care of Me? - 07-18-2011, 05:53 PM

Yeah, I am veryyyyy late. I leave this friday evening. I know
But I still have not found something that I think is a perfect thing to give the family taking care of me during my three week stay in Japan. (I asked the oldest son for advice, and even he was not sure...gah. Thanks Rei.)
I was planning individual, since Mom, Rei, and his two younger birthdays are ALLL this month...but my budget cannot handle it. (And I do not want Dad left out.)

The suggestions I got were
Something unique to use in Kitchen
Coffee
Team Jerseys from America

Anything else? I want it to be good enough that I do not seem cheap and such. :\ I respect the family a whole lot, they were very kind to me while I was dating Rei when I was younger, and they went through a lot with the middle son and his accident and subsequent paralyzation...

I think I am stressing too much about this, but I want it to be good...

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Don't give four gifts, even if there are four in the family you want to gift. Four and nine are considered unlucky. But since you didn't want to leave the father out, then nevermind!

Practical gifts are better than decorative. Perhaps a nice set of glass coasters? Or perhaps snacks from home that you know aren't available there. It's good to give something to be enjoyed by everyone but then not had to be stored or put away, since space may be at a premium. Nuts or dried fruits? I don't know how much Japanese people are into cheese, but maybe a cheese "set" or whatever it's called?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)

07-19-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Don't give four gifts, even if there are four in the family you want to gift. Four and nine are considered unlucky. But since you didn't want to leave the father out, then nevermind!

Practical gifts are better than decorative. Perhaps a nice set of glass coasters? Or perhaps snacks from home that you know aren't available there. It's good to give something to be enjoyed by everyone but then not had to be stored or put away, since space may be at a premium. Nuts or dried fruits? I don't know how much Japanese people are into cheese, but maybe a cheese "set" or whatever it's called?
Yeah, I knew about the number bit xD Another reason not leave Dad out.
Coasters...hmmm I like that Idea. Dried fruits seems good too, I hope they are not picky eaters.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-19-2011, 01:58 AM

Ideally if you take the traditional route it would be something from your hometown, something unique to it. Not so much as a gift for gift's sake.

i.e. As I'm in Canada something like maple syrup would suffice as a component.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

07-20-2011, 08:15 AM

try something organic cookies, little sweet things.. something locally produce in your country ..

give it as a gift to the family .. and wrap in something presentable.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#6 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-20-2011, 08:48 PM

I'm not sure which part of California you are from but remember a lot of people have interest in things from your home state! Go to a local Farmer's Market and find something tasty. Wine, olive oil, olives, nuts, chocolates, honey, hot sauce, salsa, dried fruits - anything local. Even something with imagery of California could be nice.
Let me know what area you are form and I could help more.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)

07-20-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
I'm not sure which part of California you are from but remember a lot of people have interest in things from your home state! Go to a local Farmer's Market and find something tasty. Wine, olive oil, olives, nuts, chocolates, honey, hot sauce, salsa, dried fruits - anything local. Even something with imagery of California could be nice.
Let me know what area you are form and I could help more.
Fresno, california

(#8 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-21-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
Fresno, california
Oh that's perfect, then you at the epicenter of amazing things grown in CA! For sure think about honey, nuts (almonds, pistachios), jam or artisan chocolates. Those are all things a whole family can enjoy. You could get a wine or coffee beans for the adults and something sweet for all to share.

If you from way up north or the desert I'd have to rethink that.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-21-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Oh that's perfect, then you at the epicenter of amazing things grown in CA! For sure think about honey, nuts (almonds, pistachios), jam or artisan chocolates. Those are all things a whole family can enjoy. You could get a wine or coffee beans for the adults and something sweet for all to share.

If you from way up north or the desert I'd have to rethink that.
Actually something really nice is nuts and dried fruit IN honey. Doesn't need to be expensive honey either and you can do it at home- the fruit flavours it, it looks very fancy in a nice jar with a covered lid and it is gorgeous spooned on yoghurt for like a pudding.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)

07-21-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Actually something really nice is nuts and dried fruit IN honey. Doesn't need to be expensive honey either and you can do it at home- the fruit flavours it, it looks very fancy in a nice jar with a covered lid and it is gorgeous spooned on yoghurt for like a pudding.
Hm...I am looking where I can buy that in my town now. When I was younger there was a store famous for dried fruits and nuts and now...I do not know what happened to it..../sadface