JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Gramzon (Offline)
New to JF

06-24-2011, 06:32 AM

sure, enough about the sword already xD

And thanks for the info, it's been great help, but you can keep the awesomeness coming!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2011, 11:37 AM

If you haven't done so, check the other threads here about "going to japan". They all contain good info that might be of help.

As far as bars go........ if you don't know about "hostess bars" ...... be careful. You can end up needing a major loan to get back out the door after a couple of drinks and socializing with the ladies. Or need to deal with a couple of guys that have lots of tatoos .

The best "Japanese" experience for bars is to find some izakaya. These are the very small bars (some seating less than a dozen people) that the Japanese tend to frequent. They are everywhere. Each tends to serve its own particular specialty of "bar food"......and they often are great places to have dinner over a few drinks.

You mentioned what "shots" (medical) to get for Japan, I think. The US government does not recommend any for Japan other than the usual childhood immunizations and stuff like having tetanus up to date. If you are staying in Tokyo (and not spending much time in Kabukicho ) you likely won't need any special shots.

best,

..............john
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Gramzon (Offline)
New to JF

06-24-2011, 02:52 PM

"hostess bars"?
is that some kind of prostitute bar?
i think ill stay away from those places, know any names on places i should stay away from in tokyo?

Norwegian Viking wants to visit Japan!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-24-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramzon View Post
"hostess bars"?
i think ill stay away from those places, know any names on places i should stay away from in tokyo?
Just be careful and don't attract any attention if you travel around Kabukicho after 8:00PM

I'd stay away from bars and pubs around Roppongi...
(#15 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
"hostess bars"?
Host and hostess clubs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-24-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
"hostess bars"?
It is a uniquely Japanese thing. Imagine paying prostitute prices for just having a nice conversation with a pretty lady.

Foreigners shouldn't worry too much about hostess bars. There are plenty of "normal" places to get drinks. Foreigners aren't usually targeted for Japanese hostess bars, as the owners know tourists aren't going to want to pay their outrageous prices. However, they foreign businessmen (with business credit cards) can be targeted, especially by SE Asian and Chinese hostesses. Just say "No thank you" and keep walking.

Overall, it's nothing to lose any sleep over.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-24-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Just be careful and don't attract any attention if you travel around Kabukicho after 8:00PM

I'd stay away from bars and pubs around Roppongi...
There are so many great areas in Tokyo to get drinks... why anyone not looking for trouble would feel the need to go to Roppongi or Kabukicho is beyond me... but it seems these are the only places people talk about. I liked Ueno and Asakusa, and the beer garden at Ebisu is fun, clean and safe.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-24-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
There are so many great areas in Tokyo to get drinks... why anyone not looking for trouble would feel the need to go to Roppongi or Kabukicho is beyond me... but it seems these are the only places people talk about. I liked Ueno and Asakusa, and the beer garden at Ebisu is fun, clean and safe.
I don't drink, do I wouldn't know, I am only suggesting those are the places to avoid at night...
(#19 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
.....why anyone not looking for trouble would feel the need to go to Roppongi or Kabukicho is beyond me... but it seems these are the only places people talk about.
I agree completely.

A lot of foreign tourist information things indicate that these are the places for "lively nightlife". Unfortunately they don't exactly define that term all that well. So some tourists are misled into those areas. So I think the reason it gets discussed so much is to warn off people a bit.

I'm guessing Kabuki-cho has to be one of the largest "red light" districts in the world........ with legal and illegal all happening up-front and side-by-side.

I too like Ueno and Asakusa a lot.

best,

.............john
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-24-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
I don't drink, do I wouldn't know, I am only suggesting those are the places to avoid at night...
I agree. I am just wondering out loud why when people talk about "drinking in Tokyo" these are the main places that come up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
I agree completely.

A lot of foreign tourist information things indicate that these are the places for "lively nightlife". Unfortunately they don't exactly define that term all that well. So some tourists are misled into those areas. So I think the reason it gets discussed so much is to warn off people a bit.

I'm guessing Kabuki-cho has to be one of the largest "red light" districts in the world........ with legal and illegal all happening up-front and side-by-side.

I too like Ueno and Asakusa a lot.

best,

.............john
Yes, I think you are probably right. I hear Kabuki-cho has been cleaned up a bit, but it still, if you are not looking for a special massage or thousand dollars of Dom, I am sure there are plenty of places within walking distance of the hotel that are perfect.