JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

Destination along the northern coast line - 07-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Hey All

I've done too much traveling along the southern coast line, mainly along the Tokaido line. That said, i am wondering what are some good nice destination along the northern coast?

I have an upcoming trip in 2012 to Okinawa, date is unknown yet, but probably around march/april time frame. Before heading to Okinawa, I want to do a bit of exlporation along the northern coast line.

So far, I am thinking of Kinosaki, Kanazawa, Toyama.. anything else you would recommend?

My plan is to land in Tokyo and spend a few days around Tokyo area, and also to spend some time with my Uncle's family before traveling north. Total time is about 7-10 days before i head over to Okinawa

Thoughts?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-05-2011, 02:23 PM

If you actually mean *coastline* and not towns / cities in the north - I`d recommend looking into the Echizen Coast (越前海岸). It is absolutely beautiful, and is a designated national park.
I love just driving along the coast. The water is very clear (nothing like the muddy murkiness of the Pacific coastal waters), and great for swimming if you`re there in the summer. In the winter, the cliff sides leading to the water are covered in wild daffodils.

Along the coast there are numerous towns and villages that offer places to stay. (Husband`s family runs an inn up there.)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-05-2011, 03:56 PM

The World Heritage -The Historic Village of Gokayama- | HOME PAGE
Kenrokuen
TATEYAMA KUROBE ALPINE ROUTE - Official Website

(`・ω・´)

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-05-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
If you actually mean *coastline* and not towns / cities in the north - I`d recommend looking into the Echizen Coast (越前海岸). It is absolutely beautiful, and is a designated national park.
I love just driving along the coast. The water is very clear (nothing like the muddy murkiness of the Pacific coastal waters), and great for swimming if you`re there in the summer. In the winter, the cliff sides leading to the water are covered in wild daffodils.

Along the coast there are numerous towns and villages that offer places to stay. (Husband`s family runs an inn up there.)
Thanks, do keep these suggestions coming

Any discount for JF members?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Interesting... I will have a look... thanks!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

07-06-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:

Oh cool.. we are also thinking of Fukui this coming summer vacation. Does the inn have a website ? I want to check accomodation type and prices and of course reservation.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

07-06-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Any discount for JF members?
Doubtful, as they are a very very small inn - not a huge fancy ryokan sort of deal.

Quote:
Oh cool.. we are also thinking of Fukui this coming summer vacation. Does the inn have a website ? I want to check accomodation type and prices and of course reservation.
Nope! They are listed online - address and phone number sort of thing - and are registered with the tourism board, but that`s about it. The inn is a secondary, seasonal thing. The main family business is fishing and seafood processing related (crabs, the famous food stuff of the area). They really only open on reservation so usually only cater to return customers.

If you want an extremely small, very very far off the beaten track experience - they might work out for you though.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

07-06-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Doubtful, as they are a very very small inn - not a huge fancy ryokan sort of deal.

Nope! They are listed online - address and phone number sort of thing - and are registered with the tourism board, but that`s about it. The inn is a secondary, seasonal thing. The main family business is fishing and seafood processing related (crabs, the famous food stuff of the area). They really only open on reservation so usually only cater to return customers.

If you want an extremely small, very very far off the beaten track experience - they might work out for you though.

Yes, that is exactly what we are looking for . If you would not mind posting or giving the name of the inn, that would be awesome. I am thinking of dragging some Japanese friends all the way out there .

My Japan Life

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

07-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
Yes, that is exactly what we are looking for . If you would not mind posting or giving the name of the inn, that would be awesome. I am thinking of dragging some Japanese friends all the way out there .
I`ll pm you with the info if you promise not to mention where you got it. Mother-in-law has a tendency to balk when she thinks that the service (or lack thereof) might reflect badly on me.

(#10 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

07-06-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I`ll pm you with the info if you promise not to mention where you got it. Mother-in-law has a tendency to balk when she thinks that the service (or lack thereof) might reflect badly on me.
got it thanks. don't worry I won't disclose the source

My Japan Life