JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Pinkshadie (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Pinkshadie
Housing options - 06-12-2011, 07:11 PM

I'm a 21 year old girl from the US, and plan on travelling to Japan for a month in October with my best friend, but I can't really afford to live in a hotel for the month. I was leaning towards hostels which of course is always a cheaper option. But was wondering if there was a home-stay program that was available somewhere without needing to be in school, etc. We're going for the culture, and would love to be immersed as deeply as possible (and cheaply!), so was wondering if there was a program like that, or if anyone had any tips.

Arigato!

If everyone cared and nobody cried,
If everyone loved and nobody lied,
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride,
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-14-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkshadie View Post
I'm a 21 year old girl from the US, and plan on travelling to Japan for a month in October with my best friend, but I can't really afford to live in a hotel for the month. I was leaning towards hostels which of course is always a cheaper option. But was wondering if there was a home-stay program that was available somewhere without needing to be in school, etc. We're going for the culture, and would love to be immersed as deeply as possible (and cheaply!), so was wondering if there was a program like that, or if anyone had any tips.

Arigato!
If you have 3 people going (I am assuming, you your best friend + someone you may get to know around this forum), you sould consider renting out a small apartment.. there are short term rents available, other users on the site can probably tell you more or just do a search

I don't know how much hostels cost, but i myself don't like that level of sharing spaces with strangers. How much does Hostels normally cost anyways? If you are willing to live further away (Not really even that far) from major cities, you maybe able to lodge in some really cheap and clean business hotel for about 40 per person per night...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-14-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
If you have 3 people going (I am assuming, you your best friend + someone you may get to know around this forum), you sould consider renting out a small apartment.. there are short term rents available, other users on the site can probably tell you more or just do a search

I don't know how much hostels cost, but i myself don't like that level of sharing spaces with strangers. How much does Hostels normally cost anyways? If you are willing to live further away (Not really even that far) from major cities, you maybe able to lodge in some really cheap and clean business hotel for about 40 per person per night...
I will take this opportunity to give on caveat on this idea. One thing I noticed with people moving into weekly mansions. hostels, business hotels, etc. for more than a few days at a time is that the amount of space given is too small to be comfortable. I thought my 6-jo one-room mansion was small, but it was paradise compared to the closet sized space given at some "short-term" rentals. I stayed the night at one friends weekly mansion for a weekend. It was supposedly designed for two people, but was smaller than my tiny solo apartment. By the end of the weekend we were on each other's nerves, just from forcibly invading each other's personal space. It was a unique situation, as neither of us knew we had "personal space" that could be invaded to such a level of annoyance.

I can't imagine wanting to share that level of cramped space with a stranger, much less a good friend. Proceed with caution.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-14-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I will take this opportunity to give on caveat on this idea. One thing I noticed with people moving into weekly mansions. hostels, business hotels, etc. for more than a few days at a time is that the amount of space given is too small to be comfortable. I thought my 6-jo one-room mansion was small, but it was paradise compared to the closet sized space given at some "short-term" rentals. I stayed the night at one friends weekly mansion for a weekend. It was supposedly designed for two people, but was smaller than my tiny solo apartment. By the end of the weekend we were on each other's nerves, just from forcibly invading each other's personal space. It was a unique situation, as neither of us knew we had "personal space" that could be invaded to such a level of annoyance.

I can't imagine wanting to share that level of cramped space with a stranger, much less a good friend. Proceed with caution.
I never tried those short term rental places, so I assumed that it will be better than a hostel, but from the sound of it, its definitely not...

Don't know, still like the idea of business hotels....

EDIT: I stayed at Yokohama Super Hotel with a friend of mine back in 2007. We paid about 9000 yen for a night there, so it average out to be 4500 yen... the place was really really clean, we have a queensize bed plus a bunk above it, its not the biggest room, but definitely one of the cleanest business hotel i've stayed at... have a look: https://hotel.reservation.jp/superho...rvationtop.asp

Last edited by godwine : 06-14-2011 at 07:47 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-14-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I never tried those short term rental places, so I assumed that it will be better than a hostel, but from the sound of it, its definitely not...

EDIT: I stayed at Yokohama Super Hotel with a friend of mine back in 2007. We paid about 9000 yen for a night there, so it average out to be 4500 yen... the place was really really clean, we have a queensize bed plus a bunk above it, its not the biggest room, but definitely one of the cleanest business hotel i've stayed at... have a look: https://hotel.reservation.jp/superho...rvationtop.asp
I stayed at one place in Tokyo, I want to say Ueno, and it was a really spacious place calling itself a business hotel. The room had two queen size beds and plenty of space. I think it was as nice as it was because it was about a 20 minute walk from the station on the other side of the park. During the same trip we stayed in another business hotel that said they could put up to three in a room... that was assuming everyone intended to float about the bed and two cots that took up all floor space in the room. Thankfully that was just for one night.

The bottom line is, know what you are getting into. A month is a LONG time.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Pinkshadie (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Pinkshadie
06-14-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippom View Post
I hope you won't mind, but I just told Versa about your post.
Maybe you two can work something out together.
Here's her post, and she says she speaks perfect Nihongo;
Traveling to Japan
Thank you! However, the break in my work campaign is October 15th - November 29th so I won't be able to go in July like they plan on going.

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not overly fond of sharing that much personal space either, but I understand that since my budget isn't that large, I'll need to accept whatever way I can. I'll be subletting my apartment (Which I live with my best friend that I plan on going with), so won't have to worry about any bills back home, thankfully.

Quote:

I currently live with my best friend, and our apartment (In San Francisco, living style which is similar to Tokyo for price->what you get), so I'm sure it'd be okay. Can foreigners rent out a short term DK, though? Not sure of the regulations, etc.

Quote:

That looks like a good option. If I go with something like that I won't be able to stay for a month but it seems that maybe a month is too long anyways. I make a decent amount of money for someone who's 21, but still, lol.

Quote:
I stayed at one place in Tokyo, I want to say Ueno, and it was a really spacious place calling itself a business hotel. The room had two queen size beds and plenty of space. I think it was as nice as it was because it was about a 20 minute walk from the station on the other side of the park. During the same trip we stayed in another business hotel that said they could put up to three in a room... that was assuming everyone intended to float about the bed and two cots that took up all floor space in the room. Thankfully that was just for one night.

The bottom line is, know what you are getting into. A month is a LONG time.
Agreed. I just thought a month since I plan on subletting my apartment in the city during the time. Wonder if there's anyone in Japan who would be interested in swapping apartments during that time. I know that is a popular idea in the US, not sure how much it is there.

But hey, if you're reading this - 1 bedroom in Nob Hill in San Francisco overlooking the city.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll just stick to doing research and look into a few ideas mentioned as possibilities.

If everyone cared and nobody cried,
If everyone loved and nobody lied,
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride,
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-15-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:

Sounds like your friend got a very very poor deal.

Leo Palace is generally fairly large - I have yet to encounter one that is smaller than a 6-jo. (And most I`ve seen at that size have a loft.) Don`t discount all weekly/monthly rentals based on one horrid experience. Whenever I have people visit, I put them up in a Leo Palace place. It`s not hard to find large rooms that work well to accommodate multiple people.

However, if you`re just poking around on the net for short-term rentals for foreigners - well, that`s an entirely different market... Full of closets, old houses bought by enterprising foreigners and split into countless tiny tiny rooms, and incredibly overpriced normal rooms to take advantage of people who can`t read enough Japanese to know they`re being ripped off.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

06-16-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkshadie View Post

Arigato!
Japan is small but still big enough that it would help to know what part you're intending to stay in in order to help you out...

And weekly/monthly furnished rental suites are becomming more common, especially for foreigners, but can be a little pricey, still heaps cheaper than a hotel for a month though

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-16-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Sounds like your friend got a very very poor deal.

Leo Palace is generally fairly large - I have yet to encounter one that is smaller than a 6-jo. (And most I`ve seen at that size have a loft.) Don`t discount all weekly/monthly rentals based on one horrid experience. Whenever I have people visit, I put them up in a Leo Palace place. It`s not hard to find large rooms that work well to accommodate multiple people.

However, if you`re just poking around on the net for short-term rentals for foreigners - well, that`s an entirely different market... Full of closets, old houses bought by enterprising foreigners and split into countless tiny tiny rooms, and incredibly overpriced normal rooms to take advantage of people who can`t read enough Japanese to know they`re being ripped off.
It was fine for one person for 6 weeks, but two was too many. I am not judging based on one experience, as I said, bottom line is know what you are getting into. There should be pictures and measurements of the room you are renting online. Make sure you like what you are getting, and make sure you get what you reserved.

I understand it isn't hard to find rooms to accommodate multiple people, but I worry when its multiple people with a very limited budget for an extended period of time. I usually say half-the-time, and double the accommodation.