JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-30-2011, 05:25 AM

I don`t think they`ll block you from *landing* even if you do have a felony conviction on your record. It is more to do with long term stays and actual living in Japan. I think that tourists are pretty much let through unless they`re currently being hunted for something.

I happen to know someone who had a felony drug conviction and they had no problem getting into Japan for the 90 tourist days. Never tried to get any other visa, so I have no idea how that would have worked out for them.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2011, 03:54 PM

やっぱやめ良くないな。

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff

Last edited by siokan : 07-30-2011 at 04:02 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
darkshadowgirl (Offline)
New to JF

07-31-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I don`t think they`ll block you from *landing* even if you do have a felony conviction on your record. It is more to do with long term stays and actual living in Japan. I think that tourists are pretty much let through unless they`re currently being hunted for something.

I happen to know someone who had a felony drug conviction and they had no problem getting into Japan for the 90 tourist days. Never tried to get any other visa, so I have no idea how that would have worked out for them.
Thank you so much for this response! I'm so glad to hear that someone you know personally, with the same situation, had no problem. It's quite a relief. That does make sense that they would only look into it more for long term visas.
We are only concerned about landing for a 2 week trip. That would be stupid to deny us entry, I'm sure they want our tourist money.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

07-31-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadowgirl View Post

Overseas Japanese diplomatic establishments may not issue a visa to an applicant who comes under the following categories or is suspected of coming under these categories:

- If the contents of the application are false.
- If the applicant has a criminal record including more than one year's imprisonment.
- If the applicant has a criminal record involving narcotics, marijuana, stimulants,
prostitution, etc.
lol that's like America denying entry to anyone who owns a gun license

EDIT
I thought I should go on topic a little more.

To get my work visa I had to get my criminal record check documents verified by the police department and included in the application, they do check it.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-31-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much for this response! I'm so glad to hear that someone you know personally, with the same situation, had no problem. It's quite a relief. That does make sense that they would only look into it more for long term visas.
We are only concerned about landing for a 2 week trip. That would be stupid to deny us entry, I'm sure they want our tourist money.
Well, I would still check with the embassy to be safe. It would be awful to be turned away... It doesn`t seem like they`re doing a very in depth check at immigration for tourists, but who knows what shows up when they scan the passport.

Also, be aware that it was 5 years ago that the person I know visited Japan. Things may have changed since.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Hello,
Someone I know wants to go to Japan and has a Class B felony on his record. I have heard that some countries will not allow felons? How is Japan on this?

Also, even if they don't allow them. How would they know? I highly doubt they run a background check at the airport. Running a background check even in the USA cost a lot of money and takes a few weeks to process.

Anytime I have entered a country all they do is look at my passport, look at me, and maybe ask a few questions then let me through. Never checked my background.

Any clues on this?
If you are talking about a 3 month (or less) visit, as an American you do not need a Visa for entry. But in the aircraft before you land and get into Japanese immigration you will receicve a declaration form that you need to fill out.

One of the questions I believe is about convictions for crimes. It is a yes/no type answer, if I remember correctly. If you indicate a "yes", my guess is that it will result in some likely additional verbal questioning at the entry point.

If you indicated "no" ....and it was discovered that it was a deliberate lie........ I'm guessing that they would not have much of a sense of humor about it.

You will also be fingerprinted (electronic scan) and photographed at the point of entry.

How tied into international crime record databases they are .... who knows? If they are, the name might cause an automatic flag to come up. Probably unlikely, but......

best,

...................john
(#17 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-31-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I wonder if the finger print searches the whole USA criminal database?

That sounds highly doubtful considering how much massive amounts of information that is.

But Canada and the USA apparently do as they have a very tight relationship. But that would make more sense as they are right next to each other and hooking up the databases wouldn't be that hard. And i don't think USA and Japan are THAT cozy with each other.
In my experience in Japan barely any government department databases are interconnected let alone them being connected to another countrys criminal database. Japan may make a lot of high tech stuff but you'll find that it's use within Japan is much less than most other developed nations. Especially within the bloated and incredibly inefficient bureaucracy where paper filing is still more popular than putting things on a computer database.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-01-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Japan may make a lot of high tech stuff but you'll find that it's use within Japan is much less than most other developed nations.
It always amazes me when I am there that the "land of the rising computer" apparently can't seem to figure out how to use them .

best,

.................john
(#19 (permalink))
Old
darkshadowgirl (Offline)
New to JF

08-01-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
If you are talking about a 3 month (or less) visit, as an American you do not need a Visa for entry. But in the aircraft before you land and get into Japanese immigration you will receicve a declaration form that you need to fill out.

One of the questions I believe is about convictions for crimes. It is a yes/no type answer, if I remember correctly. If you indicate a "yes", my guess is that it will result in some likely additional verbal questioning at the entry point.

If you indicated "no" ....and it was discovered that it was a deliberate lie........ I'm guessing that they would not have much of a sense of humor about it.

You will also be fingerprinted (electronic scan) and photographed at the point of entry.

How tied into international crime record databases they are .... who knows? If they are, the name might cause an automatic flag to come up. Probably unlikely, but......

best,

...................john

Yes this form question is a HUGE point of consternation for me. I don't know if he should check yes or check no. I don't want to give us away by checking yes, and going through unnecessary questioning and harassment. Or just checking no and hope not have any sort of background check.

I am leaning towards checking no. Because it just seems so crazy that they would check millions of American records to find one criminal offense from over 5 years ago.

IF that does happen the then can just say he forgot about it since it was so long ago and not a big deal.. cause it really wasn't

I dunnoo I just don't know...
(#20 (permalink))
Old
darkshadowgirl (Offline)
New to JF

08-01-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
lol that's like America denying entry to anyone who owns a gun license

EDIT
I thought I should go on topic a little more.

To get my work visa I had to get my criminal record check documents verified by the police department and included in the application, they do check it.
See this is interesting... they do do background checks.. but you had to fill out a bunch of paperwork and have it verified by the police department. Which makes sense.

SO it's not like an automatic scan you name and *beep beep beep* every record known to man about you pops up. They have to go through some process I am pretty sure they don't do in the airport.