(#21 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-19-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuu View Post
Hey, thanks for your thoughts, Nyororin! All that stuff is what I was kinda hoping was the case. Makes sense. When I said dad, I think she's about 30 and her dad's old. I've asked for a picture of her, so what she says. Is it worth inquiring about the name in some innocent fashion?
Has "she" ever said that "she" is female? Other than the picture, has there been anything that makes you think it`s a woman?

You say the picture is tiny and you can`t really tell whether it`s a man or woman - what makes you feel it is a woman?

Why not just ask about family living in the home? That should give you a good indication of who the picture could be of.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Skuu
06-19-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Sounds like a wonderful possibility for a great experience. Have a great time and be as respectful as you possibly can!
Thanks dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Has "she" ever said that "she" is female? Other than the picture, has there been anything that makes you think it`s a woman?

You say the picture is tiny and you can`t really tell whether it`s a man or woman - what makes you feel it is a woman?

Why not just ask about family living in the home? That should give you a good indication of who the picture could be of.
No, I always assumed, probably because the rest of the homestays I've contacted and the one I stayed with before were women, and because of the picture. The picture is tiny and leaves room for.. maneuver, but it's clearly most likely at least supposed to be a woman, or an older girl.

I asked her about all that, she has students living there, and her parents leave nearby. I checked back through the emails and she just said 'my mum and dad' (in Japanese).
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
No, I always assumed, probably because the rest of the homestays I've contacted and the one I stayed with before were women, and because of the picture. The picture is tiny and leaves room for.. maneuver, but it's clearly most likely at least supposed to be a woman, or an older girl.

I asked her about all that, she has students living there, and her parents leave nearby. I checked back through the emails and she just said 'my mum and dad' (in Japanese).
If you`re concerned, I would say to ask about it directly. As you`re making the jump to stay in this person`s house, it`s not unreasonable to ask about the name. I am sure it is most likely the father`s (head of household`s) name, as that is generally what you would list... But it is concerning you, so why not just ask directly? I don`t think it would be strange to just ask "Is that your name?", or "What is your name?".

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-19-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
If you`re concerned, I would say to ask about it directly. As you`re making the jump to stay in this person`s house, it`s not unreasonable to ask about the name. I am sure it is most likely the father`s (head of household`s) name, as that is generally what you would list... But it is concerning you, so why not just ask directly? I don`t think it would be strange to just ask "Is that your name?", or "What is your name?".
Ah thanks, I guess I will. You've been really helpful Nyororin (and everyone else!)

Kind of on the topic, I'm looking to teach English and be taught Japanese on an ad hoc basis while in Tokyo, also just to make lots of friends and connections (cause I wanna be an English teacher for Japanese people eventually, not necessarily in Japan). Any ideas on the best way of doing this in Tokyo? I've already made some connections with people just through word of mouth, but places to go to meet people? Community centres round the center of Tokyo? Thanks <3
(#25 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-19-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Ah thanks, I guess I will. You've been really helpful Nyororin (and everyone else!)

Kind of on the topic, I'm looking to teach English and be taught Japanese on an ad hoc basis while in Tokyo, also just to make lots of friends and connections (cause I wanna be an English teacher for Japanese people eventually, not necessarily in Japan). Any ideas on the best way of doing this in Tokyo? I've already made some connections with people just through word of mouth, but places to go to meet people? Community centres round the center of Tokyo? Thanks <3
Coffee shops are probably the best place to meet.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-19-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Coffee shops are probably the best place to meet.
Like.. go up to people and talk or what? I'm rubbish at that. Are Japanese people likely to approach me? They're usually shy right (generalisations).
(#27 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

06-19-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Like.. go up to people and talk or what? I'm rubbish at that. Are Japanese people likely to approach me? They're usually shy right (generalisations).
I misunderstood your query. I thought you wanted to know where to meet the people you made connections with already. I apologize. As far as meeting people who would like to learn English, I guess hanging around schools or universities would be a start. Then again, it may not be socially acceptable to go ask people out of the blue. If you have a hiragana or kanji textbook or practice book, you can hang out in places close to colleges and make it obvious you are studying. Perhaps a curious person will approach you and offer help in Japanese and that may break the ice. Just a thought.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-20-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I misunderstood your query. I thought you wanted to know where to meet the people you made connections with already. I apologize. As far as meeting people who would like to learn English, I guess hanging around schools or universities would be a start. Then again, it may not be socially acceptable to go ask people out of the blue. If you have a hiragana or kanji textbook or practice book, you can hang out in places close to colleges and make it obvious you are studying. Perhaps a curious person will approach you and offer help in Japanese and that may break the ice. Just a thought.
Ah, great idea xD I'll be bringing books so I'll try that! Thanks so much.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

06-20-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Ah, great idea xD I'll be bringing books so I'll try that! Thanks so much.
Good luck!
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-21-2011, 11:09 AM

Hmm.. I emailed them asking for a picture and an address (my mum wanted the latter cause she was worried) and they replied just giving me the general area with 丁目 and not mentioning a picture. I thought it was a bit strange but I'm not sure if I've just become paranoid now.

I asked about the full toshinori name, see what they say. Hopefully that will confirm it. I'm thinking it is a guy now. They have a website under the email address which has pictures of a small helicopter and a guy in it, and they said they can fly small planes.

If you guys say I'm over thinking things then I'll be ok, but on my own I'm worried right now. Halp D: