JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-10-2011, 12:12 AM

I have been to a few business meetings and seminars in Japan, and many Japanese beleve that tourism will become more important to Japan's economy in the future. The markets for products in Japan have become "mature", meaning that no future growth is expected, because the population is no longer increasing, and personal income is not growing.

Tourism is a strong industry in Japan, but it was hit hard following the quake. Back in the spring there were no foreigners to be seen in places like Akihabara or Shibuya. But now things are improving, and the foreigners are returning.

When I first visited Japan (as a tourist), I really enjoyed it. I have been to many places, but Japan is one of my favorites.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-10-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Back in the spring there were no foreigners to be seen in places like Akihabara or Shibuya. But now things are improving, and the foreigners are returning.
I was in Japan back in May-June and then back again in September and just returned home here to the USA a week ago... and this is exactly what I was seeing also in the Tokyo area. But the numbers of (visually obvious) gaijin are still way low from what I'd experiened over the past 15 or so years.

The Western media's over-the-top hype on the earthquake/tsunami/radiation situation has done a lot of damage to Japan's foreign tourism from this side of the globe, and I think it is going to take a long while before the effects of that wear off of the "group consciousness".

best,

................john
(#43 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-10-2011, 12:31 PM

Well, I have an 18 day trip paid for in March, so count me in on those who think the over-hype is just that. I didn't believe things for a second, except for the Fukushima disaster.

I will be in Ishinomaki City on 3/11 to offer my prayers and to see how things are after a year. I plan on stopping by Matsushima Bay, Sendai and Fukushima on that day as well to help the local economies a little....
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-10-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I have been to a few business meetings and seminars in Japan, and many Japanese beleve that tourism will become more important to Japan's economy in the future. The markets for products in Japan have become "mature", meaning that no future growth is expected, because the population is no longer increasing, and personal income is not growing.

Tourism is a strong industry in Japan, but it was hit hard following the quake. Back in the spring there were no foreigners to be seen in places like Akihabara or Shibuya. But now things are improving, and the foreigners are returning.

When I first visited Japan (as a tourist), I really enjoyed it. I have been to many places, but Japan is one of my favorites.
Yeah that seems to be what I've noticed too. They had their pretty ambitious goal with the 10 million by 2010, and now they've gone even crazier with the 20 million by 2020. But the question is of course whether their efforts, predictions and wants will convert to actual visitors, and they don't seem to be having the best of luck with that especially after the recession and now the earthquake.

Is that so? I went in July for a week, and to me the major tourist places were... well... packed with tourists :L
Especially places like Harajuku and Shinjuku, even Akihabara. I guess that's not that long ago, but there still seemed to be more tourists there than ever before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
I was in Japan back in May-June and then back again in September and just returned home here to the USA a week ago... and this is exactly what I was seeing also in the Tokyo area. But the numbers of (visually obvious) gaijin are still way low from what I'd experiened over the past 15 or so years.

The Western media's over-the-top hype on the earthquake/tsunami/radiation situation has done a lot of damage to Japan's foreign tourism from this side of the globe, and I think it is going to take a long while before the effects of that wear off of the "group consciousness".

best,

................john
Hmmm, same as what I said above, I'm quite surprised you think they were at a visual low. I thought that there were quite a lot around. I did stop for rests every now and again so maybe that's why I thought there were more, who knows.

The pre-earthquake tourism from the West still wasn't really something to be bragging about, but I can see what you mean.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

10-12-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post

best,

................john
Just saw this, thought I would pitch in. When we say "Foreigners" are we referring to just non Asian? Because I know plenty of Chinese (HK, TW, CN) and Koreans are still traveling to Japan.... And Akiba is definitely one of their stops...
(#46 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-12-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Just saw this, thought I would pitch in. When we say "Foreigners" are we referring to just non Asian? Because I know plenty of Chinese (HK, TW, CN) and Koreans are still traveling to Japan.... And Akiba is definitely one of their stops...
I'm not JBaymore, but I think I can answer on his behalf until he can pitch in ^^;
When he says 'visually obvious,' I think he's only referring to white and black people, for example.

If I'm wrong then feel free to correct JB :L
(#47 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-12-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
I'm not JBaymore, but I think I can answer on his behalf until he can pitch in ^^;
When he says 'visually obvious,' I think he's only referring to white and black people, for example.

If I'm wrong then feel free to correct JB :L
Precisely correct. That is why I specified it that way.

best,

.................john