JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Skuu
Exclamation Japanese customs prohibited medicine - 07-10-2011, 12:40 PM

Hi all. I read somewhere that Japanese customs doesn't allow a few normal medicines into the country. I searched google and this forum but can't find anything that gives me confidence that I won't get my stuff confiscated yet.

Anyone got any ideas what's not allowed, or anywhere I can find out? I just wanna bring paracetamol, some cough and cold stuff and some antibiotics (they say 'amoxicillin and clavulanic acid' on them).

I'm going to Tokyo on the 14th so, some help soon would be useful. But since there doesn't seem to be a thread devoted to this already it might be good for people to have this one with information anyway.

(If anyone says "err yeah, what about this thread over here?" then I'll just delete this one, thanks )
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-10-2011, 01:35 PM

If they're prescribed, I'd bring a copy of the prescription.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
If they're prescribed, I'd bring a copy of the prescription.
I'll check if the antibiotics are on prescription, I think my mum who's a nurse might've just gotten them though.

There's a US site that has a sort of list of stuff but it's not very clear or exhaustative. It says you can't bring inhalers in, which seems a bit silly.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2011, 02:12 PM

There is a whole rigamarole about this "medicine into Japan" business that is kinda' crazy.

The only way to get a definitive list of what the Japanese Government actually allow is to contact them at the Ministry of Health directly......even THEY do not publish a list online or anywhere else. It is completely nutzo. Contact your countries home Dept of State,..... and they tell you to contact Japan. THEY don't have definitive lists!!!!!!

There is SOME information about some stuff online. But is is not definitave at all. In the end........ to be ABSOLUTELY sure... you have to contact Japan.

If you need any injectable drug ... like insulin... you'll need to apply for a Yakkan Shoumei. It requires a bunch of paperwork be sent to Japan, and then you get an official form back to carry through Japanese Customs. Unfortunately, is takes at least a few weeks with the round trip mailings. You have to send them IRCs for return postage too.

Watch your cold medicines! Anything containing Sudefed will land you in some deep hot water. Totally prohibited. It is common in many OTC cold remedies.

Take a look at these links I use for my students for us traveling to Japan:

Importing or Bringing Medication into Japan for Personal Use

http://www.mhlw.go.jp/topics/0104/tp0401-1.html (日本語)

Procedures of Passenger Clearance

American Citizen Services | Embassy of the United States Tokyo, Japan

Bringing Medications to Japan--Japan Center for Michigan Universities

Consulate General of Japan in Chicago

MD Travel Health - Japan - vaccinations, malaria, safety, and other medical advice

Here is the Yakkan Shoumei application paperwork in (Jap)English:

http://kouseikyoku.mhlw.go.jp/kantos...nes_070618.pdf

Hope this helps.

best,

............john
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuu View Post
It says you can't bring inhalers in, which seems a bit silly.
Depends on the content of that inhaler. Many... you cant.

For certain people on certain necessary and non-substitutable drugs... you are SOL getting into Japan legally.

Our cardiologist... who is native Japanese.... was absolutely ASTOUNDED when she heard about all this crap. She was amazed that it is so complicated. She thought filling out the paperwork was rediculous.... but she did it for us.

And you DO need SIGNED copied of all of your presectiptions with you for stuff that you do not need a Yakkan Shoumei for (as well as for those also). Simple computer readouts of a listing of the drugs you are on is not enough. It has to be a prescription form, and has to have the Doctors signatuire on it for each drug.

best,

...............john

Last edited by JBaymore : 07-10-2011 at 02:20 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2011, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the info, John. I'll have a looksee. At a guess i'd think paracetamol would be fine, but I've no clue about these antibiotics.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2011, 03:40 PM

I don't know anything about what you are allowed to take to Japan in terms of medicine, but I remember the second time I went to Japan was with a friend who needed an inhaler.
He had to put it in a plastic bag and was allowed to continue with no problems.

In my bag I had Paracetamol, Lemsip and some other tablets that I can't remember the name of right now.
They took them out of the bag and didn't know what they were, so I just explained that it was medicine for headaches etc, and that was good enough for them.

Of course it would be best to find out, but I thought I would just let you know about my own experience with taking over the counter medicines with me.
Of course none of it was prescribed medicine, but as others have said I heard it is best to take all prescriptions with you.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2011, 04:03 PM

Thanks, yuri. Good to know. I'll see what my mum says about the antibiotics and will probably just take it.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

07-11-2011, 01:26 AM

Everytime I come back to Japan after my vacation in my home country I usually have lots of medicine with me. Mostly Paracetamol and some for Sinusitis. I don't even bother hiding them. It is usually in the same package from the drugstore , the bag usually have the stores name on it.

I was only asked one time, my very first trip, about it and I just told them its my medicines and they said OK and put it right back in.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------