JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Gramzon (Offline)
New to JF

Travel plans - 06-23-2011, 05:23 PM

Hello people of Japan forum!
I have for a while now been planning a trip to japan, but the travel agencies here in Norway aren't helping much when it comes to prices and such.

so, i need some help from you folks (yes i have googled).
What do you have to pay for a hotel room in Tokyo? (about two weeks)

I want to go just to have fun, a couple of nights out in the city, visit some temples, maybe go to some big convention or something.
I JUST WANT TO DO STUFF!

I'm also thinking about saving some money and have a swordsmith make me a proper katana.

I'd be happy to meet up with people from this this forum, I don't speak japananese (except from a couple of words).

im thinking about going sometime in 2012.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2011, 06:32 PM

Gramzon,

Depends on where you look in Tokyo as to what kind of price you can find. And the more "non-Japanese" style the hotel... the more it will cost you. Business hotels can be found for about $120 USD a night or so.

If you stick to a "hotel" you might find it a little more expensive than if you look at other possible lodging options... like some of the VERY basic ryokan. You can find one for about $70 USD a night or so.

In my spare time I practice Iai. Are you aware of the price to have a Japanese smith to actually fabricate a katana? If you are looking for a genuine Nihonto....... you'll need a mortgage . And a full custom fabrication will take longer than a couple of weeks.

best,

.................john
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Gramzon (Offline)
New to JF

06-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Yeah, i know how much a swordsmith costs, and im thinking about using some money i inherited for that. (i still need to save up what i have to pay in advance).

sure, thanks for the info about the ryokan.

how is the city life at the clubs and bars?

whats is the age limits for drinking, smoking, driving etc and what diseases should get a shot for?

and how well do they speak english?
i were in italy and france and had to do a crash course in learning those languages, because they don't speak or understand english.
should i sign up for a course in learning basic japanese?

Last edited by Gramzon : 06-23-2011 at 07:00 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-23-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramzon View Post
Yeah, i know how much a swordsmith costs, and im thinking about using some money i inherited for that. (i still need to save up what i have to pay in advance).

sure, thanks for the info about the ryokan.

how is the city life at the clubs and bars?

whats is the age limits for drinking, smoking, driving etc and what diseases should get a shot for?

and how well do they speak english?
i were in italy and france and had to do a crash course in learning those languages, because they don't speak or understand english.
should i sign up for a course in learning basic japanese?
About swordsmith, i am not 100% sure, but I don't think you are allowed to export anything that is forged by a renowned family...

They don't speak english well, most major cities will have people than can do brief communications, and thats about it.. rural area, not a chance...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
About swordsmith, i am not 100% sure, but I don't think you are allowed to export anything that is forged by a renowned family...
There is an export license (and documents) needed for a forged and clay-tempered steel live blade (sharp sword). Non-steel (alloy) training (unsharpened) Iaito can easily be exported.

Cheap junk (non-functional) sharp "wall hangers" out of stainless and other such are everywhere. NEVER swing one!!!! The blade has a nasty habit of seperating unexpectedly from the typically tack-welded-on tang (the part that is in the tsuka ..... the handle)....with the expected disasterous results.

best,

.....................john
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2011, 11:55 PM

Drinking age is 21

As for your blade ... do you have any idea about how much a commission like that goes for ? Not to mention that's IF whomever decides to accept it and by that I mean an artisan such as you mention and that it one hell of a big IF.

We're not talking about a couple hundred or thousand dollars here but tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Don't expect to hear any english at all, I was spoken to in english twice during my time (I don't count the hotel) and both times it was by restaurant owners.

If your looking for bars and clubs speaking english then it's Ropoggi you want though god knows why you want to go there.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-23-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
Drinking age is 21
In Japan? I believe it is 20.

Quote:
If your looking for bars and clubs speaking english then it's Ropoggi you want though god knows why you want to go there.
That's like going to Harlem, New York to get a slice of pizza. Most drink names can be stated in English and everyone understands what you mean. I have never had trouble getting a beer anywhere in Japan, and believe me, I have tried just about everywhere.

Last edited by MMM : 06-24-2011 at 12:01 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
As for your blade ... do you have any idea about how much a commission like that goes for ? Not to mention that's IF whomever decides to accept it and by that I mean an artisan such as you mention and that it one hell of a big IF.

We're not talking about a couple hundred or thousand dollars here but tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.
A GOOD newly forged katana by a top contemporary smith like Ono Yoshimitsu will likely go for about $50,000 and up. A really basic one (if you could find it) might be had for $15,000 to $20,000.

I hope the OP has a BIG inheritance .

best,

...............john

PS: Drinking age in Japan is 20.

Last edited by JBaymore : 06-24-2011 at 12:33 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2011, 12:45 AM

Well I am beyond the age of worrying about things like legal age for anything at this point

Vending machines didn't care how old you were for alcohol unless you were buying smokes then you had you had swipe a passcard. Took me a few tries until a guy came out of his store and swiped it for me, then I got it
(#10 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2011, 03:38 AM

It submits the document to Agency for Cultural Affairs.
The license book will be published in about two weeks.
When the Japanese sword is mailed, the license book is submitted to customs.
If the delay of time and the permit that chooses the sword is considered, the stay of three weeks might be necessary.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff