LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-21-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
Hm...I am looking where I can buy that in my town now. When I was younger there was a store famous for dried fruits and nuts and now...I do not know what happened to it..../sadface
I just make it with stuff from the supermarket; have a look on the labels and you might find something local, failing that opt for 'american'. Dried ready-to-eat figs, apricots, plums and dates are great in it, raisins add a deeper flavor to the honey. For nuts you can use anything, but walnuts and pecans go really well. I don't tend to use peanut, i find it's too strong a taste.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Pattie (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2011, 05:41 PM

We're in New Jersey and always travel with boxes of salt water taffy in case we need a gift.

Cheers,

Pattie
(#13 (permalink))
Old
hinacamui (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to hinacamui
08-27-2011, 02:48 PM

Hey, I know that the OP has probably bought a gift and gave it already, but I'll leave a basic guide for giving gifts in Japan. Y'all can correct me if I'm wrong, this is just my opinion based on experiences while living in Japan.

I've found that practical things like soy sauce/spices etc. is popular. And the women are particularly pleased with that kind of thing. So maybe something like that, except with a foreign spin on it.
Soap works; but be careful with 'em and give something neutral and mild-scented. American, scented soaps/perfumes/etc. are really strong from a Japanese point of view.
Don't give objects/figurines. Japanese houses are usually small, and medium-sized/big "okimono" objects aren't the best gift unless you've seen the inside of the house already. Food is appreciated; good cheese is really expensive in Japan because everything is imported, nuts are expensive too (and good ones are rare). Ain't much good chocolates either. Maybe a Ghirardelli?
When buying presents overseas, keep in mind the packaging. If plastic and cardboard or paper are stuck together really securely, it might be really hard to throw away depending on how the city disposes of trash. Packaging that contains metal is a tad frowned upon, unless it's something reusable like an aluminum can.
Don't get anything too flashy or impressive, because they're going to feel obligated to give something of equal or better value.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
alexfrey (Offline)
New to JF

09-15-2011, 02:04 PM

Maybe, if you have already analyzed what people like (Soy sauce and so on) you should kind of create a big gift basket? With this gift basket you can show your own creativity and you can include a lot of things one can really need in every day cooking life - not just soy sauce but other great things like spices, herbs and red wine gifts.
Nothing is as special as a really great gift basket - because the family can therefore see that you really thought about every piece you put into that basket carefully.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

09-15-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinacamui View Post
soy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfrey View Post
Soy sauce and so on
Is this a humor thread or is my brain simply not working at 3 a.m.?

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-15-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Is this a humor thread or is my brain simply not working at 3 a.m.?
That appears to be the response from a bot, as there's a link in there somewhere that has nothing to do with soy sauce.... You're alertness at 3am is still there....