JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-19-2011, 10:46 PM

does this woman look like she could be famous, like is the picture really well done and is she quite beautiful? Just thinking that maybe he is a fan of her or something.

anyhow it is probably just a privacy thing.. not wanting to post one's real face online.

Last edited by RickOShay : 06-19-2011 at 10:49 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-19-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuu View Post
Thanks for the ideas and info guys. I'll come up with some inoffensive way to ask about the person's name. I just wanna make sure I can trust them before I have to go next month.
I would assume homestay families would be interviewed and scrutinized before being allowed to host foreigners. I would think this an insurance aspect. Anyways, perhaps you can contact the homestay program and ask them so you don't have to ask the family anything?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Skuu
06-19-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
does this woman look like she could be famous, like is the picture really well done and is she quite beautiful? Just thinking that maybe he is a fan of her or something.
Good idea but no it's a rubbish tiny picture of a woman outside a house. Can barely make her out, which makes me curious about whether it is actually a guy lol.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-19-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
I would assume homestay families would be interviewed and scrutinized before being allowed to host foreigners. I would think this an insurance aspect. Anyways, perhaps you can contact the homestay program and ask them so you don't have to ask the family anything?
Hey, good idea but it says on the site that it's just like a message board, no vetting or checks. It's not a homestay program just a website (homestayweb).
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-19-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
anyhow it is probably just a privacy thing.. not wanting to post one's real face online.
Good point, not so curious about that, the name just bugs me isall.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

06-19-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Hey, good idea but it says on the site that it's just like a message board, no vetting or checks. It's not a homestay program just a website (homestayweb).
Anywhere else in the world that would raise a huge flag for me. But when it's Japan, the risk may not be so high. Still, it somewhat concerns me. I'm sure you've researched it plenty and your folks are okay with it. (not saying you're a kid.)
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-19-2011, 10:57 PM

Is it possible that she is married and is listing head of household for the address? That would be something quite normal...

A daughter inviting someone for a homestay also would NOT be something all that odd, really, if the parents approved.

I don`t see any reason for there to be deception going on - Why list a male name if they were trying to trick someone into thinking they were female. Even if the person you`ve spoken to all along is a man, it`s probably more likely just a picture of a family member in front of the house rather than any active attempt at deception.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-19-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Is it possible that she is married and is listing head of household for the address? That would be something quite normal...

A daughter inviting someone for a homestay also would NOT be something all that odd, really, if the parents approved.

I don`t see any reason for there to be deception going on - Why list a male name if they were trying to trick someone into thinking they were female. Even if the person you`ve spoken to all along is a man, it`s probably more likely just a picture of a family member in front of the house rather than any active attempt at deception.
Hey, thanks for your thoughts, Nyororin! All that stuff is what I was kinda hoping was the case. Makes sense. When I said dad, I think she's about 30 and her dad's old. I've asked for a picture of her, so what she says. Is it worth inquiring about the name in some innocent fashion?
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-19-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Anywhere else in the world that would raise a huge flag for me. But when it's Japan, the risk may not be so high. Still, it somewhat concerns me. I'm sure you've researched it plenty and your folks are okay with it. (not saying you're a kid.)
The site has families from allover the world so yeah.

It says on the site:
"Q. Are the host families listed here interviewed or screened?
No, HomestayWeb's purpose is to create a place where Homestay guests and hosts can find their own matches.
HomestayWeb is not responsible for nor does it endorse any of the information placed by hosts in their profile pages on this website. Please judge wisely in choosing your Homestay family."
(#20 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

06-19-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
The site has families from allover the world so yeah.

It says on the site:
"Q. Are the host families listed here interviewed or screened?
No, HomestayWeb's purpose is to create a place where Homestay guests and hosts can find their own matches.
HomestayWeb is not responsible for nor does it endorse any of the information placed by hosts in their profile pages on this website. Please judge wisely in choosing your Homestay family."
Sounds like a wonderful possibility for a great experience. Have a great time and be as respectful as you possibly can!