LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
LOL... but even if he does spend money on food, I will be very suprise if he spend more than USD70 a day... When my wife and I was there, our average was like 60 a day, some days we eat cheap, but even then, we still fill ourselves quite well.

I find Ramen and Yoshinoa a good way to fill myself with decent REAL japanese food on a low budget..
Yeah, excluding travel, Japan can honestly be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I find Ramen and Yoshinoa a good way to fill myself with decent REAL japanese food on a low budget..
Only it if weren't so salty.... I'm on sodium restriction and some meals in those places are quite salty....
(#23 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

06-24-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
LOL... but even if he does spend money on food, I will be very suprise if he spend more than USD70 a day... When my wife and I was there, our average was like 60 a day, some days we eat cheap, but even then, we still fill ourselves quite well.

Yoshinoya and Ramen is good and all.... once or twice...
Isn't the biggest part of visiting another culture enjoying the food it has to offer?

What I didn't express very well in my last post was that if I were coming to Japan for just a visit, and not living here, I'd save up to really enjoy the best the place has to offer, not just the cheap stuff.

Especially in Japan where there is such a huge range and variety of food to have. And most cities have their own specialties too.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Only it if weren't so salty.... I'm on sodium restriction and some meals in those places are quite salty....
Very true.. especially Yoshinoya and a couple of ramen place i found @ Kyoto station...
(#25 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
That approach is like coming to America and eating at McDonalds and KFC. Yes, they are "real" American food........ but likely that is not the way one wants to spend a vacation eating.

True... a lot of Americans (unfortunately for our health care system) DO eat this way. And a lot of Japanese DO eat a lot at Yoshinoya and ramen shops.

A McDonalds as compared to a good American steak house is a good comparison for Yoshinoya to a Kyoto kaiseki place. Both ARE "American food". (Actually, no it is not... the good food in Kyoto is far better than the best American steak house I have ever been in.)

If one is OK with eating a McDonalds / KFC / Dunkin Donuts diet in the USA... then the Yoshinoya approach in Japan is certainly viable . And if money is an issue... it is clearly an option. At least the food from those places in Japan will be better tasting and generally healthier.

But you'd be missing a lot.

best,

............john
(#26 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-24-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
That approach is like coming to America and eating at McDonalds and KFC. Yes, they are "real" American food........ but likely that is not the way one wants to spend a vacation eating.

True... a lot of Americans (unfortunately for our health care system) DO eat this way. And a lot of Japanese DO eat a lot at Yoshinoya and ramen shops.

A McDonalds as compared to a good American steak house is a good comparison for Yoshinoya to a Kyoto kaiseki place. Both ARE "American food". (Actually, no it is not... the good food in Kyoto is far better than the best American steak house I have ever been in.)

If one is OK with eating a McDonalds / KFC / Dunkin Donuts diet in the USA... then the Yoshinoya approach in Japan is certainly viable . And if money is an issue... it is clearly an option. At least the food from those places in Japan will be better tasting and generally healthier.

But you'd be missing a lot.

best,

............john
John and James, I don't disagree at all, I am just saying, there are cheap alternatives. My wife love Ramen, so it wasn't that bad, but we tried all kind of differnt food too... the killer was at an onsen resort, my uncle booked that for us as our wedding gift, Kaiseki ryori for 3 meals... then, his son (my cousin) took us out for teppanyaki..

And we had A LOT of street food...
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Pattie (Offline)
New to JF

06-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Something I didn't see anyone mention is the use of credit cards in Japan.

I could be wrong, but on our first trip we learned the hard way that they're just not used like they are in America. At home, we rarely carry cash and stupidly assumed it wouldn't be an issue in Japan. Now, we know not to rely on them at all!

If that has changed in the past 8 years, I haven't noticed because we're still carrying cash.

Best be prepared.

Cheers,

Pattie
(#28 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2011, 06:49 PM

Great point, Pattie.

Other than the higher end places.... credit cards (especially non-Japanese issued ones) are still not readily taken. it is getting more widespread... but it is FAR from easy to do.

Cash is king in the land of computers!

best,

..............john
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-25-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
That is very true, but a lot of people want to hit major cities etc while on their trip here, and well, basically what I wanted to communicate is.. if you are going to being using, or wanting to use the bullet train a good amount of your time in Japan, the JR pass is probably the best deal you can get.
Absolutely true. The key point is traveling between cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
Yoshinoya and Ramen is good and all.... once or twice...
Isn't the biggest part of visiting another culture enjoying the food it has to offer?

What I didn't express very well in my last post was that if I were coming to Japan for just a visit, and not living here, I'd save up to really enjoy the best the place has to offer, not just the cheap stuff.

Especially in Japan where there is such a huge range and variety of food to have. And most cities have their own specialties too.
I agree with this. I could easily spend 100+ dollars a day on food in Japan without thinking. It would take me an effort if I were staying at a hotel to spend less than 3000 yen in a day on food.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-25-2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
Great point, Pattie.

Other than the higher end places.... credit cards (especially non-Japanese issued ones) are still not readily taken. it is getting more widespread... but it is FAR from easy to do.

Cash is king in the land of computers!

best,

..............john
Really? If I am spending just a couple thousand yen, I always used cash, but if was over 5000 or 10,000 I never had a problem using my VISA card.