JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

Must sees in Tokyo? - 07-27-2011, 10:55 PM

I know there's a thread for Must Sees in Japan, but I wanted to start a thread for my own benefit and for others as for many people, Tokyo is either the first place they visit in Japan, or at least a part of their journey.
I've seen a lot of Tokyo, but I know there's an entire city and I've probably only scratched the surface. So I'd like for you guys who have been to Tokyo to list anything from Restaurants, Temples, Stores, or anything else in Tokyo that's great to do or see.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

07-28-2011, 01:32 AM

I've never lived in Tokyo but lived in Yokohahama, about an 18 minute ride from Shinagawa on the Keihin-Tohoku line so I spent a fair amount of time there.

Some personal favorites:
Kichijouji - Not far from Shinjuku station on the Chuuou line heading towards Mitaka (I think). Very nice town with a lot of great eateries and an extremely large park (for Tokyo) and very beautiful on a sunny day. Everything else thinks so too though, so it's very crowded on weekends. I went there for Hanami, it's fairly romantic because of the water and swan boats and sakura, but Japanese parents also love dumping their kids there and letting them run crazy.

Akihabara - Need I say more. They've started doing Walker's Paradise again (roads are closed except for pedestrians) so that's a great way to experience a normally crowded district. Video games, maid cafes, electronics..

Asakusa - Very touristy but a great place to buy souvenirs or sight-see because of Sensouji (the temple at the end of all the little shops) and a good place to take a picture of the Golden Poo

Ueno - Great area with a huge park with lots of museums (8 of them in total I think), a zoo (with pandas!), and nearby is Ameyoko, a street bazaar type area.

Odaibo - Good date spot. Or it was, until the power saving measures. The bridge is all lit-up, there's a ferris wheel, some nice places to eat, big Fuji TV station where you can overlook some of Tokyo..if you take the Yurikamome from Shinbashi it's a great view in transit as well

So much more..but that's all for now..it really is a massive city with so much to do and see, depending on your interests.

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

07-28-2011, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the reply! I actually live in Tokyo, so truthfully I've stomped around most of those areas.What I'm more specifically looking for are actual stores, restaurants, and such that are within the places you've listed. So please, if you could, list any special places you love to go to when you're out and about the city. For example "Within Akiba: Head to Super Potato for all kinds of retro games!" and things of that nature.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-28-2011, 01:58 AM

The Golden Gai area in Shinjuku is a must see I reckon. Some of the coolest little bars I've ever been to and so much choice in such a small area!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
07-28-2011, 11:04 AM

I definetly recommend Kichijoji Area for walking around, looking for good restaurants and small shops.
The Park (Inokashirakoen) is really nice especially during autum.
DSCF9186.jpg (image)
On the weekend there is a art market in the park (i dont remember if it was Saturday or Sunday...) DSCF9221.jpg (image)

Now to the tips for this Area.

When you are walking from Kichijoji Station towards the Park you will walk along a small street. Exit Kichijoji Station not towards the Bus station and the arcade but towards the other side. You will end up on a smaller street. Go straight till you hit a big road. Cross the road and turn right. Take the first left and keep walking. You will hit the park after a while.
On this road there are alot of nice small places to eat or shop.
There is a place called König selling german style "curry sausage" and "hot wine"
DSCF9271.jpg (image)
DSCF9272.jpg (image)
DSCF9273.jpg (image)

further towards the Park the is a yakitori stall. I haven´t tried it but my japanese friends said its quite famous and good.
DSCF9266.jpg (image)

If you exit towards the Bus station enter the arcade. After a while there will be a bakery on your left selling german style bread to a decent price. There is also a good shop for t-shirts on the right, but i don´t remember the name...
At the end of the arcade there is a small restaurant on the other side of the street. You cannot really miss it because the front doesn´t fit with the other buildings. I don´t remember the name either but its a cozy place cooking south Japan Fusion food or something. Its right across the street, their menu is outside, they have some green plants outside and you will have to go up some stairs towars the windows with wooden frames.

Well i hope thats the kind of information you were looking for. Just be aware that i lived there during end of 2008, so some places might have closed down.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)

Last edited by Firebird : 07-28-2011 at 11:10 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2011, 11:11 PM

I also really enjoy spending time around the Kichijoji area. In Inokashira park we went to:

PEPACAFE FOREST

It is in the park at the end of the bridge where you can rent the swan paddle boats. It's open air and has really great food! Good Thai curry and lovely cold drinks.

Also in that area, if you are a knitter go to Avril. It is a world famous yarn shop, they sell yarns containing steel:

AVRIL Kichijoji Shop in Tokyo

We also had heard about and tracked down a burger joint in Shibuya called W.P.Goldburger. It was a nice casual place to end a long day eating a (really good) burger and washing it down with beer. I had the basic Whoopi Goldburger, J. had the Kevin Bacon. Map:

Last edited by edelweiss : 07-31-2011 at 11:50 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-01-2011, 12:55 AM

When I was living in Tokyo, I mostly explore places which are not found in Tourist books anymore, unless of course I really have to.

Then I joined the Waterwalks group , which unfortunately is I think no longer exist. I found this group in the Tokyo Meetup Group website and I really had fun exploring the suburbs of Tokyo/Saitama/Chiba.

Most of the time , I am in Shimokitazawa, Nakameguro, Ikebukuro, Okubo, Machida or sometimes just walking around Omotesando.

There is always something new in Tokyo , thinking about it , makes me wanna go back again

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#8 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-01-2011, 01:34 AM

Tokyo
1.jpg

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

08-01-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siokan View Post
Tokyo
Can you list the names of these places?

(#10 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-01-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siokan View Post
wow.. where are this places?

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life