JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

Must See in Hokkaido - 06-08-2011, 07:01 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm going to start planning my return trip to Japan pretty soon, and this time I would love to visit Hokkaido for at least part of the trip (maybe around one week?)

I can look online to find attractions, but I thought I would ask the people who have actually been there before for recommendations of places I should go. Historical sights are the most important for me, but I also enjoy some time in cities with fun shopping areas, etc etc.

I will be going during the summer by the way. Any suggestions?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Versa (Offline)
New to JF

06-08-2011, 09:49 PM

Not really a suggestion but when are you going to Japan? I am also planning to go to Hokkaido this summer
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

06-09-2011, 04:10 AM

Sometime next summer, maybe around July.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

06-09-2011, 04:39 AM

I like Otaru for its old, port town kind of ambience. The Sea of Japan side of Japan feels almost like a different country than the Pacific Ocean side. Sapporo is okay but it is just another big city IMHO. I also like the Tomamu Resort though it is a little pricey. Been to Tomamu twice for skiing but it is somewhere I would like to go back in the summer. Just love its huge (about 90 meters long) indoor swimming pool with waves. Tomamu offers programs in the summer, such as fishing, rafting and air balooning.

On a random note, I would recommned a train ride between Hakodate and Tomakomai. Done this three times already but I can't get enough of the views from the windows --- mountains on one side and the ocean on the other.

Noboribetsu Onsen is pretty cool, too. I stayed at Noboribetsu Grand Hotel and its huge onsen is one of the best I've experienced.

You will be surprised that people in Hokkaido speak much more like Tokyoites than people in regions that are physically closer to Tokyo. This is because Hokkaido was developed by those who migrated there from different parts of Honshuu and they tried to speak to each other as neutrally and dialect-free as possivle for better communication. You will be talking to the descendants of those pioneers there. Sorry, this was not the language section.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-09-2011, 10:08 AM

I'd also recommend Hakodate for some great historical stuff. It's a beautiful city with one of the best night views of a city (from Hakodate yama) you'll see anywhere in the world. Goryokaku a magnificent star shaped fort which was the site of the last battle of the Boshin war is a must see if you're into history and going to Hokkaido.

As masaegu points out Otaru is nice port city with a good historical precinct and is beautiful in summer. Sapporo obviously has some historical stuff but like much of Hokkaido don't expect it to be the ancient history you find down on Honshu. Large scale Japanese settlement in Hokkaido didn't really occur until around the 1700's. Sapporo does have one of the biggest underground malls in the world (nice in winter when it's cold and snowy at street level).

With only a week I would stick to SW Hokkiado. Cities like Otaru, Sapporo and Hakodate and some scenic places like Shikotsuko and Toyako. These are two magnificent lakes which are amazingly beautiful in summer and both have little onsen towns to stay in. Noboribetsu is also pretty cool with some great volcanic features and is sort of situated between the two lakes.

I wouldn't try and see too much of the island in just a week as you'll be doing little else other than travelling. Hokkaido is pretty big and with no shinkansen it takes awhile to get anywhere.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

06-10-2011, 01:05 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll look in to those places.

And I always appreciate the language information, Masaegu
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Versa (Offline)
New to JF

06-10-2011, 02:01 AM

oh ok im going this summer sometime around July, hopefully i get to find something new

Btw, when you are going to Hokkaido, take the train called Casiopea.